Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

Favorite programming language(s)

I absolutely love C#. I can throw down with my GUI-designing madness. I also really like C++ for the backend of things, although I have to say Managed C++, while involving a complex and difficult number of casts while marshalling variables, is also extremely handy.

I like the syntax and style of Python, but I haven't done enough with it to say I like programming in it. Perl is evil, and Larry Wall should be disembowled with a scaling knife.

DC

I don't really know enough languages to really claim a "favourite". I've been using Java a lot at work though and I've really gotten quite fond of it. It's not without its share of problems, but I think it makes a nice trade-off between relatively simple syntax and and higher level concepts. Plus the JCL is an excellent resource, and even Swing is actually rather good if you take the time to learn it properly. I'd really like to try implementing a proper Doom editor in Swing at some point, but well, good intentions and all that.

Certainly Java it's a lot better than the other language I'm using, namely Object Pascal via Delphi. Syntactic sludge, a very messy oop code structure, and various other annoyances. As a RAD tool Delphi is okay, if you want a database app doublespeed I doubt there's any better way, but it'll probably at the expense of long term stability and a good user interface.

On the other hand, what do I know. I'm still a beginner compared to many. I would like to learn a good scripting language, Ruby and Python seem popular choices.

Oh and speaking of Java, you should all check out: Jake 2, a conversion of Quake 2 to Java. Apologies if it's img-timeline though, I only found it yesterday.

- Visual Basic 6
- ASP/HTML

Just started messing with C# a bit, but it seems too much like C++ for my taste.

Sooner or later I'll have to get into VB.Net but I'm put off the idea when I did a "hello world" windows forms app (just a form + textbox) and noticed it was eating more than 10 MB of RAM! (WTF!?). The funniest thing was the official "workaround" from MS: minimize and then maximize the form!

I hate C++ with a passion :)

I've been dipping my toes in the C# pool recently. Looks pretty good, I've found the auto-serialization stuff quite interesting. I'm not sure what's going on with their capital letters though. Capital for class, lowercase for method seemed a pretty good rule. Now I'm not sure what's what at all!

I have vast knowledge of C and C++ which keeps growing, so I would have to say those two. I also like to play around with Assembly once in a while.

However, languages that give you some very practical functionalities of Haskell (lists, type inference, polymorphism) in an imperative environment seem like bliss...

edit: holy shit, it's imperative Haskell :P

Fredrik said:

Websites that speak in first person without providing the name of the author make me want to destroy things.

Googling the author's email address reveals his name as Edwin Brady.

I actually figured it out by downloading the source package and reading the CREDITS file. I wouldn't have downloaded it otherwise. Clever trick by that Brady guy.

From most the least used:
FreeBASIC
65x Assembler (on C64)
GCC with SDL and as a GUI dev-cpp

Nothing releaseworthy, just playing around with it.

My favorite language is Python, because it is simple and simply awesome. Also I like 68k assembly, the processor has a neat instruction set.

I've yet to delve into assembler, although I got a sparcstation 5 for the purpose.

Some HTML.

Minor, MINOR bits of Basic and Visual Basic. "Hello world" and all.

Some bastardized form of C++ called GraalScript that was used in the online game Graal. So I think I understand how C++ works.

Starcraft trigger system. The trigger systems in the Timesplitters 2/3 map editors.

1.) HTML
2.) SQL
3.) PHP
4.) some of VB

But to be absolutely honest, #3 and #4 on my list are not being used as often as #1 and #2, because I just studied PHP and VB last year but I haven't had many chances to apply them outside of school yet.
While HTML I type in Notepad at least once every month, and SQL I just finished studying this semester (my final exam was yesterday morning!).

So, basically, yes I am still in school. And I have yet to experience the horrors of C++.

Has anyone used D? I've been looking into other languages lately (since C++ has caused the growth of a large tumor on the side of my torso), and I came across it. It seems like a really great reworking of C/C++.

DC

I don't really have a favourite programming language, however there're several languages which i absolutely hate:

Perl
C++
Java
PHP
Any sort of assembler