Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Another of these sodding glides in TVR!:

TVR! map29 (Hall of Maim) UV Speed in 0:51. It's the only time in many attempts where I got the glide at more or less the first attempt but alas... it was in an ugly run.

The actual way I exit might come as a bit of a surprise unless you know this map really well (or at least, better than I did at first). The zip also contains a weird demo and a collection of 0:53s.

Time for me to post something in this thread, too. :-)

I found a neat rocket jump directly to the exit in Andy Badorek's wonderful map 7 clone Zap07. The fastest UV speedrun/pacifist I could manage is 0:11, but I'm still not convinced you need the rocket launcher to do the jump. If one were to pull it off with only strafe-50, this run could go considerably faster. PrBoom 2.2.4 -complevel 0, as usual. Enjoy! :-)

Kristian, you forgot the tilde in the URL :)

This map brings back memories! Back then I didn't even think of such tricks, great find. I tried a little and in about a tenth try I succesfully strafe-jumped to the exit room. No demo though (at least yet), I just saved the game in nomonsters and experimented. But now we know it's possible for sure.

... and here it is in 0:06! Thank you, Donce, for your wonderful run! I would've just forgotten about this one if you hadn't proven that hard jump to be possible.

0:05 can be done, but it's way beyond my skills.

BTW, I still consider my 0:15 run (with the soulpshere and rocket launcher) to be my best run on this map, even though it's on an inferior route...

Just so I can say I finally did something vaguely constructive instead of just commenting all the time... here's a built demo in 0:05 (5.97 seconds to be exact).

It's based on Kristian's 0:06 - hope you don't mind. :)

Hello again,

I did some more "random demos", on Massimo Ciano's two well-done Quake remakes:

"Castle of the Damned" (Quake E1M2): UV speed in 0:25, UV max in 1:58.
"House of Cyberdemon" (Quake E1M7): UV speed in 0:05, UV max in 0:19.

I'm very satisfied with the two speedruns. The max runs aren't nearly as optimized.
Recorded with PrBoom 2.2.4 -complevel 0. Enjoy! :-)

It's funny seeing those Quake maps in the Doom engine. There are also some Quake speedruns on conversions of Doom maps. The Quakeguy is a bit slow compared to our marine; e.g. the speed record on doom2_01 is 0:08 (and considered optimal).

Shame there isn't a monster handy to open the blue key door in "Castle of the Damned".

Anyway, I haven't had much time to record lately, but have been wrestling with one speedrun, trying to get it under a minute. I finally succeeded:

Fenris by Sean Briggs, UV Speed in 0:59. The wad is included in this zip, since I needed to give it a new REJECT so that non-desynching demos could be recorded on it. If you want the original wad for whatever reason, then it is here.

I've always been a big fan of the Blind Alley Series so I decided to take a level which didn't have many demos available for it on DSDA and attempt a UV Max run on it. I chose Blind Alley B., "Octagon of Fear" and managed to complete it in 5:40

Its not a complelty optimised run as I make a few silly little mistakes but I'm happy with it.

By the way, those were some pretty impressive runs Kristian Ronge.

Thanks, Phil! I'm glad you liked them. But the max runs can be improved upon; for instance I count to 9 shots in castl158.lmp that either miss or aren't optimal. That's 9 shots, in a 2 minute demo. Well... :-/

Anyway, going to watch your run now. Gene's maps are always great for max runs, this is surely no exception.

EDIT: Fine run!

Oh, and Grazza: your Fenris run is excellent. It's obvious you put a lot of effort into it. I can't really see how anyone could get that run below 0:50. Nice.

Kristian those are some great runs. ;)

Phil, Thanks my friend, for doing that run on BAB. I consider anything under 7 flat, smokin' fast. Great job on that old map! Always fun to see an old one done just for giggles. And done really well to boot. I know that took more than just a few runs to get. Thanks for taking the time. To think I almost didn't release that map because it was so darn old. Much like another 20 or so rotting on my hard drive. Old, Poorly done, but fun.

