Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Russell_P

Because /newstuff has been so bad lately..

....I thought I'd throw open a work-in-progress for public playtesting and comments.

This is the 'qualifying' map for a larger level set I'm working on called World Carnage League. It runs on map2 for ZDOOM. Just download the zip and dump all the files into your ZDoom directory. Run one of the batch files (depending on what skill level you want to play on).

Remember, it's a work in progress. The announcer samples are just placeholders at the moment. There is no staging area, so you'll end up on map1 instead after you've finished the level. Also bear in mind that this is not the sort of map in which you're likely to be able to get 100% kills.

The only difference between skill levels is that your target score differs.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, so have a bash and let me know what you think.....

here it is http://www.duellist.net/wcltest1.zip (4.2mb)

edit: just dug up a screen shot that I think I may have posted before...

Forgot to mention that you can jump in this level.

I have to say this is really fucking cool and I can't wait for the final product. I really like how there are so many aspects to the gameplay, like you still have ammo and health to worry about. Also, are you going to cover more weapons and perhaps more complicated level layouts (shortcuts, hard/easy paths)?

I plan to. This was the qualifying track and so it was fairly basic. But more weapons and arena style levels with multiple routes are in the pipeline.

this is some nice work. you are encouraged, nay ,expected to do\release more. :P

The only thing I think this really needs is some better weapon graphics and sounds (functionality needn't be changed, outside of cosmetic purposes, like the Chaingun's animation sequence). Aside from that, this is awesome stuff and I really really want to see more.

Hey, that's pretty damn neat. Interesting concept. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out! :)

Well, the screen shot looked really cool, but something about it was just nagging at me. Was it the implied game style? Was it my doubt as to whether something like this could play well in Doom? Was it my general dislike of racing games? However, I should have known not to doubt you Russell. This is amazing. Another fantastic spin on Doom gameplay. It's fast, it's frantic, it looks great (reminded me of Wipeout 2097), it works well and it's still got that essential Doom "I don't know what" (as the French would say).

To quote a certain Dark Lord of the Sith:

"Impressive, most impressive."

Enjay said:

reminded me of Wipeout 2097...

Yes. I have to admit this map/track was heavily inspired by Wipeout.

One problem I encounter is that killing monsters seems to be ridiculously difficult when running. I have to pretty much stop to kill anything and I think that sorta ruins the flow. Maybe less monsters, ones easier to kill, or perhaps being able to see them ahead of time?

You need to be looking to shoot the imps at, or close to, point blank. At this range most shots will kill with one hit. If you get the timing right you can run towards an imp, shoot him at close range and run right through him towards your next target as the shotgun reloads.

If you pick up a reasonable ammount of ammo (and lets face it, there's tons lying around) you'll be able to keep your finger on the fire button during a kill frenzy without any fear of running out. You can then afford to be a bit more reckless with your aiming and also be more effective at a longer range.

Wow, very nice.

It's pretty damn hard too, but I'll get better. Will there be different levels?

I love the music, is it original?

Oh, I don't know if anybody has noticed but you get a "superfist" if you pick up the chainsaw when continueing Doom 2. Well, that's what happens with me. It's pretty funny.

Yes the music is original. It was designed for this project by my friend James. He runs No Hype Records and records under the name Monkeymind.. He'll be doing all the music for the project.

The fist is something I was playing around with. It'll probably change for the final version.