Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gnarzuul

For the committed Doom fan only...

So we all know that people have taken their houses, schools, supermarkets, etc., and made Doom wads out of them.
Has anyone tried to build a Doom wad in real life form?
For example: Taking E1M1 and building it as a haunted house for Halloween, or maybe paintball?

I suppose you probably couldn't do the lifts, as they just wouldn't be practical. However, with enough time and effort, I don't see why this would be impossible. (I think map 30 of Doom 2 would be especially cool for a real life version.) You could use plywood for the basic structure, and then sculpt whatever you wanted from foam rubber, or even injection molded plastic.

Speaking of Halloween: Any Doom costumes? Imps, Pinkys, etc.?

(My apologies if this has ever been brought up before.)

KwadDamyj said:

I contemplated going out for Halloween as Doomguy last year. With a functional chainsaw.

heh, heh, heh...

Gnarzuul said:

Has anyone tried to build a Doom wad in real life form?
For example: Taking E1M1 and building it as a haunted house for Halloween, or maybe paintball?

A long time ago, Tom Robinson tried building MAP01 in LEGO form.

I think it would be cool if someone made a haunted house with a Doom theme, and had people in elaborate monster costumes scare people, that would kick ass. I think it is plausible to make real life structures out of Doom levels, but you'd have to have a lot of money, a lot of space to fuck with (probably something bigger than an average wearhouse (sp?)), and you'd have to a lot of knowledge of architecture, the ability to paint and sculpt, plus a shitload of free time...in the end, I don't think there'd be too many people that would have the dedication or ability to do it.

^I can't imagine the BFG being workable, though. Unless you had an utter crapload of fireworks, not to mention were in good standing with the police and fire department. :P

I think it's possable as a theme ride sort of thing, but it would require a shit load of money and time. buy a house tear it down and build a custom made doom level. what would you do with it afterwards? sure it would make a cool pic of the day, but it would be unsellable.

Realestate Agent: here we have a real spacy home with a nice view up the stairs and a coutyard with a swimming pool.

Potential customers: where's the kitchen, and why is there no glass in the windows?

To tell the truth, I've always wanted a house based loosely on Map04 of Doom 2 (The Focus). Let's take a walk-through of the map (warning: long post).

The starting room would obviously be the entryway area. Here, people could take their shoes off and/or stare at the posters I've inexplicably mounted on the ceiling.

The initial hallway with the rising/falling barrier walls could make a good main hallway, and the barrier walls could be replaced with blinds or something. If one were to enter the (formerly) secret area to get behind them, they would first see a kitchen, followed by the computer room (the second secret door).

The stairs leading up from the initial hallway could turn into a small dining space with a view into the back yard. The switch would probably be replaced with my stereo system, with the speakers on the opposite walls (and a flat-screen TV).

Exiting the hallway into the now-back yard, one would be under a roof until they stepped on to the pathway. The brown sludge would be changed into a small in-ground swimming pool. The secret door would be moved and made visible, so it's accessible from the pathway without jumping in the water. Within the door would be a tool shed containing all my power tools and stuff (and yes, a chainsaw).

The "imp closet" I would probably change into another shed, but this would contain all the summer stuff like inner tubes and Super Soakers for the pool.

That part where the Blue Key is would be modified and retrofitted into a flower garden, to appease my future wife. Maybe I'd plant a tree there, too.

Going into the blue key door, obviously there would still be the "light switch" just inside, but the lighting would be hacked up into better indirect lighting (like fixtures on the ceiling instead of the floor). I'd likely hand a poster over the hole in the wall, and deck this hallway up with paintings and posters that I bought from ThinkGeek (or Megatokyo, or maybe the page-ads that I clipped of Doom 1 and System Shock).

The small storage room would become a bedroom, perhaps. If I had to leave the fake crate elevator in there, I'd have it go down lower so I could make a basement area to put the rest of the crates into (plus whatever I brought along when I moved in).

Back tracking a bit to the Red Key door, I'd imagine that just raising most of the floors up and knocking out a few of the walls would turn it into an impeccable garage. As for that last room behind the yellow door: that'd be the only bathroom in the house. The exit switch would flush the toilet.

Hmm, you know, if I really wanted to I could modify Map04 and make an EDGE map illustrating my changes.

I thought about doing doom paintball. check this thread. I was coming up with a doom themed paintball game for my b-day at the end of the month, but that fell through. I also listed some paintball markers, or marker mod kits, that would make good doom paintball weapons. I would love to see a setup like doom2 level 16 for a paintball field. I would throw in some more cover in open areas though.

Now that's actually kinda cool. Reminds me of the time when my brother and I pretended to play Doom with little paper cutouts of shotguns and armor.

Gnarzuul said:

Speaking of Halloween: Any Doom costumes? Imps, Pinkys, etc.?

I once saw in this halloween store a costume for the starship troopers cartoon. it looked a lot like the doom marine and I thought about getting it, but they only had it in child sizes. it came with a a green jumpsuit, some fake body armor and a helemt. if they had it in my size I would have gotten a big brown backpack and props like fake pistol, chainsaw, shot gun, maybe some of the health items. I would have liked to have seen if anybody would have know who I was supposed have been. I do halloween pretty serious BTW. I'm planning on making some facial prosthetics this year. if I learn how to do whole faces I might try to do doom monsters. keep you guys posted on that.

A while back, and I dont' remember if it was here at Planet Dooms fourms, but I think someone did makea hard shell plastic rendition of the Doom3 Armor vest. I thought it was really cool.