Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuriKai

Doomsday 1.9 beta-1

Graf Zahl said:

What are those ugly blobs in the second screenshot?

Spiritual Armor. :P

Anyways, lookin' good so far.

Darkman 4 said:

Spiritual Armor. :P

Needs improvement. The rest looks good but these things seem completely out of place somehow...

It was the angle it was taken at which made them look ugly. Just like when you take a picture of the human face.
Now stop dissing Something in the screenshot and be amazed how far doom has come.

KuriKai said:

It was the angle it was taken at wich made thenm look ugly just like when you take a p9cture of the human face.
Now stop dissing some thing a n d be a,azed how far doom has come.

Graphic eye candy doesn't amaze me and I most certainly don't need it when playing the original Doom levels.

I'd rather be amazed by great level design rather than 'enhancing' the originals.

KuriKai said:

It was the angle it was taken at wich made thenm look ugly just like when you take a p9cture of the human face.

Now if instead you had a nice set of ugly pixels, Graf wouldn't complain:)

As most of us understand, intent was clearly just a quick preview vs some OMG level. Looks nice as always!

And as most of us understand, level design is directly interpreted via the graphic renderer. So if the graphic rendering is awesome, it naturally enhances ANY level design.

[btw, looks fine on my monitor - a lot of people have mediocre monitors, hence they don't really see how it looks. IIRC, Graf for example has a monitor that conks out at 85 hz (1280x1024) which is pretty low end in today's world. Mine is 180hz at that res. Haven't had one that's less than 100 for years at that res.]

deep said:

Now if instead you had a nice set of ugly pixels, Graf wouldn't complain:)

If those things looked like what they represent I wouldn't have said anything. But considering that there were these 2 ugly shapeless blobs that seemed totally out of place I couldn't resist.

As most of us understand, intent was clearly just a quick preview vs some OMG level. Looks nice as always!

Did I say anything else? Some people don't get a joke when it is showed down their throat. How sad...

[btw, looks fine on my monitor - a lot of people have mediocre monitors, hence they don't really see how it looks. IIRC, Graf for example has a monitor that conks out at 85 hz (1280x1024) which is pretty low end in today's world. Mine is 180hz at that res. Haven't had one that's less than 100 for years at that res.]

And how does this relate to anything? Refresh rate (if above 75 Hz) doesn't really make that big of a difference in terms of visual quality. And most importantly: Why should I spend money for something I don't need? My monitor has been working great for several years now (and survived at least 3 computers.) and most games still look better on it than on the ultra-neat modern monitors my company owns.

KuriKai said:

A good way for people to not criticize a screenshot is to not include a shitty model, such as that 'armour bonus', which detracts and distracts from the bigger picture. That, and you might also want to work on your temper, and your spelling/grammar.

I dunno if Im missing something, but past versions of doomsday look way better than what you're showing us in these shots. Is there something I'm not noticing?

God damn! Can't you look at original dooms rather pixelated look, and see the difference nit the quality? Looks better than quake 2 (not really hard), and as good as quake 3! And really, screenshots can only show so much, and somethings you can't judge by them. I agree with kuriaki, if it aint something supportive or constructive to say, I wouldn't say it.

Sorry to sound rude if I did, but it isn't fair to kill of something else because you prefer other things over it.

Why is the medikit blue?

evilhomerdoomer said:

God damn! Can't you look at original dooms rather pixelated look, and see the difference nit the quality?

Yes, I see the difference. I see good design in one, and bad design in the other. The choice is simple.

KuriKai said:

Now stop dissing Something in the screenshot and be amazed how far doom has come.

So I'm only allowed to post praise when you post screenshots that I don't like? What is the point then?

Amaster said:

I dunno if Im missing something, but past versions of doomsday look way better than what you're showing us in these shots. Is there something I'm not noticing?

Yeah, it all looks pretty ugly to me. The blobs in shot 2, and the coloured lighting in shot 1 which suddenly changes from green to standard lighting in the ceiling.

Plus you have things in both shot 1 and 2 which are rendered as if they were in pitch black.

I must say those are very bad screenshots. Seriously if you want to show what Doomsday 1.9.0-beta1 can do then you should have taken some better shots. Those two contain just about all of the bugs that still exist in the beta.

A decent shot

Still there are a few bugs to be worked out (one being models not lit by bias sources yet hence black) as it's still beta. See the Release Notes for more info.

I would suggest you try it for your self

I play with the bias lightning and must say, that it is a very nice feature for replacing the sector lightning.
But I have a question what about the models lightning and the decoration lightning is that still the same ( dynamic light ) ?
The decoration lightning is a frame killer, and also the dynamic light ( with bias lightning you can use less dynamic lightning).

Greetings.

Graf Zahl said:

And how does this relate to anything? Refresh rate (if above 75 Hz) doesn't really make that big of a difference in terms of visual quality.

Actually it does relate. A monitor with that low a refresh rate (85) is not a very good monitor - iow electronics are low rate.

And indeed refresh rate CAN make a difference in visual quality. This really depends on the video card AND the pixel resolution of the monitor (ALL my monitors are AG). Some video cards improve markedly as you up the res assuming that the monitor can show you the difference. For example, I can tell the difference between 85 and 120 on my monitor.

So IF your monitor can focus accurately and handle brightness and contrast to show detail, it can make the difference between something acceptable and something "too dark". This is hard to realize unless you have 2 different monitors side-by-side using the same vid-card. My older one is quite a bit darker than my latest.

And although he changed the screenshots, I liked the models. I think some here are suffering from the dark/contrast issue which makes it difficult to see nuances in images. Hence the comments they made could be either misplaced or just bias:)

Joke - yeah :)

I downloaded the new version of Doomsday but i can't seem to get the the models to work

I went to that link but couldn't find a url to download it from I can go to the project homepage but all that's there is what I already have where can I get this new version also I have a question how do you get the models to work properly I downloaded them unzipped to where I'm supposed to but they don't load I get sprites its strange cause when Doomsday is loading there are no error messages or anything what am I doing wrong.

doomedwarrior1981 said:

I went to that link but couldn't find a url to download it from. I can go to the project homepage but all that's there is what I already have. Where can I get this new version?

Click on where it says "Win32 Binaries" (assuming you're a Windows user) and you will see download links for the version 1.9.0 betas.

Oh, and please write in sentences. You'll get much better responses that way.

Using models has nothing to do with which acceleration mode you decide to use.