Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Macro11_1

The Game Industry

http://www.costik.com/presentations/Death%20to%20the%20Games%20Industry.ppt

I dont know, I was brousing the web the other day, and I stumbled upon this. Interesting read, I personaly say its true. Oh well... What do you guys think?

Found it here first, http://www.celestialheavens.com/index.php
Sample quote:

The machinery of gaming has run amock... an industry that was once the most innovative and exciting artistic field on the planet has become a morass of drudgery and imitation... It is time for a revolution!

The problem is that video games have gone the way of TV, movies, music, and everything else mainstream.

A good start would be burning EA.

Otherwise, just stick with stuff you can't find in stores.

Gokuma said:

The problem is that video games have gone the way of TV, movies, music, and everything else mainstream.

But Do0d! waht about HALO?!

MY goal is to make games independently, once I have learned the skills. We all should buy games like that, read the article, makes a lot of good points, I'm leery of the industry for that reason.

The PPT is basically completely right. However, I think that the death of moore's law would have the best chance of reviving the game industry. There isn't going to be any civil unrest or regime change, because after all, sales are higher than ever.

That PPT isn't very right at all; the issue is that any industry at its fullblown capacity is a spamware machine. The shareware revolution already happened, and it stopped, giving birth to online interactivity. Also, online communities do, to a degree, play the role of indie film and music.

In the PPT funding isn't dealt with properly because it avoids what produces concentrated capital, and pretends a diversity replacing what can only be in the foreground through concentration (of capital and promotion.)

Also, and relatedly, some nerd that doesn't understand that not everyone is online 50% of the time seems to have written it. And he sounds like an industry representative already, albeit with nothing in his hands.

This might sound silly, but we have loads of artists, writters, mappers, we have people who know how to code and we generally have the same attitude towards modern games. Why not make our own?

Numbermind:(long story)

*Gets comfortable* Okay, fire away.

Fredrik said:

Because we have no good project leaders.

It could also be the fault of the developers who say they'll donate their time, then come up with absolutely 0% when the leaders ask for a sample. Then, the leaders find someone else. Repeat process.

EXACTLY

leadership is an art, most people don't make good leaders, but anyone can learn it...not by picking up management for dummies either.

Isint there something like that allready going on? Its just sorta based on the game that we all love... FreeDoom? I mean, If we wanted to, couldent we make an origional game by modding that Engine?? Just some thoughts...

we'd probably have to do a better job than that, the guy who made hacx tried something like this if you read his story, but he had lots of talent behind him, he was also pushing to get it published by GT, an industry giant and was plagued by one problem after another.

If your gonna do something like this you can't have a narrow vision, you have have to put your guts into it and then some. It's like the guy who couldn't get anyone to publish his book so he had his friend sell it in his car wash. And they had to keep updating their game with minimal staff compared to a large pro developer, so they were always playing catch up. I say let the engine be outdated and focus on gameplay because to do otherwise is nearly impossible, and get creative in marketing it like on the internet, but not just that, there is other things you can do, give it to all your friends, etc. I don't have the talent to help with something like that yet.

Gokuma said:

The companies and developers aren't the problem, it's the gamers themselves who're becoming too hard to satisfy and always expecting the next game to be the breaking game of the century and to open doors for never seen technology. No one just does anything to be entertained anymore, they have to look for something to complain about rather than just let it go and enjoy their entertainment.

Nah, you're probably dead wrong.

The difference is... dunn dun nah nahh...

The "gamer" demograph is no longer us! Video games no longer cater to the people it once did, which is why the crappy games popuar now are... they just have to appeal to the masses which are the gaming community. We may be jaded... but that's because we're no longer the target audience. Yes, games suck now because crativity is gone because the masses WANT shitty copycats and mediocre games, most people don't know any better. The industry is simply giving people what they want and in turn is reaping higher profits every year.

Xenphire said:

The companies and developers aren't the problem, it's the gamers themselves who're becoming too hard to satisfy and always expecting the next game to be the breaking game of the century and to open doors for never seen technology. No one just does anything to be entertained anymore, they have to look for something to complain about rather than just let it go and enjoy their entertainment.

I agree, that's exactly I feel about the gaming industry. All I expect from videogames is for them to be fun. I don't understand why people are like that with them.

