Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mogul

3d fx question

I just got a new computer, with XP and it came with a ATI Radeon 32 DDR card (32 megs). It's pretty nice, but to tell you the truth, I actually enjoy my 3dfx Voodoo 3 (16 megs) PCI better. It runs games smoother at higher resolutions and seems to have slightly sharper picture. And besides that, you just can't use Glide with anything else!! So, here're my questions. Can I have both cards plugged in at once? Also, as we all know and hate, 3dfx is not supported by those punks at Nvidia (who I love, but realy screwed the Voodoo kids) anymore. Can I still use glide on my XP system?

two things:

1) 3D-FX sucks. Always has, always will. I can't believe no one sees this yet...

2) ATI cards are complete crap. Total nightmares. Good luck getting some old games to even recognize the Radeon. There's a reason why they have ATI video cards and Crystal Sound Fusion sound cards in ready made computers. They're cheap pieces of crap. That's why they're in the low priced $500-1000 systems.

Your best bet is to go with Geforce 2 or 3, or a good old slow-but-solid-and-stable Matrox card.

Definitely. If everything is correctly installed, at least Direct3D games will allow you to choose the Primary Device (the Radeon) or the Voodoo3.

OK, sounds good. What do you consider "properly installed"? And one more thing (sort of related) is there a way to get the RTCW demo to work without 3dfx? I assume that the full version will have support for other cards...

elbryan42...gah. I thought you had half a brain. I have but four words for you:

SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH!

ATI cards are excellent pieces of hardware, and 3dfx made decent hardware back in the day.

Anyway, darky, good luck getting glide on XP. It's been done, but it's a REAL PAIN. Your best bet is to try the boards at x3dfx and, uh, yeah.

But why would you want a Voodoo3 over a Radeon? If you've got the newest drivers, your Radeon should spank the shit out of your Voodoo3. Christ, with any but the default XP drivers, your Radeon should beat the living shit out of your Voodoo3. The V3 is old, love. Get over it.

[edit]AAGH that's what I thought. It sounds like you have the default WinXP drivers installed for the Radeon. Go to ati.com and download the newest WinXP drivers for your Radeon. RTCW should run FINE without a 3dfx card, in fact, it should run better on the newer ATI or Nvidia cards than it ever would on a 3dfx or Matrox card.

Well, for instance, Jedi Knight, one of my favorite older games, runs very choppy when you set it on a high resolution when I use my Radeon. Now, remember.. This new computer has 256 RAM, 900 MHz AMD processor, and a 32 MB 3d card. My old one has 96 RAM and a PII 266. With the Voodoo (on the highest resolution) it ran (and in my opinion) looked waaaaaaaaay better. That's just my opinion!! I don't know. Also, the questions in that last post are still left wanting an answer! Thanks.

Geez... sorry... it's only an opinion. I've had nothing but troubles with all ATI cards I've tried. A few friends have bought Radeons and they can't get half of their old games won't work. One bought a Geforce 2 instead, and it was nothing but smooth sailing.

And I've always hated 3D-FX. Just a personal preference. Even when it was new, I favored the richer, clearer graphics on my G200 to the washed out looking graphics on the Voodoo 2. I favored looks over speed.

Of course, we all have opinions, and if everyone could agree on one thing, then there would be only one video card on the market.

ATI cards are fine hardware wise. It's the drivers y'see. ATI can't write a decent driver to save their lives. Everybody I know who owns an ATI card has problems of one kind or another. I always liked 3dfx simply because they did write very good drivers. That makes the cards work very well within their limitations at least. They were behind the curve technically though. Kiss of death in the computer hardware industry.

Alright. Great. Now, one main reason I even brought this up... Is there a way to play the Return to Castle Wolfenstein MP demo without a 3dfx card? I installed the demo, but when I start, it says it couldn't open the open GL subsystem, that it couldn't detect Glide and it assumed there wasn't a 3dfx card. Which there's not, I have the Radeon.

Go read my post again. Damnit.

