Would you buy Oblivion?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy Oblivion?

• Absolutely!
    • Maybe, if I felt like it.
    • Probably not, only if it was on sale.
    • Fuck no! RPGs are for Wusses!

http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_overview.htm

It's pretty rad, a sequal to the mindnumbinly open-ended Morrowind, Oblivion seems to be living up to it's much acclaimed older brother's name, just check out those Screen Shots!

If you're into RPGs, and haven't already tried Morrowind, you should give this line a go, Hell, I still haven't beaten all the possible quests in Morrowind and I've had it for 5 years...I think, not counting the expansions, well anyway, If you like Doom Editing, you might want to give the Elder Scrolls Construction Set a try as well.

I bought Morrowind when it came out and I really enjoyed it. I've been following the progress on Oblivion since it was announced and I'll definitely buy when it will be release.

Morrowind is the only game from the past five years to satisfy me. It was worth hundreds of hours of play, and the memories will last a lifetime.

I would definitely consider buying it if it were as big as the previous game and equally non-linear.

Oi, Morrowind is such a good game, but I hope they learned how to better program memory management into the next game. Currently running the game for too long will start to DEVOWER all resources in the computer until you can't even use a memory scrubber to keep it going. :/

Also reminds me of my 'Dragoon' character I have left lying around on my hd. Had the ability to leap 20 feet into the air as well as a 'travel amulet' that let him jump thousands of feet in the air, leaping from town to town, bringing his summoned spear down upon the unsuspecting heads of his enemy. Sure I could have made him invincible to spells and attacks, but that just ain't fun. :D

... *digs up his dragoon char and plays morrowind again* Anyone remember what you did with Keening and Sunder after you find them? ^^;

I'll most certainly get it, one way or another ;) If not only for the mods. I still play morrowind to this day because of all the nifty user mods for it. Recently got one that changes the levelling system, and makes the game more interesting to play.

But yeah I hope it's much more optimised than morrowind was. I still can't run it at a decent framerate even with a 6600GT :/ (I have a suspicion it relies more on cpu power than anything...)

SlayeR said:

I'll most certainly get it, one way or another ;) If not only for the mods. I still play morrowind to this day because of all the nifty user mods for it. Recently got one that changes the levelling system, and makes the game more interesting to play.

But yeah I hope it's much more optimised than morrowind was. I still can't run it at a decent framerate even with a 6600GT :/ (I have a suspicion it relies more on cpu power than anything...)

Strange, considering my computer is likely older than yours. With a P3 1000, 512, and Radeon 9000, I finished the game two years after I bought it (about 500 hours of play).

The only issue I have with buying it is the replay value. If it's like Daggerfall I'll be hooked on it for months. (I found that, despite Daggerfall's plethora of bugs and glitches, it was more fun and interesting than Morrowind)

AndrewB said:

Strange, considering my computer is likely older than yours. With a P3 1000, 512, and Radeon 9000, I finished the game two years after I bought it (about 500 hours of play).

Heh, well, by 'decent framerate' I mean as fast as my computer runs other games from it's time ;) It runs at about the same speed on my 6600gt/1024/amd2500+ as it did on my old ti4200/512/amd2000+...

It's still certainly playable though, just big cities like balmora slow it down to around 10-20fps.

For Morrowind, I can't stand anything above (that's right, above) 800x600 because the menus are so small. And denser fog creates a richer atmosphere. Plus the reflectionism of the water is horringly fake.

But I don't care; I'm going to make a movie from that game some day.

Personally, I would like Morrowind except for the fact that the combat system is obnoxious. I hate when I hate a giant axe, take a swing, the axe passes right through the attacking monster, and yet there is no connect. I guess it's supposed to be one of those "accuracy" things, but really, they could at least make it clear that I missed. It's really irritating to not be able to tell the difference between a miss and a hit.

This looks very nice. But on a side note I recall, some time back, someone mentioning that Morrowind is available for free download. Is that (still) true?

geekmarine said:

Personally, I would like Morrowind except for the fact that the combat system is obnoxious. I hate when I hate a giant axe, take a swing, the axe passes right through the attacking monster, and yet there is no connect. I guess it's supposed to be one of those "accuracy" things, but really, they could at least make it clear that I missed. It's really irritating to not be able to tell the difference between a miss and a hit.

I hated that too, but they say that they have fixed it in oblivion, every attack has a chance of missing, not because of dice roll numbers, but because it didn't connect, etc.

Job said:

This looks very nice. But on a side note I recall, some time back, someone mentioning that Morrowind is available for free download. Is that (still) true?

Not that I know of, but Hell, for 25/30 bucks you can get Morrowind and the expansions.

The worst thing about Morrowind, though, was the player control. It was only slightly more realistic than Wolf3D.

Job said:

The Elder Scrolls: Arena is available for free download, but not Morrowind.

caco_killer said:

and if you have a C-Media soundcard, you can't play with sound or it'll suck up memory worse than Unreal.

caco_killer said:

Arena was alright, it was the turning point from combat to RP, Daggerfall was the one to really shine.

pilottobombadier said:

and if you have a C-Media soundcard, you can't play with sound or it'll suck up memory worse than Unreal.

I don't know if this is the Morrowind engine you're talking about, but I have a generic sound card, and notice no problem.

AndrewB said:

For Morrowind, I can't stand anything above (that's right, above) 800x600 because the menus are so small. And denser fog creates a richer atmosphere. Plus the reflectionism of the water is horringly fake.

But I don't care; I'm going to make a movie from that game some day.

Most games let you increase the menu/test size.

this makes me want to reinstall daggerfall. that game was great.

AndrewB said:

I don't know if this is the Morrowind engine you're talking about, but I have a generic sound card, and notice no problem.

no, Arena came out in 1993 :p it looks like soundblaster or bust. SB Emulation denied.