Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Heaven in DOOM

How do you think that heaven would look like interpreted in the DOOM universe?

It's obvious:

There would be winged babies crashing into you instead of flaming skulls, unitrons (unicorns with plamsa guns) instead of arachnotrons, wooly lamb-like bipeds hurling snowballs, big bunnies that stomp at you, white-winged elflike dudes instead of cacodemons (or matronly ladies instead of the elementals), guys that look kind of like Rambo with a flame thrower, valkiries (but no steeds) instead of hell knights, Hercules-like heroes instead of barons of hell, and fat jolly old men with heat seeking missile launchers.

The possessed humans would be all clean and tidy, with halos over their heads.

The land would be all green and neat, with crystal castles and homely villages, and skies with rainbows and such.

And the lesser bosses would be a tall Christ with a cross shaped rocket launcher and an equally tall virgin Mary with a rosary that shoots like a chaingun. While the final boss would be an the face of an old man with white hair and beard. Oh, and John Carmack's head floats gaily inside the boss, smiling contentedly.

Myk: That's all well and good, but why would Heaven be attacking the Doomguy?

I always envisioned Hell as a place full of white marble and obsidian, making a black/white contrast. Lots of potted plants, flowering trees, arches, stuff like that.

Heaven's gameplay style would probably be similar to the intro to Doom 3 - all you can do is explore and talk to people while you find a way to wherever you're going.

WildWeasel said:
but why would Heaven be attacking the Doomguy?

I never said anything of the sort... though, now that you mention it, I'm sure the Almighty would not approve of every encounter the doomguy had...

Really there's little reason for Doomguy to be allowed into Heaven, even if he has murdered legions of hellspawn in his time - considering the, er, extracurricular activities that he's participated in.

"One good deed is not enough to redeem a man."
"But it seems enough to condemn him."

WildWeasel said:

Really there's little reason for Doomguy to be allowed into Heaven, even if he has murdered legions of hellspawn in his time - considering the, er, extracurricular activities that he's participated in.

"One good deed is not enough to redeem a man."
"But it seems enough to condemn him."

What do you mean Extracurricular Actvities?

As you don't see satan in hell, I'm sure that you wouldn't see God in heaven neither. In a DOOM game, heaven (a part of heaven) would be infested by demons, probably blue mountains (the oposite of red), may be green to make it look nice, I can't imagine nothing about the architecture, if some tech parts or not, and what kind of bricks and buildings.

If there would be architecture, it would probably have a lot of marble to it. However if it was corrupted by hell I couldent imagian what it would look like... a blood-stained sky maybe?

but the Doom guy didn't just go around killing everything for nothing, in Doom he stopped the Mastermind from bringing Hell to Earth, which failed I guess (if only he knew about Baphomet), and in Doom 2 he saved what was left of Earth's population and launched them into space all the while stomping a mudhole in Hell's ass. The dude's a hero, and if he couldn't get into Heaven for all that, then shit, why not just go back to Hell and take it over, it's not like anything would stand in his way that he hasn't faced before.

TheDarkArchon said:

This. Rated X: Contains scenes of bestality, violence and strong language

That was fucked

Not bad Tallent-wise

The doomguy is too badass for heaven.

How would it be represented in Doom? Hrm.

I think everything would be very earthy. Lots of dirt, grass, trees, etc. Perhaps very little archtectur. Lotsof wide open spaces. Pristine waterfalls.
Alternatively I think it could be presented as an ezpansive snowfeild.

Well, I haven't seen Doom 3's Hell, but if it's annoying like Doom or Doom 2's, I think Heaven would be similar, just a lot "friendlier." It would be neat to see an interpretation of Heaven in Doom 3 in which all of the demons are mercilessly slaughtering and disemboweling the angels and whatnot. It would also be cool if the Doomguy could kill the angels as well.

I think heaven on the Zdoom engine would work like this:

THE DOOMGUY GOES TO HEAVEN

You rip out your chainsaw, thrashing the blade at all the demons. You see your reflection in one Demon's eye, and you immediately cut the eye in half. You see the exit's about 10 paces away. You feel the demons chomping on you. Something must be done. Another door opens, and more imps and demons pour out. Your chainsaw jams. Your SSG is out of ammo. The berserk pack you accidentaly left to be unused is at the start of the level. There's no choice but to stand there, and wait for death. You fought for good, but killed a lot of really scary monsters. You wonder what's going to happen when you die. Will you stay in hell and restart at the level, or possibly at the hangar, where your doom began? Or would you go to purgetory, or heaven? You stood there, being flamed, scratched, and chomped on. A demon bit your neck. You fell to the ground and died.

You woke up with your SSG in your hand. You looked around. A big staircase was right in front of you, with pictures of God, Jesus, and John Romero along the walls of the staircase. You climbed it. You felt your neck. It had been healed! What if the demons dragged you to a healthpack and threw you into the exit portal? But why would there be pictures of Jesus and God and JOHN ROMERO? You climb the stiarcase to find out. The hallway begins to get darker. You can feel the low humidity, resembling a cave. You begin to see dead imps, demons, and hell knights. You climb farther, with your SSG loaded. You hear a footstep. You turn around. Nothing. You resume climbing. Signs warning you to go back are on the walls now. Dead army guys are hung on the wall. You see your best friend, Jason, with his body blasted into the wall, and his head remaining lodged into a gap in the wall. All of a sudden, you reach the door to somewhere. Could this be purgatory? No. No dead bodies would be here. A corpse is hung on the ceiling blocking your ability to get through the door. You push it aside, and open the door.

