Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Foofoo

can windows and mac OS read the same files?

i dont know much about the mac os, but if i were to save a picture/.jpg in windows can a mac read it alright?

yeah if it has a program installed that can read jpgs, which it does. Pretty much all media is interchangeable assuming the other OS has means of displaying the media. And things like txt, jpg, bmp, mp3, gif, and all those other common file formats are pretty much supported on any system.

Wasn't transferring files from Mac OS (versions prior to OS X) a pain because of the way HFS handled them?

spank said:

Wasn't transferring files from Mac OS (versions prior to OS X) a pain because of the way HFS handled them?

Years and years ago there were problems because MacOS and DOS used different filesystems on floppy disks.

fraggle said:

Years and years ago there were problems because MacOS and DOS used different filesystems on floppy disks.

Actually, I think he's talking about the forks or whatever they're called on an HFS tree. I believe they're sort of similar to the ADS in NTFS systems.

yes years ago it could be difficult. however most data today is easy to exhcange between OS's. i have no problems what so ever.

the only time i have issues is with very old stuff.

Sephiroth said:

yes years ago it could be difficult. however most data today is easy to exhcange between OS's. i have no problems what so ever.

the only time i have issues is with very old stuff.

With the release of a consumer CD burner, file transfer is not a problem anymore. Macs can read ISO format CD's.