Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The Dark Side of Phobos

Yay, downloading now :P

Edit : Omg it rocks. Ling, I dunno what kind of stuff you usually listen to, but you must be really damn picky.

I downloaded the E1 tracks, they are almost all awful.

Well, they're technically sound, they're just boring and dumb and some of them have almost 0% Doom influence.

engineer said:

What would you expect from pepole who specialize in mostly electronic bleepy-bloop crap?

The E1M6 is interesting at least because it's SO over the top, but most of them are just long drawn out snoozes.

Linguica said:

Well, they're technically sound, they're just boring and dumb and some of them have almost 0% Doom influence.

I'll take your word for it. Anything on OCRemix is garbage anyway.

OCRemix is not garbage. I just want to say that I think this is one of the best things that has happened in the world of Doom in a while.

AWESOME!!! I loved these tracks!

Linguica said:

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree here. In a lot of ways this is my favorite community project has put together yet. A lot of great tracks, a good feel for the original tunes, a lot of BUILDING on the original tunes. That's what OCR is ABOUT, really. Taking the original tunes, building on them, exploring new things, helping them grow into something else entirely. Something new but still reminiscent and nostalgic.

The BUILDING is an important part in every OCReMix (Ok well...post 1000 and something, anyway). Anyone can take a midi of an original tune, open it up with Cakewalk, slap on a few guitar samples and synths, throw a drum loop over it, and call it there own, but is it REALLY? OCReMix encourage GROWTH as a musician, hell the SITE mission says it pretty clearly points that out.

engineer said:

What would you expect from pepole who specialize in mostly electronic bleepy-bloop crap?

This is a gross exaggeration and completely ignorant statement. There are a lot of electronic songs on OCR, sure, and a lot of electronic style songs on this particular project, but they by NO means make up all of EITHER. I wouldn't even say most of either. Both OCR and DSoP have a wide range of styles, and it's insulting to the artists, artists who work hard to share something they love with others, and ask nothing in return, to say that they're untalented and stuck in a single mode of music.

deathz0r said:

I could repeat everything I've said before, but really it's not even worth the time.

And even if OCReMix can't please EVERYONE, it sure pleases a lot of people. A lot of IMPORTANT people, at that:

http://www.rome.ro/vgm.php

http://www.rome.ro/links.htm:
Overclocked Remix

Best Game Music. Period.

All that being said, anyone who HASN'T heard these tracks yet, I wouldn't let the above, QUITE biased, reviews deter you from checking them out. There's some really excellent stuff on this project, and a lot of people put a LOT of time (close to a year now) into it FOR YOU.

There's some very good stuff here. Some pretty reminiscent heavier pieces (such as E1M1, E2M9 and the victory track) as well as some remixes that may drift off from their base more but sound really good; E2M4, E2M7, E1M8, E2M6, or E1M5, to name some that stuck out during this first hearing.

Mike Viper said:

And even if OCReMix can't please EVERYONE, it sure pleases a lot of people. A lot of IMPORTANT people, at that:

http://www.rome.ro/vgm.php

I've just started listening to the tracks, so I dunno yet. Personally. I've only heard Bart Klepka's remixes from OC before so I have no opinion on OC as an entity in itself yet. But that comment quoted above is so retarded that I think you deserve a slap in the face for even thinking it.

I listened to a couple tracks. Really good stuff. Good quality, good motion. Some lack doom influence, like the e1m4 remix (electronic and d&b stuff doesn't go too well with Doom /me thinks) but the e1m1 remix is jawsome.

I agree that a lot of stuff on OC is garbage, but that does not mean everything is. There are some gems like that e1m5 remix by Scott Peeples.

kristus said:
But that comment quoted above is so retarded that I think you deserve a slap in the face for even thinking it.

It may have been an unnecessary comment, but I wouldn't tire my hand there much, being that stupider posts were made above. Particularly trolling crap that led to that one.

True, but holding John Romero up as some kind of judge on weather the music is good or not, is not only retarded, but insulting IMO.
The perception of music is completely individual. Some peole love to listen to some old man playing on spoons, while some people love it when they are at the concert-house for Ravel's Bolero. So that's why I consider that saying that someone's taste is more important than the other's because of that person having a "fame halo".
I don't take anyone's word for what is good, as I am the only one that can determine that. I can however take into consideration when someone that actually likes electronic music says it's good. Or someone that likes punk says that that punk band is good and so on. But this is generally very restricted aswell, being as I just don't trust anyones opinion.
Incidentially though, when someone blurts out things like "OMG THIS SUCKS" I only get more intrested to hear it.

Sorry for the ranting. When I get started, it's hard to stop sometimes. :p

However, about these albums. Some of it are terrible, some of it is quite nice.
I had hoped that the artists that have gone towards a more electronic approach, had went more along the lines of bands such as Hocico and Suicide Commandoes, but they didn't. :(
I still think the music by Ashley Carr and Kinkiness is better though. As I consider they BUILT on to the original tracks, instead of made it into something that the original tracks had no relation to.

I think there's alot of talent that's went into this project and it shows, but personally I feel the last five tracks of this are what really shine.

Still have to do the download, but I think it's a good idea at least to do DooM-related stuff. I'll see if it is metal/rocky enough for my taste.

Why don't they use the Bart Klepka. He's able to do really great stuff. (at least I didn't see him in the artist listing)

deathz0r said:

Except for Bart Klepka's work.

Mike Viper said:

And even if OCReMix can't please EVERYONE, it sure pleases a lot of people. A lot of IMPORTANT people, at that

OMG Romero likes it?!?!

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00740/ is what I think of as a really good Doom music remix, the stuff in this collection doesn't come close as far as I am concerned.

OK I will listen to a couple, let's see

E1M5: sounds like some music for the scary part in some low budget Christian movie.

E3M3: Sounds OK, the violin or whatever is supposed to be doing the main melody sounds quite fake and MIDI-ish. Overall it's not bad but some instruments sound way better than other instruments and it doesn't blend well.

E1M9: Boring. Xylophones work well sometimes, but not here.

E2M7: Boring and never goes anywhere. Not bad but why am I listening to this?

E1M2: Fairly interesting but it needs to law off that male-chorus "aaaahhhhh" synth, a little goes a long way.

E2M2: Opening reminds me of Deus Ex for some reason. Props for the theremin but still this is not something I will remember in five minutes.

E1M6: OK this at least is interesting. It is so fucking crazy that you can't help but pay attention. Yeah OK I think I like this. It's really out there but it's bold and pretty well done. The first one that I was sad when it ended.

E1M1: I have heard so many E1M1 remixes and covers that I don't really care one way or the other. Lots of guitar thrashing so it's pretty good I guess? I never liked the E1M1 music.

The impression that I get from most of these is that the author is technically proficient but doesn't have any clear idea of what he really wants the song to be, so he just sort of throws stuff against the wall and hopes some of it sticks.

There's more good stuff:
e1m8 recreation by Jeremiah Sypult
nearly *.* from Klepka of course
(God, he made such an insane Doom/Dune mix! Pure brainf-ck!)
Knee deep in the doom by Epiclore (great!) with lots of ingame noise. That rocks! good for headbanging.

PS: Romero also listened to PetShopBoys or something in his hummer jeep, right? Of course he's extremely important person but not the master of musicial taste.

I've heard the intro and the e1m1 song so far, I'm getting the torrent for the rest. So far, it sounds decent. I have no idea what genre to expect, but the e1m1 rendition was close to what I expected.