Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ShotgunGuy878

Doom 2

Honestly if I had a choice on what doom game was better DoomII or Doom 3 I would Pick Doom 2. I mean Doom 3 is fun but Doom 2 is more of a Challenge, Doom 3 has more of the eye candy but it doesnt really let you go back and look around, well it does but Doom 3 isn't as fun as Doom 2

It probably cost them heavily in reviews, but ID never made a better decision than making Doom2 pretty much the same game as Doom, but with extra monsters. I wish I could go back in time and smack all those people who say Doom2 is sub-par because of this.

Yeah, agreed. I was hoping the hell levels in doom3 were gonna be a lot more colorful and bright. You know, lava falls and...basically a lot of bright lava and flames. That would've been cool. I think that really would've gave the game a twist, instead of darkness all the damn time.

Vile1011 said:

It probably cost them heavily in reviews, but ID never made a better decision than making Doom2 pretty much the same game as Doom, but with extra monsters. I wish I could go back in time and smack all those people who say Doom2 is sub-par because of this.

no, doom2 is sub-par because the level design is a crock of shit.

Also I still pine for the episode format.

Well, it's really an eternal subject...

mallis said:
the level design is a crock of shit.

I'd say the level design is about the same as DOOM's, minus a bit of consistency and plus some additional challenge. I also do prefer shorter map sets, though DOOM II can be played in three episodes without much loss.

mallis said:

no, doom2 is sub-par because the level design is a crock of shit.

Also I still pine for the episode format.

I completely agree, I'm a big fan of episodes too.

Doom 3 would have made a better sequal to Doom than Doom 2 did. I mean, Doom 2 looks as though it was slapped together in about 2 months. The level design is dreadful (with the exception of a COUPLE of maps), and most of the music is god awful (also with the exception of one or two songs). Doom 2 is good for map editing, thanks to the new monsters and weapon, but that's about it.

Actually, there are plenty of good maps in Doom 2. Its a popular belief that the maps in Doom 2 were sub-par - and while I can agree with some of the sandy peterson maps; on a whole they were pretty good I think.

Doom II isn't all bad, but considered as a whole it's worse than the original Doom. On the plus side the Mancubus, Arch Vile, Former Human Commando and the Combat Shotgun were all excellent additions, along with the new music.

It's the random, themeless level design and tedious "one big episode" style that lets it down. As well as some crappy non-scary enemies (Revenant, Pain Elemental, Arachnotron etc.).

Dittohead said:
Actually, there are plenty of good maps in Doom 2. Its a popular belief that the maps in Doom 2 were sub-par - and while I can agree with some of the sandy peterson maps; on a whole they were pretty good I think.

Yeah, I pretty much agree on that score.

DOOM maps > DOOM II maps = myth.

Doom II is in some ways a quite a bit different from Doom I, in my opinion atleast. Doom1 had the perfect pacing, level structure, design, look and feel that made it what it is. If you notice, Doom 1 is dramaticlly slower in gameplay compared to Doom II, which is more of a balls-to-the-walls gun fight against crazy odds each level.

Personally, I'd say Doom I is the best -- no doubt -- but Doom II is still a great game.

DooM ][ beats DooM 3 easily. The original was still the best (too bad my IWAD got corrupted somehow).