Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janderson

Vegans and The Greater Good - Mk.2

When I watched some survival show a year or two ago, Uri Gellar, a vegan if I recall correctly had to eat bugs to get his teammates some food. He did and his teammates were proud of him 'looking at the bigger picture,' one member (fellow vegan) however was ashamed of him because he 'sold out'.

My question is who is right?

Should we set aside our beliefs to look at the bigger picture? Or should we lose respect for those who do?

So I'm assuming the other vegan made his/her stand, refused to eat bugs, made his/her team lose, and missed out on a million dollars? Good for him/her.

Janderson said:
My question is who is right?

The producers of the show... and the bugs.

So I'm assuming the other vegan made his/her stand, refused to eat bugs, made his/her team lose, and missed out on a million dollars?

Nope, he never got the chance, the other guy seemed happy to eat the food he won though.

Uri Gellar????

The very same.

You guys are missing something very important; survival shows suck the penis.

Important, but not relevent to the questions.

Ok folks, lets look at the 'bigger picture;' Is straying from your beliefs (whatever you are)justifiable in any situation? Do people who wander off ther chosen path deserve less respect?

You're assuming that his decision to be a (sort of) vegan is based on beliefs of some sort. It could just be a preference - which seems quite likely if he was willing to suspend it just for some silly gameshow.

This is obviously different from a genuine survival situation, where it is more to be expected that people will do whatever it takes in order to avoid death (e.g. the several documented cases of people resorting to cannibalism as a last resort, such as the Donner Party).

Generally speaking, and simplifying things to a level of potential stupidity, "changing one's path" can be either a mind opening situation, or a situation that belies falsehood of character.

And then (more broadly yet more precisely):

It depends on the situation whether straying from your "beliefs" is justifiable in the particular situation.

In the example; no one cares, since it's a silly fabricated TV show.

Grazza, yeah, I recall this case.

You're assuming that his decision to be a (sort of) vegan is based on beliefs

Actually I'm to tired to remember a better phrase :( would 'moral orientation' suffice?

The example doesn't matter but the gist of it is valid is valid; your moral-prefferential stance or the bigger picture.

Who's ragging on Vegetarians ;)

I'm trying to decide if I would do the same in his place or not. I'm a vegetarian and chose to because I am vehemently opposed to the way cattle and other animals are raised and slaughtered for meat in the United States. The way they inject them with chemicals like BGH to grow to unnatural sizes, and dispose of their waste in poor environmental means. Because of that I don't eat meat as a form of protest.

Now would I eat it in a situation like that for a chance at a large sum of money... I dunno since I'm not in that situation... but maybe ;)

Veddge said:

Because of that I don't eat meat as a form of protest.

Yeah, you're really sending a message! GO PONCHO, FOR THE HOME TEAM!

Janderson said:

Actually I'm to tired to remember a better phrase :( would 'moral orientation' suffice?

No; my point was exactly that beliefs, morals or whatever of that nature might not play any part in this. For instance, I presume you don't generally eat earthworms or whale semen (and perhaps you don't eat much seaweed either): is that for moral reasons?

And this distinction is at the heart of the discussion you are proposing. If something is just a preference ("I choose not to do this, but I could do it if I wanted to on a specific instance and for a specific reason") rather than a firm principle ("I refuse to do this because I consider it fundamentally wrong"), then clearly this makes a big difference to how you might behave in a situation where there is something to be gained deviating from your normal behaviour, and in how you might feel about your conduct afterwards.

BBG said:
Yeah, you're really sending a message!

Every time he does it in front of someone or whenever he mentions it, it could inspire someone to do the same.

Veddge said:

I'm trying to decide if I would do the same in his place or not. I'm a vegetarian and chose to because I am vehemently opposed to the way cattle and other animals are raised and slaughtered for meat in the United States.

Eat meat from freerange farms. By simply not eating meat you completely jump out of their statistics, making you irrelevant.

My question is, couldn't he just levitate some food out to them or something? You know, telekinetically steal a sandwich from the camera crew or something? Then again, I suppose his powers only work on spoons, which is pretty much useless on a desert island (come to think of it, pretty much useless anywhere else, aside from the fact that occassionally you might trick someone into thinking you're cool).

Damnit, survival shows suck.

Sticking to morals is up to the individual. If someone decides to stop being vegan, their choice. If some other vegan thinks he/she sucks because of it, well, too damn bad. Go cry to mama, etc.

Not that it really matters, since this crappy show was probabally scripted anyway.

speaking as a vegan, i can safely say that reality tv is hurting america. i gave up meat and dairy after a long, hard look at 'the big picture'.

if i had the choice of eating meat or starving, i think i could cheat a little. if i was offered a million dollars to eat a bug, i think i could cheat a little.

also, freerange farms are a crock of shit.

Liam said:

i gave up meat and dairy after a long, hard look at 'the big picture'.

and that is?

Whats wrong with a little cow in your diet?

(no offense to any vegetarians, I'm simply curious)

I don't have anything against vegetarians, but I can't stand those fucking vegans.

Weirdos.

ravage said:
Whats wrong with a little cow in your diet?

Many reasons; most importantly that it digests uncomfortably, but also that the taste is rather foul, that it's economically messy, that I have a good degree of animal empathy, and that I feel better physically not eating it. I eat diary products and don't care too much if a bit grease (fat) was used in the preparation of something, though.

Also, Ronald and the King gangbanged me as a kid.

Uh oh, wait...

I don't see what's futile in not eating meat to make a statement. It's probably not going to have any effect on the industry but it still beats passively sitting by and just going with the flow to express your disapproval.

myk said:

Also, Ronald and the King gangbanged me as a kid.

Now wait just a minute. You told me you ENJOYED that..

I am an omnivore, and quite content that way. I love to eat all sorts of foods, vegetable and animal. The comedian/priest Mike Warnke made a good point about eating meat: If god didn't want us to eat meat, he'd have given us different teeth.

To vegetarians (Eaters of veggies, but also milk and/or eggs): It's perfectly fine by me that you want a diet of mostly vegetables. Cool! Vegetables are delicious and healthy. I just happen to enjoy eating meat.

To vegans (Eaters of 100% nothing but vegetables): Okay... vegetables ONLY? No milk or eggs either? I find that a tad odd, but I won't stop you. Like I said above, vegetables are great, and eating the right ones will take care of all of your needs. Going strictly for veggies and veggies only, hey, it's your decision.

To bleeding heart save the animals type vegans: So you only eat vegetables to prevent being cruel to animals? Wake up.
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=grill
Mr. Maddox raises a good point in this article.