Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Graf Zahl

GZDoom = ZDoom + OpenGL + 3D floors

Get it here.

What is it?

It's a ZDoom based OpenGL port which also features 3D floors. This is based on the latest unofficial 2.0.96x build dated 8.8.2005 and as such has also full support for custom inventory items and weapons.

Sounds great. I'll check it out later (playing WoW, obviously). Is the OpenGL part written from scratch or based off Timmie's code?

boris said:

Is the OpenGL part written from scratch or based off Timmie's code?

It grew out of PrBoom's renderer although there are only minor traces left of that. I'd say 99% is new although I took some code from ZDoomGL but not much.

The only reason I can imagine is that it loads an incorrect ZDoom.wad. Can you post the console startup log? That might help find the cause.

That's because you are probably loading an incorrect linedef translation table. That's why I'd like to see the console log. It could at least tell me whether you are loading the correct zdoom.wad or something that is not supposed to be loaded.

Both Nimrod's and HTH's 3D floors work for me.

Ok, well, First. How do I save the log in zdoom? There's no automatic dump like in Legacy.

Second: Unless you released it with the wrong wad, then I am using the correct one. I've said this before, I'm running it from it's own directory.

kristus said:

Ok, well, First. How do I save the log in zdoom? There's no automatic dump like in Legacy.

Add '+logfile log' on the command line and it will save the output in the file 'log'

Second: Unless you released it with the wrong wad, then I am using the correct one. I've said this before, I'm running it from it's own directory.

I checked it 3 times already and decompiled the translation lump twice and started both Nimrod and HTH from totally different directories in which I copied the zip's contents and all checked out ok. If the file was incorrect I should have found something, shouldn't I?

Ok, I must apologize. I've been so stupid. I made an desktop icon to run it and since I am such a lazy git I took one that aimed for zdoom and copied it. Then just changed the info in it. I however forgot to change the directory in which it ran the prog. so it was still running it from the zdoom directory. It works now though.

So, sorry for being a pain in the ass.

BTW, Graf, you plan to add the sector color system to GZdoom aswell? I jumped into the nuke and the screen turned blue.

Fredrik said:

It doesn't support texture alignment?

From what I can see it supports unpegging of the textures. Legacy has this aswell, but only in Software. I don't think I ever managed to get Hurdler to understand what I was meaning when I asked him to add this to the hardware mode.

kristus said:
Ok, I must apologize. I've been so stupid. I made an desktop icon to run it and since I am such a lazy git I took one that aimed for zdoom and copied it. Then just changed the info in it. I however forgot to change the directory in which it ran the prog. so it was still running it from the zdoom directory. It works now though.

So, sorry for being a pain in the ass.

Quite what I expected! ;)

BTW, Graf, you plan to add the sector color system to GZdoom aswell? I jumped into the nuke and the screen turned blue.

It was working. No idea what broke it in the mean time. Maybe some restructuring of the color parsing code which was necessary to make it fit into ZDoom. Expect it to be correct in the next version.

From what I can see it supports unpegging of the textures. Legacy has this aswell, but only in Software. I don't think I ever managed to get Hurdler to understand what I was meaning when I asked him to add this to the hardware mode.

Texture alignment is implemented. It adds the offsets of the transfer linedef and the linedef where it is copied to. When I wrote that code I used the windows at the start of Nimrod's MAP05 as a guideline.

This is really cool. I have a problem though. When I try to switch to OpenGL mode through the menu my screen blanks, then it shows my desktop for a couple of seconds, then it blanks again and GZDoom is back up in software mode.

Thats one thing I really appreciate about GZDoom is the ability to have moving 3d floors without having to script in collision detection.

I've got a few legacy wads of mine that are loaded with 3d floors, GZDoom handles them without a problem.

Which brings to mind, how much of FS are you going to incorporate into GZDoom? I imagine only a basic set, with ACS doing the rest (although there are some nice legacy functions (although not in the current release) I wouldn't mind seeing in your port).

I tried what Blackfish did but it didn't work.

Here is my log:

Log started: Wed Sep 07 12:32:57 2005

adding zdoom.wad (140 lumps)
adding ./doom2.wad (2919 lumps)
CPU Speed: 1794.192370 MHz
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz 4 CPU 1.80GHz
Family 15, Model 1, Stepping 2
Features: MMX SSE SSE2
I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
Setting DirectSound output succeeded
Setting driver 0 succeeded
Initialization succeeded
ZGL: Couldn't choose pixel format.
ZGL: Reverting to software mode...
Resolution: 800 x 600
ZGL: This won't take effect until ZDoomGL is restarted.
Init DOOM refresh subsystem.
2659 textures created
Init miscellaneous info.
Init Playloop state.
Setting up sound.
S_Init
Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
ZGL: Couldn't choose pixel format.
ZGL: Reverting to software mode...
Switching to software renderer...
Switching to OpenGL renderer...