Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
II XII I III XI

TITLEPIC Request / Question

I have a request and/or question. The question is how do you convert an image to the DOOM color palette so that it doesn't become discolored? Specifically, I created a decent TITLEPIC in Adobe Photoshop, but it became discolored when I merged it into my WAD-File; how do I prevent this?

The request is; would anyone be willing to create a good TITLEPIC for me? E-Mail me at xix_ix_vii_xiii_i@hotmail.com if you want to see some screenshots or need more information before taking on such a request if you'd like.

At the very least I'd greatly appreciate if someone could answer my question or explain it me. If all else fails I'll use a previous TITLEPIC I was given. Thank you for your time.

I think when you import a graphic into XWE it automatically converts it to the Doom palette, but I could be wrong.

Yes it do, but that's not what he was asking, he was asking how you prevent that it becomes discolored.

And the answer to that is, you make sure that you are using colors in your images that is supported by the Doom palette, OR you make changes to the colors after you applied the Doom palette.

If you don't know how to extract the color palette from a graphics, you can find the palette files for Photoshop in XWE's subdirectory /Palettes (together with all the other colorpalettes to games that the editor support). You apply the palette to the image by going into the rolldown menu, "Image" where you select the submenu "mode" in which you select "Indexed color" and when it asks you for the index you want to use, select custom and then simply hit the "load" button and select the Doom palette.

EDIT, I suggest you use no ditherting when converting it to the color palette. Using dithering only make it look terrible in the low resolutions that Doom use.

yey! There are palletes somewhere! It was a real pain to hand-copy doom's color pallete into GIMP (like photoshop, but GNU and free) so I never finished. I never knew there were palletes anywhere and I am quite sure Doom's format wouldn't work with GIMP anyway. now I guess I just need to convert a "heared of" file format (photoshop pallete) info another (gimp pallete).

Can't the Gimp do this automatically?

In PSP you just open up the Doom2 title screen(for example) and then choose Image-Palette-Save Palette.

Later you just choose Load palette instead and apply it to your image and bingo!

You can save the pallete of a 256 color image with GIMP. As for how it is done exactly... well I can't really remember, I haven't extracted the pallete in a very long time because I haven't really needed to. Somewhere in the pallete stuff.

hmm....to get around this in photoshop i usually do this:
select your source image, ready to plop in the wad.
in photoshop(keeping the image on your high rgb quality), select the whole image
in the options bar select IMAGE, then go to ADJUST, pick SELECTIVE COLOR.
now, you should be looking at your image at the biggest size possible while manipulating the color sliders designated for each color. you wanna manipulate each color once, then go back to final tune them since you have been adjusting them 1 by one. since your still playing doom, the palette should be burned into your memory enough to adjust the colors accordingly to doom's palette manually without losing too much image detail and/or having the alternative of doom swapping your hi res realistic colors with neon purple crap.
ALSO: adjusting the brightness contrast and/or using the normal color balance options, etc...should be used in conjunction with the above.
finally, you can turn the image into it's INDEXED COLOR from the IMAGE/MODE option. You may have to play around with it a bit more, compare your hi res to a version doom has "purple-fied", etc.
(a bit of info: PC PAINTBRUSH is freeware now. If you can find it, it had an excellent pallette saving option, as well as a bunch of other nifty stuff that make it seem like it was tailor made for doom graphics design).

I fuigured this out the other day when messing around with Photoshop, To get a pallet Open up DooM2 with a RECENT*** version of XWE and save the "PLAYPAL" one and rename the exstension from *.lmp to *.ACT, and then go

Image > Mode > Indexed Colour

Then change the Palette to : Custom ...

Go Select Load and then Use the DooM Pallet you renammed to ACT, and Vola, It converts it to DooM Colours, Very well I might Add.

Heres a pic of something im making for a title pic. I just eddited 2 photos I took and played around with them...

Yes this is doom Format:

Another thing to watch out for is if, when downcolouring, your graphics applications dithers the image. ThumbsPlus does, for example, so make sure when reducing colours, you turn dithering off. Otherwise your image has lots of spots, which in DOOM is much worse than a badly-converted colour, trust me. I was hurt by this a lot until I found out what ThumbsPlus was doing behind my back (i.e., dithering was controlled by a tiny checkbox, which was ON by default without attention being loudly called to it).