Find results in...
Fredrik

How old is the universe

How old is it?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How old is it?

• 13.7 × 10^9 years
    • < 10000 years

What about people who still support the Steady State Theory? There's no option for them in this poll.

Some people have calculated the first by observation and measurement using advanced tools that are progressively being developed.

Long ago some other people had concluded the latter by measuring time in relation to the human generations, (some of which supposedly lived hundreds of years) considering that the universe is only slightly older than the first human, that was created from dirt or clay of some sort by some vague entity of ultimate power.

The former seems more reasonable but is unverified and just an estimate, and the latter is bullshit that came out of an oral tradition about families that ruled over others in the early stages of certain semitic tribes.

So, probably neither, strictly speaking.

Fredrik said:

I agree.

Despite red shift, you don't think heat death is inevitable? Or what is your theory on an eternal, yet expanding universe?

Doom Marine said:

The Universe is 5,000 years old, and the Earth is flat. Damnit.

Whoah. And do you eat rabbit?

I like the "Big Crush" theory, the universe (including time itself) was created in the big bang and will eventually end in the big crush. Symmetry. Plus you can visualise the universe as a 4 dimensional (or higher) solid object.

I guess the universe is 13 billion years old or whatever the scientists are saying these days. I don't really care, it doesn't really matter. The metaverse as a whole obviously exists without concept of time or reality would be impossible.

Danarchy said:
The metaverse as a whole obviously exists without concept of time or reality would be impossible.

How priestly.

Last I heard, the universe doesn't have enough matter to keep itself together. Or at the very least, the cosmological constant is real and is causing the universe to expand. Point is, the universe is simply going to keep expanding until all of the stars die out, and then eventually all of their component molecules and atoms will decay, and finally, all of their component protons and electrons will disintegrate, and the universe shall be a cold, empty void. Not to be a downer or anything. But this pretty much excludes the possibility that the universe is infinitely old. Well, I suppose it could mean that the universe would have an end, but not a beginning, but that's just too mind-boggling to think about.

The universe was made of Flan. Also, God is often portrayed as James Mason.

Quast said:

Despite red shift, you don't think heat death is inevitable? Or what is your theory on an eternal, yet expanding universe?

I don't think what, and why do you think I thought that?

Fredrik said:

why do you think I thought that?

you seemed to agree with Gokuma...and looking back, I guess simultaneously disagreeing with him as well. I understand though. The big bang was the moment of creation for space and time, so you were right in both ways.

Why is it that many Christians seem to think that it's only 6000 yrs old?

God created the world in 6 days. Therefore the Earth and Universe didn't require as much time to develop as the scientists proclaim.

You see, there really was no time for dinosaurs to live and die out. They are all made up by the men in white coats to mock the only one true religion.

m0l0t0v said:

God created the world in 6 days. Therefore the Earth and Universe didn't require as much time to develop as the scientists proclaim.

You see there really was no time for dinosaurs to live and die out. They are all made up by the men in white coats to mock the only one true religion.

"And the meek shall inherit the earth. Oh what? Well we'll give it to these huge scaley monsters and things. You don't mind if you don't inherit the earth?" "Meek: What do we want? We want the earth! When do we want it? Now motherfucker!"

"Ah yes and the dinosaurs shall rule the earth until something drastic happens to the world's thermostat.." *Fiddle*

Sorry for going off subject but one thing that gets debated is that where humans created from the Earth like Adam/Prometheans or did they evolve from Cro-Magnon?

But back on the universe, we will never know exactly how old it is. But OUR solar system is a different story. Estimatingly it is around 4.6 billion years old.

Grazza said:

What about people who still support the Steady State Theory? There's no option for them in this poll.

Why support it? Discovery of Cosmic Microwave Background radiation proved it wrong a few decades ago.

The poll has an option for an even less well supported "theory", so why not?

Also, there are "Quasi Steady State Theories" that aren't necessarily at odds with observations.

The Universe is a heartbeat. It expands and contracks. This expansion may look like an explosion, or BIG BANG. but I like to look at it as Gods beating Heart. We on the other hand are moving soo fast that the rest of the Universe seems to be moving very slowly. So slow that only a few notice it moving at all. And in just a heartbeat we and other life forms like us manage to exist over and over and over again.

So how old is the universe starting from the first beat?