Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Afterglow

Wad Merging

Are there any decent command line tools for merging two PWADs? I can't find such an option in Deutex (there's only one for merging PWADs into an IWAD when doom2.exe didn't support add-on sprites).

I need something I can use in a batch process, specifically for compiling test cadidates for Crucified Dreams. I have separate WADs for the graphic resources, music, and one for each map. There'll be a compilation every couple days so I really don't feel like doing this manually. I don't even care about conflicts in the merge as I know there aren't any... and if no such tool is available, I'll damn well program it myself. >:|

WTF! Crudreams! Anyway, OMGIFOL is probably able to do that kind of stuff.

[edit]
Apparently OMGIFOL does not yet support wad1 + wad2 yet, so you might have to read each WAD's lumps and add them to the new WAD.

Deutex must support wad1 + wad2 merging, because wintex (4.3) does it, which is just a shell.

I played around a bit with OMGIFOL and came up with this script:

from wad import *

wads = ["wad1.wad", "wad2.wad"]

finalwad = WAD()

for w in wads:
	wadfile = WAD()
	wadfile.Load(w)
	for l in wadfile.Find("*"):
		finalwad.Append(Lump(wadfile.Lumps[l].Name, wadfile.Lumps[l].Data))

finalwad.Save("finalwad.wad")
There's probably a better way, but I guess only Fredrik knows better :)

Thanks for that. I'll try it out tomorrow and add reading the wad filenames from command line parameters if it works. But for now... sleep!

iori said:
Deutex must support wad1 + wad2 merging, because wintex (4.3) does it, which is just a shell.

Yeah. The commands list in the "manpage" text has an error where join has the same description as merge. I bet that's how you missed it, Afterglow.

Both DeuTex and DeuSF take the join command:

-join    

+           Will join two pwads:  mysecond.wad is put inside myfirst.wad.
+           Great for combining pwads!
+           If entries are duplicated, mysecond.wad has priority
+           If custom textures are defined in both wads, they are
+           preserved, but those of mysecond.wad have priority.

so a batch file along the lines of

join c.wad cmap01.wad
join c.wad cmap02.wad
join c.wad cmap03.wad
join c.wad ctex.wad

should do it?

didnt someone build a tool whereby a wad was unlumped into a dir and the wad could be "relumped" by reversing the process?

It'd be...

deusf -join c.wad cmap01.wad
deusf -join c.wad cmap02.wad
deusf -join c.wad cmap03.wad
deusf -join c.wad ctex.wad

didnt someone build a tool whereby a wad was unlumped into a dir and the wad could be "relumped" by reversing the process?

Yes, DeuTex! It writes a definition of the wad in text that goes with the resources you dump.

Thanks Myk, that works great. Now I just have to add a call at the end of the script to CleanWad to get rid of the 1mb of wasted space in a 25mb WAD.

boris said:

WTF! Crudreams! Anyway, OMGIFOL is probably able to do that kind of stuff.

[edit]
Apparently OMGIFOL does not yet support wad1 + wad2 yet, so you might have to read each WAD's lumps and add them to the new WAD.

Omgifol 0.2 does. I really should update the SF page :P

Szymanski said:

Did mesko finish his map?

He hasn't worked on it, no. The only thing I'm going to do with it is add some texture variation and align everything since I think the layout is good enough. He doesn't seem to like the layout but he hasn't done anything in the past 5 years to fix it. Jon Rimmer has to finish his too. I know you're reading this. Fucker.