Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

KS map 30 in 0:16 (TAS/built)

Hello,

I did Kama Sutra map 30 (cheated) in 0:16. Doom2.exe format, so use doom2.exe or PrBoom 2.x.y.

It looks shaky as hell because of slowmotion but what are you gonna do? BTW, this isn't "only" TAS, I also built the first tenths with LMPC to get going from the first game tic. However, there's no strafe-50 used at all. Exact time was 0:16.97 :-)

Enjoy!

Nice. But do you really think 0:15 might be possible? Wouldn't that require a whole second to be saved within what are the first 3 seconds of this demo?

BTW, did you consider trying a TAS Max on this map? I wonder which side would be quicker.

Thanks. Well, just by using strafe-50 instead of strafe-40 in the beginning (as well as the ending), I'd estimate you could save at least 0.3 or 0.4 seconds... Note that the ending isn't optimized in any way, you could time it to perfection by having strafe-50 with maximum speed to get over the lowering wall at the earliest possible time...

Add to this time saved by getting a perfectly timed and placed hit on the barrel so that you can enter the teleporter without losing any speed. I get held up slightly at that barrel, so I probably lose somewhere around 0.4 seconds (time for stopping and accelerating again). So, just implementing this, could place the demo in the 0:16.2 - 0:16.3 range. Factor in "perfect" turning/movement to that teleporter ... Let's just say I wouldn't consider 0:15 absolutely impossible.

EDIT: Hmm... and it should also be possible to make a suicide exit slide (using Cyber rockets) which could save even more time...

As I said in the .txt, though, if it is possible at all, it would require building by hand. And it would take a lot of effort and time to do it.

TAS max -> The "easy" side would probably be quicker, 2 BFG blasts per Cyberdemon.. right? 8 Cybers, so 16 blasts with the fire button pressed continuously. If you can survive, it should be possible to have no more than 1 Cyber left when the wall is lowered (at around 17 seconds). It will be a monstrously difficult demo to produce, though...

Well I tried my best to build a demo but only got it down to 16.69, Even with strafe 50 and all the tricky manouvering I could think of I could only get into the teleporter 10 tics faster than yours Kristian. The problem is that you can't get past the barell before it blows up thereby nocking you backwards.

I didn't attempt a cyber rocket or anything else as I don't really see it taking off 69 milliseconds. If anybody wants to pull apart my demo and see what could be built better at the start then please let me know, this was only a 30minute effort so probably some improvements I missed.

Maybe coming up closer to the side wall and shooting the barell against the wall with the writing and then nipping around the corner before it finnishes blowing up might work.

I could also try going against the far wall and maybe shooting the barell sooner, but I don't really see that working as you'd have more distance to come back and would then get hit by the major shock from the barell before you can get to the wall which prevents you from flying backwards.

hmmm.....

RamboBones said:

I didn't attempt a cyber rocket or anything else as I don't really see it taking off 69 milliseconds.

Taking of 69 milliseconds is probably doable - it's taking of 690 that would be a problem. :)

As far as the barrel goes, maybe you could shoot it with the pistol to clear a space between it and the wall, much like Andrey did using the SSG in Level 23 of his 30uv1441 demo. This would prevent time loss by not blowing you back. I went up to the barrel and shot it once with the pistol, and it moved enough to clear a path to the teleporter, so at least that part is possible. The question is if you could shoot the barrel at just the right spot without slowing down. It might be possible with LMPC or even PrBoom if you set the realtic clock rate extremely low.

ultdoomer said:

As far as the barrel goes, maybe you could shoot it with the pistol to clear a space between it and the wall, much like Andrey did using the SSG in Level 23 of his 30uv1441 demo. This would prevent time loss by not blowing you back. I went up to the barrel and shot it once with the pistol, and it moved enough to clear a path to the teleporter, so at least that part is possible. The question is if you could shoot the barrel at just the right spot without slowing down. It might be possible with LMPC or even PrBoom if you set the realtic clock rate extremely low.

I'll ********ly try it, and I have better utilities available to me than LMPC. The only thing I"m worried about is whether I have enough time to change to the pistol or not.

Edit:Why does it keep on changing d-e-f-i-n-a-t-e-l-y to ********ly?

RamboBones said:

The only thing I"m worried about is whether I have enough time to change to the pistol or not.

No need. Just shoot it with the shotgun but aim rather badly. :)

BTW, it's spelt "definitely".

Grazza said:

No need. Just shoot it with the shotgun but aim rather badly. :)

BTW, it's spelt "definitely".

I've been trying the shotgun after realizing it's just impossible to change to the pistol. But no matter how I aim I either miss the barrell, or blow it up. Even the slightest nic with the shotgun seems to explode it. If the rocket launcher didn't take so damn long to shoot after pressing fire then I'd use that unfortunately I can't shoot it soon enough. The machine gun doesn't seem to deliver enough grunt to move the barell either. And the BFG.... well that's just silly :). In one test run the plasma gun actually moved the barell enough to get through but I had to jam myself up right against it in order to nock it sideways so that's not going to work.

Edit: actually the bfg doesn't seem as silly as I first thought, it actually nocks the barell clear across the teleporter so if I can get shot of soon enough before I run into the barell I should be able to step onto the teleporter before the blast hits me.

Edit2: BFG no good, but rocket launcher is. By running all the way to the wall with writing as close to the barell as possible then firing into the wall such that the blast nocks the barell towards the other wall and also throws me backwards into the teleporter. Kristian's original tic count as of entering the teleporter is 77, my tic count from 16:69 is 67, using the rocket launcher gets it to 63, although by optimizing the corners I may be able to get it down as far as 60. But even so I don't see enough time coming off to get to 15 seconds, 16:30 to 16:40 maybe.

Wow, what an interesting read! Thanks, Adrian! :-)

I'm glad I at least could keep you occupied for a couple of hours... Pity though that 0:15 seems too hard to get.