Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LeX

Wondering... [map30 telefragging]

On Doom 2's last level, Icon of sin, if you use God mode and no clipping mode, it STILL kills you if a skull warps into a demon on top of you... Why is that? That annoys me to death...

Also I have no idea why you hear demon growls on E2L9. I checked with no clipping, there aren't any. Are they supposed to be underneath? That'd be cool but how do you design a level that has FLOORS?

Thx

Yeah but noclipping mode is supposed to override that, right? If you can run through walls you should be able to not be stomped on =[. Meh

LeX said:

Yeah but noclipping mode is supposed to override that, right? If you can run through walls you should be able to not be stomped on =[. Meh

Doesn't matter if the target is invincible or what, telefragging ALWAYS kill its target.
Think of it as a measure to prevent weird clipping bugs. You have to stand in particular spots anyway, so I don't see the huge problem. Just dont stand on spawn cube targets.

I see... Well just kinda disappointed but yea it makes sense ;P. I figured the problem would be, if you didn't have no clipping mode on, and something spawned on you, that'd be stupid. But when you do, you just run through it, so I don't see the purpose. Not that it's that big a deal...

There's this 1000 damage point threshold for god mode and teleport stomp does 10000 damage which is over 1000, so it will kill. Therefore you could use a deh file to create a missile that will always kill, unless you increased player hitpoints too...

That reminds me. I was playing Void the other day (really trippy, excellent wad by the way) and the Cyberdemon you face at the end has his rockets set to one hit, one kill. That was pretty annoying (but provdied an interesting challenge)!

LeX said:

Here's a suggestion...don't stand where demons are likely to teleport

LeX said:

Also I have no idea why you hear demon growls on E2L9. I checked with no clipping, there aren't any. Are they supposed to be underneath? That'd be cool but how do you design a level that has FLOORS?

Thx

You're talking about DOOm I, Fortress of Mystery? Sounds weird if that's so, but then it's a bug. However, it is possible in DOOM 2, since Pain Elementals can spawn lost souls behind walls, making them crawl everywhere unseen and do noises. Which is funny, because sometimes one tries to attack me, jumpy.

Nope, you can't do multistories in DooM.ExE, but I've read somewhere that DOoM LEgACY (cheesy well-equiped source port) supports it, and that ZdOoM (another real cheesy - yet very powerful thing) has it in development.

Both Barons of Hell and Cacodemons make the same sound a Demon does when they are active.

Ebon said:

Nope, you can't do multistories in DooM.ExE, but I've read somewhere that DOoM LEgACY (cheesy well-equiped source port) supports it, and that ZdOoM (another real cheesy - yet very powerful thing) has it in development.

I'm curious, what do you mean by cheesy?

And what source ports would you consider to not be cheesy?

Just a personal opinion. My view for DOOM is conservative and I don't think it could be improved any much.

For me, ports that introduce full 98/XP sound/video/demo support are good. Ports that also use good 3-d sound, smooth graphics and additive translucency are even better.
But in no way would I agree on a port that makes obstacles opaque for plasma or rockets; or one that makes blur spheres act like in Heretic; or one that makes things walkable over. That's cheesy.
I wouldn't need any fancy additions if I could just use a new game born with them.
Also, not even Jdoom ain't good. The models look very retarded, and they're slowing my 2.6 GHz pc big time. Sound is a bit strange and things act like in Heretic: walkable over and fully solid. That's stupid for DOOM. Which means Jheretic is actually a very good choice.

Basically uncheesy ports are those weak ones that simply are fully backward compatible (esp. demos) on WinXP.

Why do you say "weak"? It is possible to add all manner of optional features, extend limits and increase stability while retaining (or rather reinstating) backwards compatibility in terms of behaviour.

BTW, there's nothing forcing you to use the models with the Doomsday engine. Nothing you can do about the z-clipping though. :(

AFAIK, z-clipping was introduced in Hexen, so every port that uses the Hexen engine has to have z-clipping.

No problem with that here, just dont use it to cheat trough a map ;)
Maybee there should be a settings lump that can dictate things like nojump and falling damage.
As long as nobody steals me my freelook i wont care. *g*

Grazza said:

Why do you say "weak"? It is possible to add all manner of optional features, extend limits and increase stability while retaining (or rather reinstating) backwards compatibility in terms of behaviour.

BTW, there's nothing forcing you to use the models with the Doomsday engine. Nothing you can do about the z-clipping though. :(

"weak" compared to zDoom, that is :)
Of course, don't take my opinion as an offence. Maybe I'll change in the future. Thanx for reminding me the term z-clipping :)

Both "cheesy" and "weak" as you have used them here seem to be needlessly inflammatory terms (especially as it is not clear that you intend any actual criticism by them). It might be best if you didn't use them, as these are sensitive topics.

Another bone you could pick with clipping is that if you can walk through walls, how come projectiles hit you? They should go right through you. Guess not. Anyway, I'm a'gonna kill em. I was playin Legacy and sometimes there'd be a wall that was transparent (even though I know there's supposed to be a wall there) or in TNT30, the step you have to stand on to shoot into the brain of the Icon of Sin, that step is missing so I couldn't kill him. Someone recommend a better one please?

myk said:

Both Barons of Hell and Cacodemons make the same sound a Demon does when they are active.

I didn't know that lol. I knew that they make that sounds when they are hit, but when they are just "alert of your presence, and ... somewhere on the level", I didn't know they make those sounds... Are you absolutely sure?

Yep, the DSDMACT (heavy growling) sound. Many hellish monsters use it; if you check in DeHackEd you can verify that.

Jimi said:

There's this 1000 damage point threshold for god mode and teleport stomp does 10000 damage which is over 1000, so it will kill. Therefore you could use a deh file to create a missile that will always kill, unless you increased player hitpoints too...

Actually, 1000 is crossing the threshold.