Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Unfinished Doom Sprites (Fredrik?)

I got this idea off of another post I read.

How many of you out there started the first frame of a l337 new doom monster you planned to make, only to be discouraged by the some 50-odd frames you had left to go.

Post them here, if ya got em. I think everyone's seen mine, but they were never intended to be full sets, unless it were demanded or something.

EDIT:
If someone has concept art of a monster but they don't do sprites I can promise to do at least the forward frames, :D

okay I know its not much, but it will give use more statues, and I want practice, maybe later I can do all frames for the really good ones.

Though I did complete them I never used them. They were my shotgunner sprites I made to look more like the Doom Marines:
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/6095/sposa17ej.png

I scrapped them after hours of copying and pasting but after even more hours of that I came up with something that satisfied me:
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/4968/playa12tm.png

so yeah...

Heh, I´ve got quite a few unfinished enemys floating around my HD... let´s see:

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/3996/hellserpent7xa.png
crappy snake, that was planned to replace the arachnotron

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/990/cobramage8zm.png
another snakelike creature; original and resized version.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6269/dimaw2xe.png
Cacodemon alternative.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/2586/ripper1ny.png
Quake inspired monster

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5039/acolyte6kb.png
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/9586/zombie8jg.png
i´ve posted these two already somewhere on Zdoom.org.

Hey Vader, that are ultra cool. Do you have any finished monsters? Are you working in some DOOM mod?

Thanks and yes I´ve actually finished some enemys :)
Look at the Cacolich and the Lord of Heresy from the Monster resource wad,
plus you´ll see some stuff once KDIZD is out.

Well, it´d take a couple of month to make full animations/rotations for a sprite of that size...
besides I´m pretty much overloaded with sprite tasks ATM so no, sorry.

Care to post a link the monster resource wad? I have yet to see it, but if what I've seen here is any indication of what there could be, I'd love to see it.

Holy Crap, Vader, those are really good sprites, some of the best I've seen for monster sprites, in fact! All of the creatures you've made remind me of game called Shadow Caster, which had a similar sort of vibe or fantasy based graphical style to it. What did you use to make them? I imagine it would be very hard to do rotations without some sort of base or whatever to judge the angles from, unless you're naturally good at doing that by hand.

those are kickass sprites Vader, I like them better than the doom originals, are you going to finish them, I'm just breaking into sprite editing, but I'd love to be able to do what you've done, I can already pixel decently here are my doom bastardizations.

I'd like to use yours for studying. If you had given up on them I'd ask you if I could finish the frames, but I'm not up to a task like that so early into editing, I need to practice animation more.

Heh awesome. I know a good way you could make use of unfinished sprites. In a level have some area, a gallery, a "hall of champions," etc, with statues of monsters up on pedestals. Have the statues be a grayscaled mix of the unfinished monsters and finished monsters who actually appear in the level. So you can at least scare the player a little with unfinished but really nasty looking enemies. Better yet have the player teleport or drop into a room suddenly right in front of one of really badass ones to give them a little scare before they notice it's just a motionless statue.

I mean just some animations in the same angle. I once made a wad with that sprite (icon_p.wad).

Anyway, as Snarboo said, these sprites are among the best I have seen. I specialy like the Quake inspired, the first snake, the Caco, and the zombie, the kind of monsters that Final DOOM and Thy Flesh Consumed need (just imagine the Quake inspired one moving across one of the maps from Plutonia). It should be cool to make a patch and include them.
How much time would you need to finish them?

More than ever I can't wait for KDiZD.

I can't find the Lord of Heresy, is it the Baron from Rebirth?

Thanks you all :)

Snarboo said:

What did you use to make them? I imagine it would be very hard to do rotations without some sort of base or whatever to judge the angles from, unless you're naturally good at doing that by hand.

All pixeled in mspaint and yeah, it´s quite hard to get the rotation angles right.
After a while of practise you learn a few tricks though ;)

Xanthier said:
are you going to finish them...
I'd like to use yours for studying. If you had given up on them I'd ask you if I could finish the frames...[/B]

No, propably not.
Feel free to use them in any way you want!

@Gokuma: Sounds like a cool idea, might add that as an easter egg in my next map :D

@Vegeta: Yes it´s the Rebirth Baron, actually I didn´t even know it made it´s way into the MRW

@Xenphire:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12748

Vader said:

@Gokuma: Sounds like a cool idea, might add that as an easter egg in my next map :D

Cool, glad you like it. It would be a shame to let all those sprites go unused.

holy shit those sprites are awesome, vader.

Seconded.

Bjorn knows a fistful or tricks I'm only discovering :) In monster sprites he's really the best dude around.

here's my crappy modified doom sprites, I'm ready to try some from scratch.

heres the only sprite, well FPS sprite that I have -- the Termato

I had an animation of him firing, I know he kinda sucks, and the colors are glaring but he's old.
I also had one of a doom sprite I did of a floating eye, the attack was completely animated with machine guns firing, but alas I lost it in the great hard drive crash of 2002. That was my favorite too :(
maybe I will redo him, still got the concept art.

yeah that was kind of a joke, not very doom-ish now that i think of it. What was the 7th boss, and didn't they make an FPS of that game recently?

Looks cool Xanthier!
I would suggest to finish full animations/rotations for one of those modified doom sprites, before starting something from scratch...
it will help a lot to get used to the different angles and such ;)

Vader said:

Looks cool Xanthier!
I would suggest to finish full animations/rotations for one of those modified doom sprites, before starting something from scratch...
it will help a lot to get used to the different angles and such ;)

Thanks Vader, don't wanna get ahead of myself, baby steps is where its at, good suggestion!

Xanthier said:

What was the 7th boss?

The stomach guy who jumped a lot and attacked you with stomach acid. (I can't remember his name. CUTMAN!!)

TheDarkArchon said:

The stomach guy who jumped a lot and attacked you with stomach acid. (I can't remember his name. CUTMAN!!)

The only guy I can think of close to that is Flamin' Yawn from Earthworm Jim 2 in "Level Ate". There was no one like that in the first one.

Back on topic, um...
Those are great sprites, Vader.
Xanthier - I want to see more of the Termato.

TheDarkArchon said:

Doctor Duodenum? Something interesting I noticed while playing the SNES version of EWJ1 on an emulator is that Doctor Duodenum and the stomach level you fight him in seems to be cut from the SNES version for some reason, although I don't know if that is actually the case with the real cartridge. It came as a surprise to me while I was playing SNES EWJ1 because I own and have only really played the Genesis version, which had the level intact. Perhaps the level was cut due to Nintendo's infamous censorship policy at the time? Anyway, didn't mean to get offtopic. :)