Scuba Steve said:
The "gamer" demograph is no longer us!

I plead guilty! I'm not really interested in buying games, even. Perhaps trying them a bit if the opportunity arises.

Anyway, last I heard people do play games to have fun. Nonetheless given the speed at which games come and go, and the amount of games on the market, it is not surprising the way things are organized. And this is sort of in contradiction to the way online communities work, where if they manage to come to be, they'll stick to games for long periods (bordering on "unhealthy long" in respect to the hardware base... although that's assauged with ports and emulators.)

They made Uru. And they were also behind Myst 3, Myst 4 and now last and upcoming Myst 5. However they didn't actually make them. Don't quite recall what their project after Uru was.

EDIT: Oh and "RealMyst" Which was Myst1 in realtime 3d, just like Uru.

EDIT2: They haven't actually gone bankrupt just yet, although it's likely they are going to. Here's from bluesnews:
"Uru Obsession reports that The Grey Dragon's Blog has word that almost the entire staff at Cyan has been laid off, saying the company has been on the rocks for a while now, and that efforts to solve their financial woes to avert such a move were unsuccessful. According to the post on U.O., the Myst developer's failure to secure funding has left them with two employees, Rand Miller and Tony Fryman, and while there's a chance that they may still find backing to carry on with future projects, that is considered unlikely."

Cyan...Bankrupt?

Damn, man. :(

Damn shame, it is.

WHat I find tragic is that even respectable Nintendo is contributing to the problem and screwing people over.

Sheesh.

I suspect the state of the industry is somehow tied to Hollywood's lack of major Blockbuster hits. Where's the creativity?

There are still good games being released today. They're just increasingly hard to find in a market oversaturated with crap.

If you're looking for newer 2D games, there's the GBA, DS, and Neo Geo Pocket. Plenty of good games there.

There's plenty of good freeware PC games too. :P

If all you're looking at is the mainstream crap, that's all you're gonna find. Look elsewhere. :P

The gaming industry has been total shit and the year it all began was 1999. I think it was mostly due to Quake3, Half-Life, and Unreal Tournament too. Not saying that they all suck total ass or anything but it started the trend of graphics over gameplay.

Also, I agree with a lot of the stuff on the link Ichor posted, except, for one, the part about how games should be sold through the internet. I always hated game companies who did that. It worked great for shareware, but at least you could get a physical copy if you registered. There are those of us who are fucking unlucky and have our brand new fucking hard drives erase all our data. There are those of us who just love to collect stuff and don't completely consider ourselves owning a gem until we have the CD on our shelf and the manual in our desk.

It also had a list of game developers who are true heros of the gaming industry or some bullshit. The only two I recognised are Richard Garriot, who made the Ultima game which, though innovative, are actualy very dull for the most part, and Will Wright who has increasingly become worse and worse. Fuck, I say brian Fargo, who is the fucking king of storylines and game concepts. Or Peter Molynux or whatever who can come up with an entirely innovative and fun game once a year which totaly owns everything else but then he gets fired for being different or some shit.

Man, I wish I had money or programming skills. I come up with new, VERY FUN gaming concepts on a weekly basis, but due to my lack of money to order people areoung or programming knowledge to make the shit myself, I'm stuck here only WISHING there were fun games out there. Fuck, give me $50,000 and the programming skills of Carmack or even Quasar, and I could totaly have my own independant game company on par with Id, Blizzard, Black Isle, or Bullfrog. But no, I'm stuck here playign fucking Quake 3 Clone 7394 and Boring Storyline Quest 75. Fcuk that shit.

Also, Scuba is dead on.

But fuck it, I'm drunk and I've been depressed before so my opinion doesnt matter does it?

There there, nobody's opinion matters. Anyway, I hope you've been recording your ideas, cause you never know, you might be in a position one day to turn 'em into games.

Danarchy said:
I think it was mostly due to Quake3, Half-Life, and Unreal Tournament too. Not saying that they all suck total ass or anything but it started the trend of graphics over gameplay.

Well, Valve was fully aware of something like that, apparently:

Main Entry: half-life
Pronunciation: -"lIf
Function: noun

[...]

2 : a period of usefulness or popularity preceding decline
or obsolescence