Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rancid-Radio

a cursed site?

my computer has real problems. it crashes and freezes more times then you can imagine. just to give you an idea, i had to restart my computer 27 times before i could get into my email. i've abandond playing games on this thing because it allways freezes while playing. anyway, whenever i come to doomworld the problems get worse. way worse. it took me a half hour just to post something once. maybe its someting about this site that my computer doesnt like.

Well, what OS and Browser are you using and what are your computer specs?

first things first. Run scandisk fully, make sure your file allocation tables are healthy. If they're fine it could be a gazillion things....
I wouldn't have the patience to restart mine that many times, I'd have beaten the shit out of it after 5 maybe. Mine knows what'll happend to it though, behaves itself :)

/me raises menancing fist at desktop, just in case...

I don't have any problems at DW. DW owns. period.

amd-k6-2 450 megahertz voodoo3 windows 98se

reformatting caused problem so i dont think that re-installing will do much good seing as how thats what caused the problem

its not the computer that freezes its the mouse and keyboard. if i am downloading something then my mouse and keyboard will freez but the thing will still download.

i swear the thing has a mind of its own. every time it froze trying to get on my email that one time it froze only when i got to the email site. it has never once froze while i was in the middle of typing a post. not once. it allways waits untill i get done typing it. its stuff like that, it allways freezes at the most inconveinent time. its no coincidence cuz it happens 100% of the time.

EDIT:i explained things a little better

mine does that as well, mouse and keyboard stop running, hey, you're running 98 like me, well, wtf else would you expect? 98 sucks, it REALLY sucks, I'm desperate for XP next year...

BURN IT. BURN IT ALL

he's right, y'know.

btw, I think the problem is related to Systray on 98, which manages open progs and tasks. This is just asuspicion though, as when I had rip-off, shitty Norton on mine (which crashed more times than it saved crahses) it said systray had crashed when that happened (or it did nothing, worthless pos)

windows 98se

Well there's your problem, you've probably had 98 installed for more than 2 months without reformatting.

98 sucks, it REALLY sucks

See? Even he knows.

god... wtf lut! exactly what do you recommend as a good os? and you are not allowed to say windows 95. =]

Well, it was the last DECENT OS Microsoft made. Win95b is GREAT by Microsoft standards, not that I don't have my gripes with it but it's sure as fuck multiple times better than 98/98se/ME and way more useful for games and such than WinNT or Win2K. XP... well just look at it's interface. I'm sure it's decent if you can give it all that processing power but for people with an average or low-end system it would be a joke.

better than 98/98se/ME and way more useful for games and such than WinNT or Win2K. XP... well just look at it's interface. I'm sure it's decent if you can give it all that processing power but for people with an average or low-end system it would be a joke.

Mmhh, I never tried the 95, I didn't own a computer at this time.
I started with the 98/98Se, I've tried ME C-R-A-P
Surely the worst Microsoft thing on earth...
Now, I'm running Win2k sp2 and I'm pretty pleased with games and other stuffs.
They run without problems (some games run with patches update most of the time).
I've tried XP a little bit and I found it interesting.
But the price is awful...

reformatting caused problem...

It seems to be the best way to clean up your hard drive anyway.
Then reinstall 98SE with updates if you can (they are udge and it takes many time to download them... Good luck)
Or extrem solution: buy XP...

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm pretty much a newbie in Windows...

I liked Windows 2000 for the short time I had it. I really do need to get either windows 2000 or win xp pro.

I liked Windows 2000 for the short time I had it.

Yeah, I wasn't saying it sucked, I had used it a few times at work and it was pretty nice, but I and a lot of other people here wouldn't be able to use it because of it's lack of DOS support. Otherwise I'd have higher recommendations for it.

windows 98se

DELETE SMASH KILL EVIL FORMAT DESTROY BAD REMOVE CRUEL ANNIHILATE MURDER DELETE SMASH KILL EVIL FORMAT DESTROY BAD REMOVE CRUEL ANNIHILATE MURDER DELETE SMASH KILL EVIL FORMAT DESTROY BAD REMOVE CRUEL ANNIHILATE MURDER DELETE SMASH KILL EVIL FORMAT DESTROY BAD REMOVE CRUEL ANNIHILATE MURDER DELETE SMASH KILL EVIL FORMAT DESTROY BAD REMOVE CRUEL ANNIHILATE MURDER DELETE SMASH KILL EVIL FORMAT DESTROY BAD REMOVE CRUEL ANNIHILATE MURDER DELETE SMASH KILL EVIL FORMAT DESTROY BAD REMOVE CRUEL ANNIHILATE MURDER DELETE SMASH KILL EVIL FORMAT DESTROY BAD REMOVE CRUEL ANNIHILATE MURDER DELETE SMASH KILL EVIL FORMAT DESTROY BAD REMOVE CRUEL ANNIHILATE MURDER

98 sucks, it REALLY sucks

See? Even he knows.

What do you mean by that? Are you implying that I know nothing?
I TELL YOU SIR I KNOW DAMN ALL! :>

Though I don't have any REAL problems with my 'puter on *ahem!* 98SE, it doesn't want to work right sometimes. Defragging it usually cleans up most things for me, but lately I've had a lot of things bugging me. I might reformat my HD soon, after I transfer all my irreplaceable stuff to some ZIP disks.

well like i said in my post that i had to make it short and sweet cuz i was sick of typing the huge thing over and over. what i was originally gonna say was that i have had windows 95 ever since i got my first computer 4 years ago. i loved it so much but when i reformated my computer a couple months ago like i said everyone in my family said to use windows 98 but i said "no, windows 95" and they are all like "win98 is the exact same thing only better" but nobody listens to me. i hate my family so much

My solution(s): Grab a sledgehammer, and smash your computer into tiny small pieces. Then, throw everything outside. Start a huge bonfire and incinerate the remains of your computer
OR
it could be that it's time to reformat.
Or you may try getting a completely new comp instead.

I have had 98 for a long time now and have had no significant problems.

Same here.

Same here.

About as long as you've had recursive amnesia, strangely enough... ;)

Same here.

About as long as you've had recursive amnesia, strangely enough... ;)

Damn right.

Windows 98 is the worst Microsoft OS, definitely. 95, 2000, 3.11, XP etc are all better. Windows 98 is just 95 but with horrible "web integration" and more bugs.

Windows 98 is the worst Microsoft OS, definitely. 95, 2000, 3.11, XP etc are all better. Windows 98 is just 95 but with horrible "web integration" and more bugs.

You're right, since WinME isn't even an OS ;)

Sounds like your reformat/reinstall may have put the mouse and keyboard on the same ports and they are fighting each other. Check it in device manager-- under control panel and then system. If they are not in conflict, try scandisk, then defrag, then download and use a registry checker which may help. If all this fails-- reinstall win 95/98 and hope that it fixes the problem when it is finished.
Good luck.