Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Unknown

I think that most of the levels should be small in DOOM3

Well you maybe think i'm a stupid newbiw but i think it's better whit many small levels and some really large levels. Well small levels don't require so much GPU power and have really heavy ( beautiful textures ) and big levels have not so good textures and require more GPU power

Well the texture load will already be pretty high. I don't think there will be any textures smaller than 256x256, and they're using FOUR seperate maps for each texture. A 32Mb video card won't do if you want the high quality textures, I'm afraid.

I want large lavish levels that inspire awe and terror. Small levels are good for one thing and thats DM.

I think they should be about as large as the original Doom's maps. Unless, and I'm still hoping for this, they put in terrain stuff as in RTCW.

i dont mind large levels as long as they let you save during the level. actually i want a game where the whole thing is one really big level. that would rule.

i dont mind large levels as long as they let you save during the level. actually i want a game where the whole thing is one really big level. that would rule.

Yeah, similar to games like Metal Gear Solid, where large amounts of time are spent exploring single HUGE areas. I guess this would break up the cliche "Level, boss, level, boss..."

Like in Soul Reaver, where you could literally hike (climb, swim, fight...) from one end of the game world to the other, without stopping for map loads. Same way in GTA3. Of course, the game would take a bit to load when you boot it up...

I like the Half-Life setup, where you have smallish/middle-sized maps that don't take long to load and that you can move freely between.

Same way in GTA3. Of course, the game would take a bit to load when you boot it up...

Aahhh, screw it. GTA3 is one THE greatest games ever. EVER!!!

I want large lavish levels that inspire awe and terror. Small levels are good for one thing and thats DM.

absolute complete agreement with you on both points, bring on the massive, terrifying, demon filled levels!

Levels,big or small is not really a big issue to me. What is
important to me is the "Design Criteria" as a whole. And I hope id would use some of T.Clancy's RainbowSix series style
of levels,as far as SPACE STATION levels go. The biggest things I notice in those games is.....

1.)Players have more than "ONE ROUTE" through any given level.
2.)Levels are multi-layered.

1.)Players have more than "ONE ROUTE" through any given level.
2.)Levels are multi-layered.

Hell yeah, man. I always hated those games where there was only one way to finish the level or solve the puzzle. That's why I love Real Time Strategy...

...now where is that StarCraft cd...

speaking of soul reaver did you ever play blood omen? that game was like 3 cd's crammed into 1 with unbearable load times. just to get into the pause menu took forever.

Don't get your hopes too high people. Technically they can make awfully large leves because of the simple fact that they can use portals. You all know how most levels in today games are segmented by invisible planes.

If the memory management system works right, you won't have to wait a lot between each segment. But bear in mind there's an unexpected graphical load here. 4 art pieces per texture? That's not gonna load fast. Half a million hi-poly reference models? Load up one of those on MAX and you'll see how much it takes to load.

You could always include a dynamic loading system, like in Diablo 2, but I'm not sure how much would that affect the framerate. And it's pretty much beaten up so far. Adding some background HD reading will do nothing more than make the game unplayable on the lowest computers (take that as GF2 powered ones).