Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RiffRaff

new doom remixes

hey all

i have recently released a bunch of new remixes from the original doom. they feature real guitar played by me, and sequencing performed in reason. i was gonna wait til i had every track from the game remade, but i want to get some feedback. and i'm short on time so that'll take a while anyway.

so anyhoo, here's a link to my site:

http://dangoodale.com/

the link for the Doom songs is at the bottom of the Media page.

give me feedback!

ps. - funderful?

I didn't have time to listen to all of them, so I checked out e1m1, e1m4, and e1m8 (to hear the guitar :D). From what I heard, it sounds really good.

Drums could use some work. You asked which drum and choir patches I was using...drums are the "Rock Close Kit" combinator patch, with some EQing and mixing changes. You'll need to move around the snare drum and some of the hats and occasionally toms to make it sound right with the Doom midis, but it's a very nice kit when you get it to work how you want it to. The choir patch is the MELCHOIR NN-19 patch, with some EQing and stuff.

E1M8's guitar sounds like it might be a bit too stylized, IMO. I don't know. Also, maybe if you turned down the left-panned delay on it and added some more subtle, shorter ping-pong delay? Whatever. These sound really nice, from what I've heard. Good job.

Mike

Best non-mixes I have heard!
EXCELLENT WORK!
You would be insane to not complete this collection of songs...really.
The drumming is great In my opinion. And I'm a drummer! (Electronic though so what's my opinion worth =P haha)
I listened to E1M1 and 8. And played snippets of the rest. All wonderful!
I'm putting them on my iPod and going to bed now.
Thanks a lot for submitting these. And in response...
E1M1 is great. reminds me of black metal...the drumming is perfect
and the guitar in 8 is great
don't touch it :P

Love your choice of instruments; they're the most realistic sounding I've heard in a Doom remix.

But I'm not sure E1M4 is completely suitable for in-game listening as it is. The tempo could be faster, and the silence at the start and at the end makes a gap which, during gameplay, I find a bit jarring. It also feels rather incomplete due to the parts from the original which you omitted.

Also, the transposing. I don't mind it too much usually, like in the Overclocked remix of Doom 2 MAP23, but E1M4 and E1M5 just feel like they should be in F# and D respectively, for some reason. Might just be the purist in me talking.

And E1M1 would be perfect, except it's cut off just a hair too soon at the end.

thank you for the replies! any black metal comparison makes me smile :)

Iori Branford said:
But I'm not sure E1M4 is completely suitable for in-game listening as it is. The tempo could be faster, and the silence at the start and at the end makes a gap which, during gameplay, I find a bit jarring. It also feels rather incomplete due to the parts from the original which you omitted.

true, true and true. however, this is really a pretty damn tedious song, and i got tired of transcribing every little syncopation/modulation. when (if?) i do it over that'll all be fixed.

Also, the transposing.

in e1m4 that was intentional - but as i just said, ill probably do this one over, so no worries. and e1m5, i honestly dont know how that happened. i just checked my transcription and it's correct. I exported it again and it is now correct. oddddd. that'll be updated as well.

good ears, man.

and the cut at the end of e1m1 - thanks for pointing that out. that'll be fixed too - probably happened during the metamorphosis into mp3 format.

and thanks again, criticism = good

Hey RiffRaff, would you be interested in doing a collaboration? I've spent many long hours trying to get my guitars to sound good, but of course they're no substitute for the real thing. I'd be honored if you wanted to work together on some of the more guitar-centric tracks. If not, that's okay, too, don't worry about it.

Mike

Those are superb!
Very very good stuff, the only gripes I have are guitar echo e1m8 and the lack of e1m9 ;)

e1m1 is probably my favourite (though I dont' know what Alastair is talking about, it sounds more like Death than Black to me.)

Personally, I believe that E1M8 is the best on the list, excellent use of the Dist. Guitar, I like it.