Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ultdoomer

Doom Timing

I was reading this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30uv1441

and it said that Budko's 30uv1441 demo is really over 15 minutes. It said that this is due to something called a "floor function." I clicked on the link, but it brought me to a page with a bunch of text that I didn't understand. Can someone explain to me how this affects Doom's timing? Does this mean that if you started a timer outside of PrBoom's when the demo started and stopped it when the screen bleeds right after the brain is destroyed, it would be over fifteen minutes - or even longer if you include the Achievement Screens?

All it means is that if, e.g., the actual time you take for a level is 0:12.03, 0:12.45, or 0:12.97 it reports it as 0:12 in each case. 14:41 is the total of all the level times rounded down in this way. If you added up all the exact times for all the levels, you would get a larger total. Obviously the actual playing time (including all the intermissions) is somewhat greater again.

Hmmm, that wiki page includes some not very correct statements. It could do with some correcting.

Yeah...

The fastest speedrun through Doom II without tool-assistance and using an unmodified Doom engine is 26 minutes, 9 seconds by Radek Pecka. However, it is vastly outdated and does not use many of the most efficient routes. The difference in quality is accounted for by many top Doom players' preference for recording tool-assisted runs over regular ones.

What a load of crap.

It's the work of an anonymous user: 67.161.57.4, who does not appear to have a very distinguished track record. That IP address is in Fremont, California according to IP Locator.

This and this include the poisonous comments you quote, and this shows some ignorance too. He's also misunderstood Andrey's comments about saves - his comment related to the fact that he used joining rather than saves.

Yeah, I would have started posting suggestions earlier but didn't have time. I'm going to register over there...

As a start I'll probably suggest something like this for that paragraph that caught my eye (not the only thing to change):

"The fastest speedrun through DOOM II without tool-assistance using the unmodified Doom2 engine is 26 minutes, 9 seconds by Radek Pecka; a continuous run where the absence of features that allow to record portions again or otherwise greatly ease precision and quickness are absent."

Completely removing the nonsense that is the last phrase, of course.

The only serious doomer I know in California is Xit Vono.
He lives in Los Altos, a couple dozen miles from Fremont...

But I dont think he would write that.

No, I'm sure he wouldn't, and his IP is very different anyway AFAIK. From what the guy has written, you'd expect him not to be a serious doomer at all, but rather some fanboy who has misunderstood something fundamental.

That place name does ring a bell with me though - it's probably someone who has made some lousy posts here (I often check the IPs in such cases...), but I don't remember who. Edit: there's rip_reb_vodka, although the IP isn't a perfect match.

Regarding the wiki, It would be great if someone could fill in info for people like Adam Hegyi, Anders Johnsen, Yonatan Donner and other speed runners. I lack the knowledge to do them justice.

myk said:

a continuous run where the absence of features that allow to record portions again or otherwise greatly ease precision and quickness are absent

The absence of features are absent? ;)

I have to say that the fact that someone even made a Wiki entry for a specific Doom speedrun (as opposed to runs in general), let alone use it to implicitly disparage the run, surprises me. o.o

jerrylee said:
The absence of features are absent? ;)

Heh, thanks. It should have simply been a continuous run where any features that allow to record portions again or otherwise greatly ease precision and quickness are absent.