Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chopkinsca

Outdoor/natural areas are ugly in doom.

http://chopkinsca.homestead.com/files/wontbefinished/DOOM0103.jpg

http://chopkinsca.homestead.com/files/wontbefinished/DOOM0104.jpg

You need to actually be playing the map for it to look a little bit proper. Static images of the area take away it's depth.

The map is in early alpha stages (or is it beta?) at the moment, therefore lacks optimizations.

I don't know why I am posting these screenshots though. Maybe they will be interesting to someone, as I know I haven't seen anything like this in doom before. It really stands out when in motion, and I think I made some decent looking flowing water in this too.

Well, here's to hoping it gets finished. =)

It depends, I've seen a few nice ones (Espi's Zoom track and an old 1-level TC I made) but they always require a lot of custom textures and sprites. In fact, in Espi's case he just rendered a giant 4,096x4,096 flat and applied it to the entire map square :P

Ugly terrain? Nonsense. Only people who don't truley appreciate how far Doom has advanced would think that. Of course there are some exceptions. :)

Your outdoor shots look relly nice, I know what to expect from the engine, so nothing really looks 'ugly' to me these days, when obvious effort is applied at least.

I'm assuming the map will have a tall sky of some sort; the stretched sky contrasts greatly with the scenery.

Mivalekan said:
Only people who don't truley appreciate how far Doom has advanced would think that.

What does advancing have to do with anything? Relatively speaking, for people used to newer games or engines, these screenshots here could well look like shit pretty much like any other DOOM screenshot. These pics remind one of an old school flight simulator, if anything. Liking DOOM's rendering is a matter of taste, and "levels of detailing" are merely a degree inside those particular tastes (some people like more, some less.)

Use3D said:
so nothing really looks 'ugly' to me these days, when obvious effort is applied at least.

I don't completely agree; good looks is a matter of style and design, and lots of effort can be put into something that has an ugly appearance (depending on who's judging.) For example, something can be quite detailed, spotlessly aligned, reasonably applying textures of relatively good quality and displaying areas that are easily identifiable or sensible, but on the other hand have bad layout proportions or otherwise pointless and redundant (if not obtrusive) architecture or lighting (two much more important elements, in my opinion.)

Mivalekan said:

Of course there are some exceptions. :)

The Island 1 and 2 come to mind, as do Super Sonic Doom maps 2, 3, and 4.

those shots are awesome. i'd love to play a huge non-linear 'world' kind of wad with terrain like that.

It looks pretty cool, with some monsters running around I bet it would be a lot of fun to play

myk said:

I don't completely agree; good looks is a matter of style and design, and lots of effort can be put into something that has an ugly appearance (depending on who's judging.)

Yes I suppose you're right about that.

THAT is not crappy at all. That is some good damn work there, i'll tell ya what. Keep us updated.

From the perspective of someone who prefers modern games, of course it looks like shit. But considering Doom's limitations, I think it looks quite good and with some lighting and perhaps some custum textures it would look even nicer. I bet it would look pretty cool on Vavoom.

Dron said:

I'd like to see an actual map made with that though. Sure it's good for making some killer skybox stuff, but working with the maps it generates is a pain in the ass unless you used a really low res image and it's simple. Having everything be a series of triangles was, at least for me, a big pain indeed. This however is based on using it closer to when it first came out, so I'm not sure if it's improved since then.

Wow! this looks amazing! I absolutely loved your map in Community Chest 2 and I can only expect bigger and better things from this map!