Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

Video problems

Video problems? With Doom?

It started earlier today when I played slipgate.wad over Skulltag Online. The palette went all screwy-- what should be dark was displaying in bright pastel colors. Here is a horrible attempt to recreate the problem in Photoshop:

So, everything kind of looks like when you try and open Vanilla Doom's PCX screenshots. Soon after that, the game wouldn't display correctly at all... I would get a scrambled screen as if the monitor didn't support the resolution.

This happens only in Skulltag, which I updated to the latest version about a week ago. Vanilla seems to work fine (aside from the obvious problems with WinXP). It went away when I changed the resolution, but only temporarily. Running in windowed mode also fixes it, but I have no reason to believe it's a permanent fix, considering I've been playing ports in fullscreen on this machine for over a year.

And the $64000 question: does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I know exactly what you're talking about, and it has happened to me before in ZDoom and derivative ports. Try turning on the "DirectDraw palette hack" in the Video Options menu.

If the problem persists, even after turning on the palette hack (although it shouldn't), make sure you are not running any other programs or have any windows open.