Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ultdoomer

E1M4 Yellow Door Bug

When I reach the yellow door in E1M4 and try to open it with the key, nothing happens at first. If I wait a little for the noise that sounds when a platform is finished rising, and then try to open it, it works. This costs time though, and I was wondering what is causing it? I took the path Andrey took in his e1uv-404 demo. Is there some linedef I have to make sure I don't cross to prevent this from happening?

PrBoom, but I'm pretty sure it happens with the original executable too. I can't find it anymore, but I swear at some point I saw this mentioned in a textfile at COMPET-N.

ultdoomer said:

PrBoom, but I'm pretty sure it happens with the original executable too.

Uh, no...and not in any port I have, including prboom 2.2.3.

I've never encountered this problem before. Are you accessing the door from the side which is near where you get the gold key (not from the swastika room route)? There's a red switch beside the door which you use to bring up the platform that allows you to get from the stairway to the exit in the next room. You should be able to either press this first, then open the door, or vice versa.

Use3D said:

Uh, no...and not in any port I have, including prboom 2.2.3.

I think it only happens under certain circumstances. That's probably why you haven't encountered it.

Use3D said:

Are you accessing the door from the side which is near where you get the gold key (not from the swastika room route)?

Yes. I sent the moderator of this board a demo to post in this thread that recreates the bug. If he does, -skipsec to 37 seconds to get to the part I'm talking about. If you convert this demo to text, you'll see that I'm pressing "use" at the yellow door when it isn't opening. The gametic where this starts is #1563.

This is a known issue.
IIRC, it is because the linedef in front of the door is too close to the door line.

annoying bug when you are trying to do a n1m4 speedrun.

I've experienced this a few times as well, after doing the e1m4 straferun-over-the-nukage trick in attempts to speedrun the level. I use Doomsday Engine.

Opulent said:

This is a known issue.
IIRC, it is because the linedef in front of the door is too close to the door line.

annoying bug when you are trying to do a n1m4 speedrun.

Actually, if you look in a level editor, you'll see that the door has the same tag as a lift that appears earlier in the level. Whenever this lift goes down, the door won't function until it has raised up again.

The only way to avoid it, as such, is in a max run... with no monsters around to trigger the elevator, the door works fine.