Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

pinky demon in doom movie trailer

I was looking at the extended trailer on yahoo with quicktime, pausing and using the slider to try to get as good a look at some of the monsters as possible, when I noticed something odd about the pinky. it has wheels instead of rear legs! maybe I'm just seeing things, but I'm pretty sure those were wheels. take a look. I'm not crazy about that concept, but maybe I'm just nitpicking.

Wasn´t there that stupid story bit of the movie saying that Pinky was the name of a guy in a high-tech wheelchair? So your observation is probably right.

i saw that trailer, and i think they were wheels. well, some demons from doom were "cyborgs", so i guess it's ok. anyways i dont have my hopes high for this movie. as a matter of fact, i think it will stink big time. there's just something about making movies of videogames that seems incredibly hard.

Tetzlaff said:

Wasn´t there that stupid story bit of the movie saying that Pinky was the name of a guy in a high-tech wheelchair? So your observation is probably right.

D'oh, this sounds like the Street Fighter movie where Blanka was a marine who got mutated.

Why can't monsters just be monsters?

Great.. they better not make the wheelchair dude turn into the pinky during the movie, thats just lame imo.

If this is true (the stupid guy mutated), then I return to my pesimist expectatives for this movie.

Movies based on other media items always have shit changed, deal with it.

That's all fine, I just hope theres gonna be more demons in the movie besides those mentioned. The rev or lost souls(doom3) in particular.

Trilinear said:

D'oh, this sounds like the Street Fighter movie where Blanka was a marine who got mutated.

Why can't monsters just be monsters?

heh, I was just thinking of the carlos "charlie" blanka debacle in the awful street fighter movie. too bad that was raoul julia's last film.

I actually hadn't heard about the wheelchair bound "pinky" character. that idea took the movie down a notch for me.

macubus II is right in his statement that movies based on other media get things changed. some movies like the shining, or HP prisoner of azkaban benefitted from changes in the source, but sometimes those changes kill what could be a good movie.

look at saharah. the movie was turned in to a pseudo-slapstick buddy movie without the authors input. he tried to sue the studio out of the right to make his other novels in to movies, but saharah did so bad I doubt there will be a sequel.

stephen king hated the way lawnmower man was adapted so much he had his name removed from the film. when it was released on vhs for the first time his name was already printed on the packaging and the studio had to send out labels of revised credits to cover them up. he also hated the aforementioned shining, which he had little say in, and produced his own made for tv version.

three more words. super mario bros. where the hell did they get that from? I think video games get it the worst when going to the movies. alone in the dark? street fighter? HOTD? RE? all screwed up, IMHO.

I thought the first mortal kombat was good, and I actually liked resident evil, but then again I'm not a fan of the game so...

baronofhell said:

I thought the first mortal kombat was good, and I actually liked resident evil, but then again I'm not a fan of the game so...

was never crazy about the MK movie. the fighting was too power ranger-ish for me. in the first RE, the only thing I really liked was the opening massacre. especially the elevator part, but maybe thats because it plays on my own elevator fears. RE2 movie was way better IMO. I just hated the end.

I think that one of the biggest problems with video game to movie conversions is that the studios tend to patronize the fans by making the movies fast paced brain drains with little or no plot, because everyone knows that gamers have little or no attention spans, or at least thats the general assumption.

VileSlay said:
fast paced brain drains with little or no plot,

Sounds good for DOOM...

Tetzlaff said:

rofl, the pinky is a handycap.

Yeah, I think the pinky demon with wheels is kinda lame, but other than that the demons look pretty damn freaky. I hope the imps throw fireballs and the baron throws plasma!!!

The best thing about that shot of the Pinky demon in that god-awful trailer is the fact that, uh... it looks like a fuckin NexGen game render or something. I could make a more realistic looking Pinky in a matter of days, and you're telling me they couldnt do a better job for a feature film? Shit, even Resident Evil had better effects than that. Course, this is more of a "Resident Evil 3" film than anything else, so maybe i shouldnt be complaining.

