Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrPhysics

PWADs on PSP

I searched the forum to see if anyone had said anything about this but couldnt find anything similar.

anyway I found out its possible to play PWADs on the current PSP version of doom. if you merge a pwad with doom 2 using wintex and then leave it named as DOOM2.wad and put it in the wad folder it will load most of the megawads out there that dont use too extreem features. some wads with bridges like Scythe 1 work I have played all the way to about level 23 on it. both hell Revealed 1 and 2 work but im not sure if they work all the way through since I cant get through the whole wad. Scythe 2 loads but crashes on level 2 due to visplane errors, Alien vendetta seems to work alright but again I havent played all the way through it. I havent tried them yet but I Assume Momento Mori 1 and 2 would work.

thats all I have had time to test so far so if anyone else wants to give this a try and can add to this list it would be appreciated.

Im not sure how many features are supported, bridges seem to work but im not sure about slopes or custom monsters. Im prety sure water and most of the stuff from Zdoom like scripting wont work, but alot of stuff that I thought wasnt going to work did so that made me happy.

Anyway this is my first post even though I have been visiting this forum for a while so hi everyone my name is Chris, I hope to be of some use here.

That was a long ramble. I'd say you probably posted in the wrong area. And I think you answered your own question. However, I'm tired, and can't understand forum babbling well right now, so I may be wrong.

yeah you must be tired, I wasnt really asking a question and what other forum could this really belong in, its a "port" of doom for the psp using the "source" code from doom for PC, they started a thread about doom for ipod. however I usually ignore the first reply anyway since it is almost always negative.

anyway all im doing is sharing info, take it or leave it.

Considering that the PSP Doom port is probably not based on Boom (nor does it have any limit removal whatsoever), I'd imagine it'd be a good idea to take a look at readme files before attempting a merge. Since the port's evidently based directly on plain vanilla Doom, you're pretty limited in your options. (I wonder, though - does this port support DeHackEd patches? Gives me a reason to work on a vanilla-compatible weapon mod.)

well actually I already attempted it, alot of megawads work just fine. it seems like its a mix between the old engine and a current source port.

Wads that I have tried so far(havent tested every level):
Hell Revealed 1,2
Scythe
Alien Vendeta
Comunity Chest
Momento Mori

mabey level 1-12 but im not to sure about 13 that level is way to big probably would crash from visplane. not enough limit removal

MrPhysics said:

Comunity Chest

There are some maps in Community Chest that aren't Doom2.exe compatible, so I'd expect problems there. For example, map25 has some behavioral issues, and map29 requires a lot of limit-extending. In general, CC was intended for limit-removing ports, so expect VPOs and HOMs.

MrPhysics said:

Scythe 2 loads but crashes on level 2 due to visplane errors,

Scythe 2 isn't even meant for doom2.exe. It's supposed to be played on a Boom-compatible port, as said in the text file:

The text file said:

May Not Run With... : Doom2.exe. Don't even try it.

Yeah I wasnt expecting Scythe 2 to run all that well, I was just testing the limits of the doom-psp enginge after I was suprised that bridges worked. Anyway thanks for the info about comunity chest, I havent had a chance to play through it all the way.

I wonder if the author of Doom-psp is planning any additional features or limit removal in future releases. Im not sure if he is someone well known in this comunity or just a more all around programer that hapened to port doom.

When the 3D bridges are a Doom2.exe trick (as they clearly are when they are in wads designed to work with Doom2.exe) it can be expected that they will work on any port that doesn't break this "feature".