Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

Indie = Mainstream it seems

I was thinking about indy movies, and I realized almost all indy films are liked by people who want to look cool, making them mainstream. For example Pulp Fiction is a hugely popular movie, but how many people enjoy it only because its cool to like it? One year everyone seemed to suddenly like Pulp Fiction at my school. Or Napolean Dynamite. All the popular kids love that movie, but how can they relate? They are nothing like Napolean, they just think its hip. I'd like to see how they'd feel if they were in Napolean's position, an awkard unpopular kid who cant even ask a girl to a dance in a good way. Those kinds of movies were made for people who could relate, not the people who just enjoy the chic value. Its like people who try to act like they are from the ghetto, but really have no idea what its actually like.

Well, the name is Napoleon, and I'm not sure I would call Pulp Fiction an independent production.

Actualy, Pulp Fiction was an independant movie. It just happened to make a ton of money and win several awards.

I thought this thread was going to be about all the so-called Indy bands that are dominating the top 40 in the charts. But no, it's just wacky making another stupid rant.

Scuba Steve said:

I honestly thought his post was about Indiana Jones films. I had thought everyone loved those.

You know, they're thinking about making Indiana Jones 4, although it's just been announced and Goerge Lucas wants a diffrent script. I dont know if it's going anywhere, but I hope they make it.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0367882/

insertwackynamehere said:

I'd like to see how they'd feel if they were in Napolean's position, an awkard unpopular kid who cant even ask a girl to a dance in a good way.

What's weird is when I watched that film I found myself relating to Napoleon, although it was a bit more extreme for him...however, I thought the movie was mediocre at best.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

What's weird is when I watched that film I found myself relating to Napoleon, although it was a bit more extreme for him...however, I thought the movie was mediocre at best.

same here, but I'm talking about kids who cant relate, thats what makes me mad.

I was thinking about indy movies, and I realized almost all indy films are liked by people who want to look cool, making them mainstream. For example Pulp Fiction is a hugely popular movie, but how many people enjoy it only because its cool to like it? One year everyone seemed to suddenly like Pulp Fiction at my school. Or Napolean Dynamite. All the popular kids love that movie, but how can they relate? They are nothing like Napolean, they just think its hip. I'd like to see how they'd feel if they were in Napolean's position, an awkard unpopular kid who cant even ask a girl to a dance in a good way. Those kinds of movies were made for people who could relate, not the people who just enjoy the chic value. Its like people who try to act like they are from the ghetto, but really have no idea what its actually like.

Are you saying that in order to enjoy a film you have to be in the situation depicted in the film and relate to it?

OK, before I watch Star Wars again I guess I'll have to lose my foster parents to the evil empire, discover Jedi-like powers and make out with my non-existant sister.

Way to go, dumbass.

I don't know, some movies are so awesome that they're hard not to like. Pulp Fiction is one of them in my opinion.

zarkyb said:

Are you saying that in order to enjoy a film you have to be in the situation depicted in the film and relate to it?

OK, before I watch Star Wars again I guess I'll have to lose my foster parents to the evil empire, discover Jedi-like powers and make out with my non-existant sister.

Way to go, dumbass.

no but they dont enjoy it they just think its cool. also they are the kind of kids who would make sure Napolean was always considered a loser if he was real and went to school with them. So in otherwords they idolize a movie, but if it was real life they'd be making Napolean's life horrible.

For example Pulp Fiction is a hugely popular movie, but how many people enjoy it only because its cool to like it?

well, i dont care what others think of it but i genuinely loved pulp fiction.

Pulp Fiction is an awesome film. There's no need to relate. How can you yourself relate? Did you ever shoot people and talk about the Big Macs in France, French Fries swimming in mayonaise, and talk about the hash bars in Holland?

You don't have to parallel your life to something to get enjoyment out of it. These people you speak of enjoy the face value and care not about the depth.

Shallow perhaps, and maybe you also dislike their sheep mentality. It's school, it's a part of your life that's really irrelevant, aside from what you truly learn and take into the world with you.

Do like Pulp Fiction? Do you appreciate it as this wonderful example of the art form of film? Does it bother you that these "Sheeple" like it because it's a part of the cool people social status to see this movie and not because of the fact that it's fucking awesome?

It's a wonderful film and I'd reccomend it to anyone, and if that's somehow trendy then so be it. It's sort of like these people that are protective of their music, and suddenly everybody listens to it and now they go on about how it's crappy/sellout/IHateTheseFagsForRuiningMYSpecialMusic.

Remember these so called cool kids much like you, shall leave the bullshit that is school and you won't need to rant on about them ever again.

I haven't seen Napolean dynamite but
keep in mind that movies, will always be
about money. First and foremost. The occaisional low budget suprise it-was-all-about-the-art-form-film can
explode into a huge gross money maker.

Or Follow the fate of most of these films and end up sitting in a cat's litterbox. The reason some indie films succeed is because most of them end up breaking the model cookie cutter bullshit that is Hollywood.

Film is fucking art and it's about what can it invoke in the viewer.

There's no need to relate to enjoy. Alot
of times you can say to yourself "I'm
glad I'm not that fucker." In relation to a character, or alternatively you could think, "wow I wish I was the dude boning that bitch!"

Again you have your own perception and pity for the character, on a totally
different level. People relate to movies
on so many diffrent levels, your not wrong and neither are these shallow popular kids that won't let you be cool with them.

EDIT: Windoze fucked up my post

I was thinking about indy movies, and I realized almost all indy films are liked by people who want to look cool, making them mainstream.

Liking stuff that isn't mainstream gives you the idea that you're an individual.

Then again liking stuff only a 'small' groups likes gives you a sense of comradeship and a sense of 'us against them'. The paradox thus is you have to be different to belong to a group. Different here meaning different from mainstream but you'll be different in exactly the same way as the rest of your 'subculture'.

but how can they relate?

The thing about movies is that they can take you to a different world. The value of a movie can be expressed in other terms than you level of which you can relate to the story. For instance you can like a movie because of the clever way the story is presented, special effects, number of cops getting killed etc.

oh dear.

Pulp Fiction is a Good Film. Does everyone that sees it wanna be a ganster? No. In fact, I think you'll find that the main character does not want to be a ganster by the end of the film either.

Can people relate to blowing away four people before breakfast? No. Can they relate to cleaning up someone else's mess, be it itty bitty pieces of brains and skull or half digested / chewed prawn and long island sauce after a hard night's partying? Yes, they can.

Is the dialogue witty, is does it travel down unexpected avenues, does it make you laugh? Yes, it does. At least for me, and anyone else with a sense of humour that appreciates the darker moments in life.

All indie means in the true sense of the word is 'independantly financed'. The director is in total control of his budget, no holywood interferance. Of course not all indie films are gonna be good, it depends entirely on the skills of the director, the strength of his script, his time management skills and his actors. I'm fed up of retards refering to indie as some sort of genre, like every indie film has to somehow be cool and counter-culture. Go back ten years, check out some 'indie' films from 1980, come back and tell me what you've learned. I suggest starting with 'Withnail & I'.

people like "indie" films because it makes them feel like they are some sort of sub-counter-culture which they arent.

But if groups of people watch these movies then they are a sub-culture. I think what you meant to say was 'individual' and even then whatever people wear or like they all have different ways of thinking and general idiosyncrasies. I think what we need is an actual name for people who do things to be part of a group so we can insult them. Wait a second....Humans! Yea; I've never met one that hasn't set aside their tastes to fit in better.

Wankers! :P