Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Searcher

Doom2 Secret Levels.

I have been trying to locate the info on the secret levels for doom2. I know one is tied to level 15 but I am unsure where the 2nd secret level is tied to. Do both exit level 15 or is one on 15 and one on level 16.

The second secret level (map32) can be accessed from map31 (the first secret level). It's a secret door near the normal exit.

And that's same in every megawad i've played!

That's because it's hard coded in the exe. If you have a secret exit on levels other than 15 and 31, it could produce strange results.

That's because it's hard coded in the exe. If you have a secret exit on levels other than 15 and 31, it could produce strange results.

True, but if you make your megawad for Zdoom (and probably EDGE, maybe other ports too) you can set up any level to follow any other, put your secret levels wherever you like in the sequence, and have as many as you want, by a bit of cunning use of the MAPINFO lump.

The "strange results" you could get using the other exe's that just have the original doom2 behaviour is that using the secret exit from any regular level will take you to level 31, and the regular exit from 31 will take you to map 16. The secret exit from map 31 will take you to map 32, and the regular exit on map 32 will take you to map 16.

So if you put a secret exit on say, map 01, it will take you to map 31, completing map 31 will take you to map 16, missing out maps 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15.

If you put a secret exit on say, map 20, it will take you to map 31, completing map 31 will take you back to map16, and you will have to play maps 16,17,18,19 and 20 to get back to where you were before.

This behaviour can be put to good use, although I have only done so using similar behaviour with the doom1 secret levels. eg you could use it to miss out levels to shorten your project, but still finish on map 30, or create a loop of levels for DM. It's probably not what you are looking for though.

Or you can make it in a style with "alterante routes". What I mean is that on map 13 you can have a hallway that goes two ways leading to different style exits. One exit takes you to map 14, the other to map 31. Level 14's exit takes you to map 15, and map 31's will take you to map 32. Both map 32 and 15 will take you to map 16.

This gives an "alterante routes" feel. It would be really cool if map 31 is similar to map 14 but takes you to places you couldn't go in map 14 and vice versa. Same with map 32 and 15.