Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlatheDoomer

/Newstuff cut-off

Hello, I submitted my map like an hour ago. I was just curious when the cut-off is for this /newstuff? Sunday morning or what?

Thanks,
SlatheDoomer

EDIT: In case you're talking about the chronicles...--->

Newstuff Chronicles is rewritten around Sunday and Monday, depending on your time zone. But I don't think asking this is gonna please the mods. No offence, but this has been asked in the past. Just wait till Monday -- unless they cancel it :o.

No hes asking when is the latest you can submit your wad for that weeks current newstuff, he is not asking if/when the next newstuff is comming out.

Macro11_1 said:

No hes asking when is the latest you can submit your wad for that weeks current newstuff, he is not asking if/when the next newstuff is comming out.

Yeah.

Well, I went to the ftp archives and played your new map, and you shouldn't really expect any better a review for this one. But detail aside, what really kills the map is the gameplay. It's passable for most of it, but the two major traps are poorly executed. After the initial shock of seeing 500 revenants, hell knights, or barons surrounding you, the battle quickly degrades to the player circle strafing around a cluster of monsters. The player is more likely to die of boredom than of the monsters' projectiles.

Vile1011 said:

Well, I went to the ftp archives and played your new map, and you shouldn't really expect any better a review for this one. But detail aside, what really kills the map is the gameplay. It's passable for most of it, but the two major traps are poorly executed. After the initial shock of seeing 500 revenants, hell knights, or barons surrounding you, the battle quickly degrades to the player circle strafing around a cluster of monsters. The player is more likely to die of boredom than of the monsters' projectiles.

Man I'll never bring it up to doomworld's PAR i guess.

SlatheDoomer said:

Man I'll never bring it up to doomworld's PAR i guess.

Certainly not with that attitude.

Vile1011 said:

Certainly not with that attitude.

It's kind of hard to have an overly positive attitude about mapping when people leave comments on my maps such as:

horrible, never make a map again n00b. You should be Shunned to The other Side of the Earth for this garbage :o x

OMFG DONT DOWNLOAD THIS MAP!!!!! x

This map is ass, my cat could make a better one.

noobs should stick to vanilla x

Why are people filling the doom archives with bullshit maps? OH WHY? x

feels like limbo. Plays like shit. ~Csonic

The map has *some* fair areas with promising use of lighting, but they are overshadowed by the n00bish use of a monster trap with 200 barons and knights.

Yeah? Maybe you suck at mapping. One of the interesting things about being human is that you don't have to be an instant expert to increase your range of skills. If you don't agree, I don't expect you would accomplish much in your lifetime.

This had better not turn into a therapy session.

I also played the map. If anything it's just generic and forgettable.
I love how the txt file says 'someone showed me what people meant by detail' or some such nonsense. You can download most any modern wad and see what detail is. Have you played any maps of the last 5 years? Any jerk can sit down and plunk hundreds of sectors into a room. The hard part is making the level fun, making the layout dedicated to enhancing gameplay. Once that's done, then detail will enhance the looks of the map.
Take Newstuff for example, many of those older maps have no concept of detail, but playing ones like Final Gathering was very fun, and I'm holding on to that set for future plays.

Well I appreciate all of your feedback. But there is a definite line between "You should put less monsters in this room and add some ammo" and "This map sucks my balls. Maybe I'd actually like this map if I was gay. But considering I'm not, this map sucks balls and deserves to be burned from the memory of doomworld." I realize that i need to take critizism(sp) and I'll run into alot of asses who don't share my idea of what a good map is. And i'm not saying everyone has to have my point of view on maps. It's just I would like to see more constructive reviews instead of "This map is ass, my cat could make better ones." is increadibly demoralizing. Unfortunatly I've played Doom for 12 years but I've never played custom wads until recently so I am severly behind the learning curve. If you look at my maps and look at some from Doom 2 you'll see that is where my heavy influence is from. I know my maps aren't as good as Doom 2 ones. But you will see some definite techniques and ideas.

To RTC_MARINE:

If your a good driver does that mean you'll never get into a crash? This is all part of the learning process. We all had to start somewhere. And I don't want this to sound like I'm bitching by any means. I like this community so far and I plan to stay a long time. So hopefully in awhile my techniques will advance and I will learn how to make "good" wads.

Again I thank everyone for their responses and as more and more of my maps come out hopefully more and more of them will be better and liked.

-SlatheDoomer

Mere scanning of this thread fortells its future... and Slathe's for that matter, unless he gets real smart real fast.

SlatheDoomer said:

If your a good driver does that mean you'll never get into a crash? This is all part of the learning process. We all had to start somewhere. And I don't want this to sound like I'm bitching by any means. I like this community so far and I plan to stay a long time. So hopefully in awhile my techniques will advance and I will learn how to make "good" wads.
-SlatheDoomer

I understand your position, yes you are new to creating doom maps, and therefore have lack of experience making high quality maps that will be known for how long the doom community will last.

But what I said before doesnt mean that it isn't true.

SlatheDoomer: I understand your frustration that many of the review comments in the idgames database are immature rants. However, don't take this personally: there are a lot of comments of that type even for well-established good-quality wads too. Try to ignore them, and focus on the more constructive comments.

Also, rather than releasing a wad to the archive, try posting about it in the forums, and inviting comments upon it (making it available by putting it on your own webspace or e-mailing it upon request). If you say something like: "I'm new to this, and would like to become better. Please provide helpful comments on this map I have made.", then you'll probably get a better response. Also, if someone makes unprovoked attacks on you in the forums, they cannot do so anonymously, and the mods will be able to take appropriate action against them and their flames.

But please avoid being confrontational in this. Few things cause as much annoyance here as a new mapper who appears and starts pimping his "amazing wads" that turn out to be unplayable messes. Not saying you're doing that or that your wads fit that description, but just be aware of the danger.

Grazza said:

SlatheDoomer: I understand your frustration that many of the review comments in the idgames database are immature rants. However, don't take this personally: there are a lot of comments of that type even for well-established good-quality wads too. Try to ignore them, and focus on the more constructive comments.

Also, rather than releasing a wad to the archive, try posting about it in the forums, and inviting comments upon it (making it available by putting it on your own webspace or e-mailing it upon request). If you say something like: "I'm new to this, and would like to become better. Please provide helpful comments on this map I have made.", then you'll probably get a better response. Also, if someone makes unprovoked attacks on you in the forums, they cannot do so anonymously, and the mods will be able to take appropriate action against them and their flames.

But please avoid being confrontational in this. Few things cause as much annoyance here as a new mapper who appears and starts pimping his "amazing wads" that turn out to be unplayable messes. Not saying you're doing that or that your wads fit that description, but just be aware of the danger.

Yeah thanks man, and I appreciate that. I am working on this one wad that is almost complete that I will release with this upcoming /newstuff so there will be two in the upcoming chronicles. But after that I plan to submit wads to the forums to be tested first. I guess one problem was I would want to make a map a week and end up slopping together stuff. Another reason why i haven't been much into the playtesters is I didn't want any of my stuff to be stolen and marked up as someone else's property. Even though my wads probably having nothing worth stealing in them =).

RTC_Marine: Yes now re-reading your comment that is a true statement and I totally agree with it.

Why so many people are obsessed with detail is beyond me. I for one do enjoy a nice oldschool map.

@SlatheDoomer:
I have played your maps and found them very enjoyable, you have a good sense for gameplay and progress.
One thing I´d like to say is always build in secrets, not only do they make the map more fun, but you prevent players rushing through the map(I certainly do if I see 0 secrets in the automap).
Looking forward to your next work :)