Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeiHellDemonKiller

Can you edit the doom gfx?

By "edit the doom gfx" I presume you mean edit the graphic itself - i.e., change colors, shapes, etc. You will need to:

1. Export the graphic to a graphics editing program (such as MS Paint, Photoshop, etc.)
    2. Make your changes in the graphics editing program.
    3. Import your altered graphics back into your PWAD.
If you use DeepSea you do not need to export your graphic - the program allows you to point DeepSea to your graphics editor, where you will make your changes, then DeepSea saves the changes into your wad automatically.

You can export graphics (and most else) via DeepSea. I think it makes a nearly full replacement for WinTex (which requires the VB runtime files - dang.)
If you want .GIF graphics, use dmgraph.

Or, if you want a decent edito--a less bloated edito--an editor made solely for managing the files inside of a .WAD, try XWE. With it, WinTex is almost (note: almost) useless.

All you have to do to export a graphic is select it and then go to Entry > Save As..

As far as I can tell, Wintex's only real advantage is that it automatically converts MIDI files into the MUS format when you import them. Everything else about it is unintuitive and illogical, in my opinion.

Well, that isn't much considering even Doom will paly a MIDI off the bat (as long as it meets MUS specifications otherwise.)

WinTex can do a lot of things, and if you're used to it, it can serve its purpose. There's no harm suggesting XWE to new wad makers, though, since it has a more modern interface and is currently actively maintained and developed (as opposed to sporadic maintenance and additions.)

Zeg-Vok said:

Just wondering, what can Wintex do that XWE cant?

With Wintex, you can double click on an image to open it and paint, and you can just edit it from there and then save it. With XWE, you have to export and then import again.