Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Popup advertising just keeps getting better

I don't know. I saw this in a popup, and I thought it was a really clever technique. It will probably get a lot of clicks.

Heh, there are plenty of video sites with webcam ads like this. You (involuntarily) load up some chat applet, and it's a bunch of horny guys talking to a looping video feed and a chat bot.

Relica Religia said:

They really should get a medal for how well they're willing to sell their souls to annoy people that much.

Didn’t you see some new spam bots? These ones post spam even in web forums or mailing lists. GRRRRRR!

Numbermind said:

Heh, there are plenty of video sites with webcam ads like this. You (involuntarily) load up some chat applet, and it's a bunch of horny guys talking to a looping video feed and a chat bot.

public chat rooms are intolerable for this reason, they are flooded with bots, it's ridiculous.

People may click on it sure, but how many people are actually going to stay there? whats the point? and don't people know some messenger doesn't just popup on your screen unless you download it unless its java but then you still have to login for people to find you, etc etc.

I hate these ads that blow up to take up the whole screen and these stupid, stomp the spider, shoot the prime minister, shave a cat, on and on, I hate some parts of the internet.

Unscrupulous businessmen are (as always) abusing people's patience or taking advantage of them. All kinds of intrusive advertising have been around for decades but the problem is that the Internet is a much easier medium to spread it.

On a somewhat related note, a friend of mine found out some site was mirroring some of his LiveJournal posts without contacting him about it first.

She wants your blood for sustenance.

There was one for Yahoo personals who looked like his idea of a good time would be a sunset walk on the beach, candle light dinner, and good ol' fashioned alley raping.

Those ads creep me out.

"Body Type: Curvy"
Technically, everybody's curvy.
What would really help is telling me where it's generally concave/convex, y'know?

spank said:

Unscrupulous businessmen

That's not gender neutral! These people may be businesswomen.

This reminds me of these bots that kept messaging me right before I deleted ICQ, threw it into the abyss, burned it, and pissed on its ashes. It was like total gibberish that vaguely sounded like a woman trying to hit on me. Example:

Dumbot: Helo how ar u?

Dumbot: Today beautiful. It is such mysteriou!

Dumbot: I 22 brun, live in Australa. I model!

Dumbot: I see lovely! Feel horny!

Dumbot: I on webcam at <url>

Then sometimes it wouldn't even give me a fucking URL, which was just bizarre.

heh shes from Chicago. Anyway, I've noticed they're using a lot of techniques to get around these popup blockers. It's friggin annoying how they get around these things and how there's a really tiny box that you click on to close it, sometimes never.

heh the reason it works is because while logically it makes no sense for popping up, seeing as you havent signed in or installed anything, the shock of it popping up is enough to get you to look twice, and some less aware people wont think. Its all playing with emotion and surprise and timing, the fact is you really DONT think immediatly when something like that happens, and they hope it wont dawn on you until after you've clicked.

thats why they invented the "your computer has no protection against viruses. Click here to install (so and so)!" I clicked on one, and it lead me to bonzi buddy. My friend told me it would give me a virus for a day, but i used my laptop and it was fine.

I dont see how anyone can survive with internet explorer today. i use mozilla and only open up explorer on rare occasion's to see how it is and i allways run into a whole plethora of pop-ups and spyware its just unbeleivable what spybot and ad-aware finds in comparison to a regular session with mozilla.

Regen said:
I dont see how anyone can survive with internet explorer today.

I use IE often, except when I know I'll be visiting places that might well have lots of spyware, and I don't really get anything harmful. Perhaps Spybot's Immunize list is pretty effective.

Hmm, i havent seen that thing yet... but i dont see ads that often.
*looks at that little "Adblock" button in the status bar and grins devilish*