Then you saw heaven. Trees, grass, birds, waterfalls, and crosses were all in this place. This looked like heaven. It must be. Then what happened to your friends that became zombies and you killed them? You decide they must be here, dezombified. You run towards a river and jump in. A man tapped you on the back. "Nice to see you, John." "Sargent Jacobson? I...uh..." "Relax, I've been dezombified. I see you've been sent here too. It's a shame you lost." "Lost? Lost what?" "You lost the game, son. Hell has now taken over earth. I guess you were never fit to save the human race." "Screw that! How do i get back to hell?" "Well, son, you have to become a fallen angel. You have to do something so terrifying that God has to get rid of you. You can be sent to purgatory and climb the long staircase to hell, if you wish." "I'll do it!"

It's a start, but I think i accurately portrayed what would happen if the doomguy gets sent to hevaen. I'm planning a new fanfic about this. This was just a start.

Doomguy would end up in hell because whether they are evil or not the demons are still God's creatures. Heaven would just be white, with lots of weapons and ammo... a noob's dream... my dream.

I wonder why Christians seem to have a problem with games like Doom even though it involves you slaughtering demons. There needs to be more games where you slaughter angels, innocent children and old women, preferably through chainsaw-sodomy :-p

GoatLord said:

I wonder why Christians seem to have a problem with games like Doom even though it involves you slaughtering demons. There needs to be more games where you slaughter angels, innocent children and old women, preferably through chainsaw-sodomy :-p

Part 1: To the christaians, Demon killing is Jesus'/Gods/The angels work and not ours

Part 2L have you tried THE GTA games?

St. Doom said:

Part 2L have you tried THE GTA games?

GTA is woman's work when it is compared to games like carmageddon, i thought that game rocked, it was far more gory than GTA, gta is just *prostitute.........splat*
carmageddon is
* old lady with a zimoframe......splurge....hahahaha i took off her arm and leg, look she's trying to crawl away.....vroooom.....damn i missed her head*

ummmm....i picture that heaven would be a big ass wall, and you have to stay there with thousands of angels preparing to fight a war against the legions of hell, call of duty style :D

And how about purgatory?

I think it should have brown castles, brown and red mountains with a white sky. Some towers.

Vegeta said:

And how about purgatory?

I think it should have brown castles, brown and red mountains with a white sky. Some towers.

Doesn't...Painkiller show this (and ain't Painkiller similar to DOOM 2)

As for the Doom guy---who said he can't be a demon himself, attacking heavenly forces?

And why would christians have problems with DOOM? There's absolutely no sex in DOOM and demons are "cartoons" and they DON'T act like biblical demons (no grace at all, no beguiling, that's what I mean.) No Jesus, no God, no satan. Hmm, I can almost picture an orthodox priest playing DOOM or the like, when no one sees him. Best of all, it's virtual. Not real!

Heaven in DOOM would be:

- Geometrically beautiful. I imagine that there would be a lot of intricate, infinite patterns.
- Very well lit and ordered. Getting from one place to another would be really simple.
- Filled with intellectual excercises... interesting stuff in general.
- Very peaceful, laid-back, and relaxed.
- The angels would be people that you would want to talk to and trust. They would spend all their time building, crafting, and coding.

If there was a game about going to this heaven or being invaded by it, it would be called HOPE and it would be a fun puzzle game or turn-based strategy game with a very careful style of gameplay.

ssfsx17 said:

Heaven in DOOM would be:
- The angels would be people that you would want to talk to and trust. They would spend all their time building, crafting, and coding.

And playing DOOM? ;-)

On Heaven in DOOM:
There'd be 255 lighting everywhere, cloud textured floors and a pleasant blue skybox.
I imagine there'd be an edge to it somewhere, with a 15,000 (more or less) sector depth drop back to earth.

On Christians and DOOM:
I imagine some evangelical Christian mothers might have a problem with their children being corrupted by MUS metal.
That's a bit of a stretch, I s'pose. But perhaps, not that much.

Then there's the blood 'n' gore. Just the sight of it, pixellated or not, really makes some people uncomfortable.

My mother (Southern Baptist - wheee) was quite displeased with me when she saw I had borrowed a copy of DOOM for the 32X from a friend years ago. She read the back of the box before we even pulled out of his driveway, takes me home, gives me a talk on how Satan is trying to corrupt me through stuff like this, and hides it behind a picture.

Oh well, had the game on the family's 486DX2-66, anyway, so there.

Assuming we are using Doom 3 cannon, look at the Demons! Are they humanlike in the least? Something makes me think that the Angels would be alien and inhuman as well, with Heaven being similar to the Doom 3 Hell, a void of pure, pulsing energy, with the occasional floating structure. If you want to see the Doom 2 Heaven, look for a ZDoom mod called Bittersweet, by Little White Mouse