Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hobbs

The /newstuff Chronicles #249

Greetings fellow Doomers. HobbsTiger1 here to give you what has to be the worst week in /newstuff history. Really, it just plain sucks. Not only do you have a new reviewer (who sucks) but you have the lowest number of WADs that can be put into one of these things and it actually occur. To find out what little more there is, read on.

(Bloodshedder's note: There's a couple of reasons why this /newstuff is so darn small. The first is that Ty Halderman lives (or used to, rather) in New Orleans, but he had to evacuate way back on August 28th due to hurricane Katrina. Second, the entire reason we have this /newstuff is that pritch forgot to review this WAD last week. Hopefully next week there will be more.)

• tectonic - Christopher Burgess
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 171 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    This wad is sort of a mixed bag. The layout of the map is nice, though sometimes going back and forth from place to place was a bit annoying, and the lack of monsters didn't help. The monsters in general were far too easy, there weren't nearly enough, and they weren't varied enough. Even on UV the map was a cakewalk. Weapon and ammo placement was a bit bettter, but still were not placed in the most optimal spots in the map, giving you new weapons too quicky after you just got one. This map shines most in its use of detail and textures. Athough it wasn't used well everywhere, the detail was prety nice, and made the map a lot more tolerable than it would have been without the fairly good eye candy. Texture choice wasn't bad either, though it needed changes and realignments in some spots. My biggest problem with the textures was the opening area was overly brown. All in all its a nice map, fun for a quick go, but thats about it because the map is too short. However, if quick runs are your thing, and you admire detail, grab it.

You can't download wads from the incoming folder. You can from the /newstuff and the rest of the folders though.

The reason incoming's zips haven't been moved into the rest of the site at all this week is because Ty does that manually, and Ty's house is probably underwater.

gah poor ty :( id hate to loose my house in something like that. lets hope he gets back on his feet soon

I DID NOT FORGET IT _WAS_ _NOT_ _THERE_ _ON_ _FRIDAY_

/me stabbity stabs

I really hope Ty isn't too fucked :\

Epyo said:

You can't download wads from the incoming folder. You can from the /newstuff and the rest of the folders though.

The reason incoming's zips haven't been moved into the rest of the site at all this week is because Ty does that manually, and Ty's house is probably underwater.

Ah ok. I didn't know he was the only one who could do it.

My prayers go out to Ty.

I wonder if Christopher Burgess ever thought he might be wad of the week?

Must be, since it is the only one.

Xtife said:

id hate to loose my house in something like that.

As opposed to someone who would love it?

Searcher said:
I wonder if Christopher Burgess ever thought he might be wad of the week?

Ask Grazza... they could be relatives!

Oh shit, that's evil. I hope he's alright and he could at least save his PC from the destruction. I'm not familiar with NewOrleans landscape but I saw a few houses that had not been touched by the water in internet magazine photos.

Grazza said:

It would be nice just to know that he is OK.

Ty's safety is more important than /nsc

Bastet Furry said:
Besides that, who else thinks that your (the US) goverment was a whee bit too slow? [/B]

...everyone? :P

Like everyone else, I hope ty is okay.

Besides that, who else thinks that your (the US) goverment was a whee bit too slow?

dont get me started :)
just liek 9/11

Well, I've transplanted myself (to Houston, TX) for a while. The company I work for has offices here too and so starting Tuesday I'll be able to get to work. The wireless connectivity in the hotel isn't working right, so I'm just getting about 30 minutes every 2 days in a shared computer room, and can't hook up my own system, which I do have with me. That and a bunch of loose hard drives from other machines...

Anyway, we made it out (we live(d?) 2 blocks from the Convention Center where they show all the refugees (the long building, not the Superdome=round building). We actually didn't get water in our building but had no power. Also, we needed a BFG for the looters. Really. We left as a group/convoy with guns drawn by those who had them. Scary, though not as scary as hearing the Cyberdemon for the first time :)

I have to use my own computer to do newstuff stuff, so it'll probably be next weekend. I think I'll divert the 1994 wads for the time being when I do it, to avoid confusing the issue for next TNC.

Seeya. Wouldn't want to be... me.

Ty Halderman said:

Also, we needed a BFG for the looters. Really. We left as a group/convoy with guns drawn by those who had them. Scary, though not as scary as hearing the Cyberdemon for the first time :)

the words of a true doomer

Nice to know Ty is OK (and that he still basically has a job). It's also good to hear that someone who lives (lived) in New Orleans thinks the looters were a problem.

Ty Halderman said:

Confirmation of continued existance

This (plus the lack of '94 wads :P) has made this a very good newstuff indeed.

good that ty is okay, or anybody that lived through that catastrophe for that matter.

what is the difference between the incoming folder and newstuff?