Prime said:

I could make a more realistic looking Pinky in a matter of days.

You are now obligated to do so. It doesn't count if there's no photo evidence!

Prime said:

it looks like a fuckin NexGen game render or something.

at least from what I know about movie trailers, and from what I heard about this one, those aren't 100% finished effects. at least I'm hoping they aren't. who knows, they may not even use that shot in the final release. they do that sometimes, putting stuff in trailers that may have looked or sounded good at the time only to decide that it needs to be trimmed out for whatever reason. like in the ring trailer when samara tells the doc "everyone will suffer". it never made it into the final cut of the movie, I don't know why though. everyone I know waited for that line. geh, I hope it comes out better.

So, it's obvious that there is only ONE pinky demon in the movie, since in this case it is confirmed to be a mutated human. It was also mentioned that depending on the sucess of the movie, a sequel could be in the works.

Hopefully the effects do get improved by the movies release.
However seeing trailers via small windows never look that good compared to the real movie, so they might be better than what we're seeing right now.

VileSlay said:

at least from what I know about movie trailers, and from what I heard about this one, those aren't 100% finished effects. at least I'm hoping they aren't. who knows, they may not even use that shot in the final release.

That's funny, I thought that was one of the more impressive visual fx shots, I must be behind, the movement looked so natural to me, like a standoff with an angry dog.

I took some pictures from that trailer.

I can't say I was impressed. It looked like just an average action movie. And what is that stuff about the last 10% of the Human genome being discovered? So the monsters are mutants and not Hell beast?!
That would suck.

In the Photo section of the official site one subscript reads:
"The Kid (Al Weaver) emerges from the Ark into the Wormhole Chamber of Olduvai and promptly pukes in front of the rest of the squad."

Why would there be a wormhole if the movie is about mutants?

Watch the worm hole be used to gather demon DNA, and, of course, the crazy UAC spliced it with the humans (they lied about the 10% genome found?) to create some sort of bio demon weapon. :0

m0l0t0v said:

I took some pictures from that trailer.

I can't say I was impressed. It looked like just an average action movie. And what is that stuff about the last 10% of the Human genome being discovered? So the monsters are mutants and not Hell beast?!
That would suck.

In the Photo section of the official site one subscript reads:
"The Kid (Al Weaver) emerges from the Ark into the Wormhole Chamber of Olduvai and promptly pukes in front of the rest of the squad."

Why would there be a wormhole if the movie is about mutants?

Jesus christ,Is it just me or do all those movie shots look like they were ripped straight from the 80s?

If you told me this was the hit DooM movie from 1984,I'd probably beleive you.

baronofhell said:

So, it's obvious that there is only ONE pinky demon in the movie, since in this case it is confirmed to be a mutated human. It was also mentioned that depending on the sucess of the movie, a sequel could be in the works.

Errr....the pinky has wheels so that confirms a crappy rumour? I must out of date in thinking that isn't the case.

Well, for one, earlier this year a character was mentioned named pinky. He was a HUMAN in a WHEELCHAIR. Hmmm....Hope ya read the other posts.

Isn't there a character called Dexter Fletcher who's on a wheelchair? Some rumormonger must have mixed this character and the wheeled monster up at some point (be it on purpose or not.)

Maybe the guy in the wheelchair gets mutated into a monster so both stories are correct?! Then again a monster in a wheelchair somehow doesn't sound all that scary :-P

I think the problem is that we are complaining about corny monsters in the movie version of a game that has skeletons with sholder-mounted homing missile launchers.

Trasher][ said:
I think the problem is that we are complaining about corny monsters in the movie version of a game that has skeletons with sholder-mounted homing missile launchers.

What's so bad about Revenants?
At least they're agile, dexterous and fit for battle rather than being crippled and impaired.
Revenants and Mancubii are a major contribution to DOOM's originality and uniqueness, IMO.
Handicaps? They're not original, they're clearly overused in many works of fiction.