Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkman 4

Compet-N mentioned at 1up.com.

Heh, ouch. Well, at least they wrote about it...

From the context, it's pretty obvious it's just a typo. Interesting read, though it contained nothing I didn't already know about.

Another thing: the article attributes the invention of rocket jumping to Quake speedrunning...

Kristian Ronge said:

Another thing: the article attributes the invention of rocket jumping to Quake speedrunning...

In the context of an upwards jump, rather than a horizontal speed boost, that's probably correct, isn't it?

It's seems like quite a good article to me. I'm not convinced the guy fully understands all the techniques he's writing about, but he appears to have researched it from good sources.

It's a good job Compet-n was updated recently - otherwise people following the link might have thought the site was dead, which would have been rather counterproductive.

Grazza said:
In the context of an upwards jump, rather than a horizontal speed boost, that's probably correct, isn't it?

The article says: "Quake's greatest gift to the speed running world, however, was the rocket jump." Although it becomes clear in the following sentences that the author indeed refers to boosting upwards jumping (which probably was first used/abused for Quake, I guess), the quoted sentence is still incorrect. This is mostly stupid nitpicking though... ;-)

Who said there isn't? Apart from the guy who wrote the article, that is ...

Or do you mean vertical rocket jumps?

EDIT: Oh, okay, I see now, ROTT had those jump pads so you could jump vertically.

if you want to refer to the oldest doom intended Rocket jump...
I think iD intended to make doom1 E3M6 secret exit reachable only with a rocket jump off the wall.
So it was definitely before quake ... quake only introduced the upward RJ.

To kill all of the Oscuro spawn on the final level of ROTT, you had to reach a secret area by using a vertical boost with the firebomb.

VinceDSS said:

I think iD intended to make doom1 E3M6 secret exit reachable only with a rocket jump off the wall.

Yup, and that was written in Hank Leukart's official Doom FAQ:

The process of getting to the Inferno secret level is probably one of the most creative things in DOOM, and the most difficult to figure out.

[...]

Unfortunately, the distance is too far to jump. The key is to shoot a rocket at the ledge wall, the explosion of which will throw you into the box!

Too bad you can trigger the switch through the wall, all id's creativity gone in vain :-)

According to this, they realised early on that it was possible to activate the E3M6 secret exit switch from the outside, and tried to prevent it by making the walls thicker. They failed ...