Hi guys. I saw that post about those quake maps and thought I would give them a try. I haven't watched the demos but they seem like pretty good times. I did 18 secs on the e1m7 map in max for practice. I would like to try to record some demos here.

ok I made some demos.
Castleof.wad:
speed- 24
max- 1:45
tyson- 3:04
nightmare- 32
pacifist- 27

Thehouse.wad:
speed- 5
max- 17

Of these demos, the 24 second speedrun was quite difficult.
The 32 second nightmare and the 17 second max were also somewhat
difficult. The rest were not hard.

Well, Crusader by Samuel is in no way a random map, but the lmp is nothing above ordinary. Did a max in 10:58. Due to a berserk at the very start and lots of health, a tyson fan would probably enjoy this map (xit-vono: hint, hint :) ).

Nice demo on a tricky map. I'd noticed the BFG grab when I reviewed it, but I don't think I realized the megasphere could be grabbed too.

BTW, I've changed the thread title, as the word "random" seemed to be proving ambiguous.

I did a quickie* on a map recently in /newstuff:

Tectonic by Christopher Burgess (no relation!), UV Pacifist in 1:15.

Funny, after being shot ragged in most of my previous attempts, I had a run where I was hardly scratched at all.

<small>* In terms of the amount of time spent on it.</small>

Hey grazza, thats pretty quick man !!

BTW thanks for playing my map, i should have made it harder though....

cheers

CHRIS Burgess

Played hl_op.wad (Half-Life) by non other than Opulent and couldn't resist :)

Recorded three demos, one Max and two Nightmares (first exit and fastest exit). The map is very short, so you can go for some lower times here.

amberleaf said:

BTW thanks for playing my map, i should have made it harder though....

You're welcome. Yes, the difficulty settings could have been cranked up quite a bit without upsetting anyone - don't be afraid to make UV genuinely "ultra-violent". Just be sure to put in enough goodies to make it fair, and if you're in doubt about a map's balance, you can always ask for playtesters in these forums before you release the map.

It was still fun to play it this way though, and if people want to make it not such a stroll in the park (even if they use weapons!), then they can use -fast or -skill 5.

One other comment: I wasn't sure in a few places if you had intended it to be possible to jump across some of the gaps. I mean, for the exit area, why have a walkway that you can raise, when you can get across to the exit just with normal running? Also, you can cross the broken bridge with normal running at the left-hand side (I only strafe-ran across the middle in order to save a tiny little bit of time).

OK, I did another bloody demo. Or rather, my first Bloody demo.

Bloody map02, UV Speed in 1:14. A couple of tricks enable me to turn the intended route upside down, just like a speedrun should. :)

Note that the original wad can be found here, but the installation is quite a pain, and it includes a binary deh patch. The file I have uploaded to 3ddownloads* features the wad and a plain-text deh.

And yes, this wad is crazy.

Edit: ugh, I realize that I wasted a fair bit of time in this one. I should have studied the map more carefully to see exactly what triggered what before recording. :( Sadly I haven't time to have another go at it at the moment.

<small>* You need to have javascript on and accept cookies to download it.</small>

Grazza said:

OK, I did another bloody demo. Or rather, my first Bloody demo.

Bloody map02, UV Speed in 1:14. A couple of tricks enable me to turn the intended route upside down, just like a speedrun should. :)

Note that the original wad can be found here, but the installation is quite a pain, and it includes a binary deh patch. The file I had uploaded to 3ddownloads* features the wad and a plain-text deh.

And yes, this wad is crazy.

<small>* You need to have javascript on and accept cookies to download it.</small>

I'm not even sure I want to know what the intended route in this one is. Good demo, though. :)

I recorded a tool-assisted speedrun of Cyb's Runaway WAD in :22. This is my first demo ever. The map I chose is a short one to get the feel of it.

You might want to watch this with Andrey's "smooth playing" feature.

Donce:
both of your runs are good demos, I liked the speed one more, there is not much room to improvise for a max in this map, but it´s a nice map with some good traps.