Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlatheDoomer

/newstuff wad limit

Hello,

Last time I had multiple WADs in the /incoming folder, only one was reviewed. Is it only one WAD per author? Because currently I will have 3 WADS in the incoming folder. Will this just be a special /newstuff since it being halted up for a little while?

Thanks,
SlatheDoomer

No, but you really shouldn't be releasing 3 wads in one newstuff anyway. Newstuff isn't a "please give me feedback on my first wad" thing. At your level, you're better off finding a different server and asking for feedback on these forums.

You can upload as many wads as you like to the archive, when you like, as long as they are in accordance with the archive's rules.

Having said that, and especially if your work could still do with more playtesting, it might be a good idea to wait a while until the current situation is resolved.

SlatheDoomer said:
Last time I had multiple WADs in the /incoming folder, only one was reviewed.

What were they? Did they all get accepted into the archive?

Grazza said:

You can upload as many wads as you like to the archive, when you like, as long as they are in accordance with the archive's rules.

Having said that, and especially if your work could still do with more playtesting, it might be a good idea to wait a while until the current situation is resolved.What were they? Did they all get accepted into the archive?

I released Ozarka, then I released Aquafina. It was on that one week that the /newstuff wasn't until like wednesday or so because of the reviewer having RL issues.

not meaning to thread hijack but where can you upload if you don't want reviews? that could be an option for him too, and I'm also curious.

Well, you could put a note in the text-file saying "Please don't review this", and upload to the archive as normal.

Grazza said:

Well, you could put a note in the text-file saying "Please don't review this", and upload to the archive as normal.

People would probably still review it, though, because nobody ever reads text files these days (I can't count the number of people that tell me they have problems with my weapon mods when they run them in the wrong source port).

WildWeasel said:

People would probably still review it, though, because nobody ever reads text files these days (I can't count the number of people that tell me they have problems with my weapon mods when they run them in the wrong source port).

Hey, I ALWAYS read text files. D:

Xanthier said:
where can you upload if you don't want reviews?

You have three things:

• The idgames Archive, managed by Ty Halderman (of Team TNT) and Frans P. de Vries. It's the biggest archive for DOOM (and related) add-ons, going back to the early days of DOOM. Most people upload there, knowing it's the central hub for user made DOOM stuff. It is not on Doomworld.

• The /newstuff Chronicles, a weekly chapter here on Doomworld (started in '00) where staffers or regulars independently preview (or review) the contents of /newstuff, the "new uploads" directory at the aforementioned archive.

• The idgames Archive database here on Doomworld that lets you easily browse and search the idgames Archive with access to all the mirrors for downloads. The database was put up not too long ago by Linguica.
Reviewing is independent of uploading, and the reviewing is done wholesale for any new wads and files. It's for doomers to know something about what's been recently uploaded, and not a sponge for the egos of authors (be they bloated, lacking or otherwise.)

Sane and intelligent people do not upload for the reviews, they upload so their cool add-ons are publicly available. The reviews are a separate service and a spotlight here during their week, while the uploads stay on the archive server from then on.

Anyone not wanting the reviews can simply ignore them. Or if they are screwed up in the head and they think the reviews are a reason not to upload to the idgames Archive, they could well create a geocities account, or get hosted somewhere, and upload over there instead. That likely means less exposure to players, though.

KwadDamyj said:

Hey, I ALWAYS read text files. D:

I USUALLY do

I guess I was thinking like this, you upload a bunch of wads and they get reviewed. Then you decide to release them as a single megawad, or something.

But I guess it would be better to just release them an episode (5-xx levels) at a time and plan ahead.