Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacoDoomer

Favorite TC?

What is your favorite Doom or Doom 2 TC? I'd have to say Batman Doom. It was very well done. GhostBusters Doom is cool too but its not complete. By the way, does anyone know what that music is from in 4'th level and the China Town level (The level that was orginally the construction Zone) from GB Doom?

I can't get Sonic Doom to run for some reason. Why does the zip include a batch file, expecting users to somehow run it in XP?

There are very few genuine TCs. I'd have to say Hacx I suppose. Chex Quest was a bit unexciting, and I could never really get into Aliens TC for some reason.

S.T.R.A.I.N.

GoatLord said:

I can't get Sonic Doom to run for some reason. Why does the zip include a batch file, expecting users to somehow run it in XP?

XP supports batch files.

My favorite DOOM 64 TC, but if you not refer to that, then (in no particular order) Aliens TC, Batman DOOM, DOOM Z (not Zdoom, a Dragon Ball Z mod, it turned a lot better when I added extra characters and a lot of dehacked tweeks, the only one that is still fun for me), the sprites of Hacx (not the maps or gameplay, specially not in the last maps).

And just wait for what DOOM 2.5 promise for the not that far future :-) (yes, still alive).

Edit: And GBD2, how could I forget it. I'd include Osiris and Action DOOM but they're partial convertions (wich I usually prefer).

Hacx, Barf how could a commercial product be so cruddy... Batman Doom is the only correct answer, and I'll also accept Aliens TC. Ghostbusters doom? What's that?

Bloodshedder said:

S.T.R.A.I.N.

How is strain a TC?

As for total conversions...dunno...Action Doom and Zen Dynamics aren't total conversions...I'd have to say Doom2 Extreme and the Gold one. They may not be great, but they're TCs.

Total conversion:
Chosen
Not only it was innovative at almost everything-gameplay, level design, story, it had new graphics, sound, music, but most importantly and what contributes the most is that it was NOT a rehash of the so used-everywhere Doom story. It felt like a totally new game.

Hacx was a bit too cruddy and lacked a sense of plot-world in danger, kill mutated spawn, fire and don't stop firing :/ Nevertheless, fun as hell.

Batman Doom wasn't exactly fitting to my taste.. maybe because I never liked Batman. and it wasn't a complete TC, albeit it did rock.

Partial Conversion: I'd have to go with Massmouth series, despite the art quality or rippies, many elements were fun and innovative and the story was intriguing and full of plot twists.

Super Sonic Doom was very fun but I simply can't call it a conversion in any way. Doom done the Sonic way, yes, but a conversion-no.

I'd also pick Action Doom .. but it's too short! :(

Two others deserve a mention in this thread. Not personal favourites, but too good to be forgotten:

Arctic Research Center A1
ZanZan

Both quite short, and a bit lacking in variety (ZanZan has few weapons, Arctic is deficient in terms of enemies), but very nicely executed. I don't recall if Arctic quite qualifies as a TC either - maybe it uses some stock textures.

Vegeta said:

My favorite DOOM 64 TC, but if you not refer to that, then (in no particular order) Aliens TC, Batman DOOM, DOOM Z (not Zdoom, a Dragon Ball Z mod, it turned a lot better when I added extra characters and a lot of dehacked tweeks, the only one that is still fun for me), the sprites of Hacx (not the maps or gameplay, specially not in the last maps).

And just wait for what DOOM 2.5 promise for the not that far future :-) (yes, still alive).

Edit: And GBD2, how could I forget it. I'd include Osiris and Action DOOM but they're partial convertions (wich I usually prefer).

Where can I get DoomZ?

Bashe said:

What port does that use? It's own?

It uses a custom-tailored version of Doom Legacy.

Oh come on, no one liked that Simpsons TC. I downloaded that when i first bought (Final) Doom, and I thought it was pretty funny. Or you mean TC as in changign the levels too?

OneManArmy said:

Oh come on, no one liked that Simpsons TC. I downloaded that when i first bought (Final) Doom, and I thought it was pretty funny. Or you mean TC as in changign the levels too?

TC == TOTAL conversion. No new level means it's not a total conversion.

Bloodshedder said:

S.T.R.A.I.N.

XP supports batch files.

My version of XP doesn't. Any attempt to open it and the window just instantly disappears.

GoatLord: try using the command prompt, instead of double-clicking on the .bat file icon...

Oh, and to answer the question: Batman Doom, of course.

GoatLord said:

My version of XP doesn't. Any attempt to open it and the window just instantly disappears.

No, that's almost certainly not what the problem is here. See this thread.

Nmn said:

Total conversion:
ChosenBatman Doom wasn't exactly fitting to my taste.. maybe because I never liked Batman. and it wasn't a complete TC, albeit it did rock.

If batman doom isn't the absolute definition of TC then nothing is. Nothing in Batman Doom is the same as Doom2 aside from a couple flats and a texture of two. 32 new levels, all new graphics and completely reworked exe. If Batman Doom isn't "complete" TC then there are probably no projects that are a TC.

The term PC and TC seems to have an enormous grey area... does a TC need to replace everything as the name implies, and does that require all 32 levels to be replaced as well? If Aliens Doom is a TC then that would make Action Doom a TC as well. Is STRAIN a megawad with some graphical and minor exe changes... or a TC? Can aynoe shore up this vast interpretation?

It's only my personal opinion about it Skoobz. A TOTAL conversion has NOTHING from Doom (like Chosen) and as You said-BD has a texture or two (look at the sewers level) :(

Scuba Steve said:
If batman doom isn't the absolute definition of TC then nothing is.

The absolute definition would be Aliens TC (I mean, the moniker was practically invented there, and it's older than DOOM II.) But of course you're right. Whether or not some of DOOM's resources are found useful for a "conversion" isn't really relevant; what matters is that the game was clearly turned into something else in both looks and functionality.

As for my favorite, maybe Hexen or Succubi (depending on what type of TC we're considering.)