Anyway, look for an opengl32.dll in your RTCW directory. Delete it. Then, update your ATI drivers and try it again. Don't come back until you do that.

try changeing shit like DMA and irq, or install a AGP driver, i know that can help. Also it may be a bug in windows or the driver so update the driver. Also get new patches for games too. ATI AGP is far bettert than a voodoo3 PCI, come the fuck on. honestly on my scale i take Nvidia first and then ATI, 3dFX is not high on my list even if there old shit was good. personaly i like my GeForce 2 MX 400, nut the ATI cards are good

Flathead....Look, Kat is right...do what she say's....she knows......also.. I'm kinda confused at that question........will RTCW run without glide...OF COURSE....considering glide is not even a major form of 3D acceleration anymore, it died with 3DFX. RTCW has Glide support. but the list of cards supported..(on bottom of box are GL cards)....also, that Opengl subsystem thing I have had with Win2K and RTCW too...so...Some help there will be nice too.....Riva TNT2 32MB......anyway thats my .5 of a US cent...=D

Flathead....Look, Kat is right...do what she say's....she knows......also.. I'm kinda confused at that question........

Err sorry if I wake you up from the dreamworld you're currently spending your days in, but SAME ICON DOES NOT EQUAL SAME USER. Use those pretty blue eyes.

1) 3D-FX sucks. Always has, always will. I can't believe no one sees this yet...

Because their cards kick ass?

At least the ones I had did back in the day. I don't know about all their latest stuff, maybe it sucks. I still have to get a Voodoo5 one of these days so I can play my GLQuake and GLHexen2 stuff again, those are about the most recent games I bother playing.

Hmm... Lut. You're a lot like me. You like 3dfx cards and keyboards. There aren't many people like that...

You like 3dfx cards and keyboards. There aren't many people like that...

Really? I remember back in the day 3DFX was the only kind of card anybody who had the slightest concern for graphical ability would buy. The pre-Voodoo3 days that is.

Correction. I should have said "there aren't many people like that left".

Which is true, because Voodoo cards are getting outdated and crappy as time goes by.

because Voodoo cards are getting outdated and crappy as time goes by.

If you keep buying all the newest games, that may be true.

But I can't afford those and don't really care for playing those anyways, so I won't be worrying about graphical capabilities beyond Quake2 standards until Doom3 arrives. Once I ditch this TNT2 and get a Voodoo5 5500 I'll be set.

Another reason why I liked the Voodoo is because of its great VESA support. Does the TNT2 give you it too?

Does the TNT2 give you it too?

I'm not totally sure, I just know I can't play Quake, Quake Mission Packs, Hexen 2 or Hexen 2 mission packs in 3D-accelerated mode with the TNT2. (Those are the only recent games with 3D acceleration which I bother playing now and then.)

Speed is only a small factor when it comes to video cards and other hardware. When I buy a video card, I don't want to tweak every freaking game I have just to run them accelerated. That's why I don't like ATI cards.

Ease of use and stability is more important to me than squeezing a few more frames per second out of a game.

I also prefer richer color to speed, thus my dislike for 3DFX. That, and Voodoo ditches their old hardware faster than Sega does.

Ooops....Sorry, didn't notice that..............easy mistake to make..considering you were the only person that used that icon until now..okay...darky47 should heed my advice...no big worry

Does the TNT2 give you it too?

I'm not totally sure, I just know I can't play Quake, Quake Mission Packs, Hexen 2 or Hexen 2 mission packs in 3D-accelerated mode with the TNT2. (Those are the only recent games with 3D acceleration which I bother playing now and then.)

I AM FAMILIAR WITH THE PAIN OF THE TNT2 REFUSING TO GRANT GLHEXEN2.

You guys are idiots if you can't get GLH2 working on a TNT2. TNT2 should run GLH2 fine if you configure GLH2 right. Go into the GLH2 folder and delete the opengl32.dll file.

Do you think the Voodoo 3 would have sold much more if it had been called Banshee Pro?

If I may shove forth my full penneth before someone has answered the good Nuno's question, ATI and me have never eally got on. It goes back to the days of my ancient 8mb cards and Duke Nukem not working properly, and the IRQ/DMA settings never worked and were a fucking minefield basically. Thing is, I've always used ATI. Now, next year, when I finally indulge myself and build my dreamsystem (cash provided) I shall be very tempted not to, basically, and even though I do think it is a driver thing and not a hardware thing with ATI I shall nonetheless ask Kat to bite th ebullet and recommend me something else.

actually, I'll answer the good nuno's question: yes, basically. After all, scientists have proved that it's all in the name anyway (except with pros like us, of course)

/goes off to buy new super mini-g shockproof fm tuning water beater 20000 pulverisor banshee megawatch... lol