Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLazenby

Doom 64 secret messages?

The interview on the "Doom 64 Absolution" page mentions a secret message hidden in Breakdown (in the n64 version). Has anyone found this yet?

Also, while playing Research Lab in the ROM, I accidentally entered a room with a texture that said "I suck at making maps". I don't know how I did it (it was near the end of the level); does anyone know what happened??

I recall that the "I suck at making maps" texture was something added by the developers to show them missing textures that needed correcting. I might be wrong, though, because I only read about it once.

TheLazenby said:

The interview on the "Doom 64 Absolution" page mentions a secret message hidden in Breakdown (in the n64 version). Has anyone found this yet?

Also, while playing Research Lab in the ROM, I accidentally entered a room with a texture that said "I suck at making maps". I don't know how I did it (it was near the end of the level); does anyone know what happened??

The I suck texture is used to replace missing textures.. mainly to tell the level designers that they suck at mapping :P

As for the secret message in Breakdown, I am still looking for that, and I don't think anyone else besides Tim and Randy found it either..

Hmmm...was it in the music? I tried to reverse and/or speed up the music and I didn't find anything...

No, it's a physical secret message. It's apparently in the red key room.

So anyway, now that I have a few minutes, I can't tell more about that secret room with that odd texture. It was in that room near the end with several exits; two of them go down into that sewer, and one goes into that room with the big stairway, the one that has a switch at the top. I was dashing around to finish the level because I had to get to class, and ran into an open corner of that main hub room, without thinking. It was yellow walled, and had a little pit. When I got in the pit, there were several items, plus a wall with that message. There was no way out of the pit, though. At school tomorrow, I'll wireframe the game in Project 64 and see where exactly it was.

EDIT: I'm weighing the possibility that I fell into one of the little cages with the zombie guys somehow, but it seems unlikely; I believe the message room was triangular. As for "Breakdown", I checked the two rooms mentioned in the interview that supposedly had switches, and came up with nothing.... *sigh*, great, another Stop 'N' Swop...

Did Tim and Randy tell us there was a secret message in Breakdown? or was this known before that? Because reaching 100% secrets is easy, so i guess it isnt a normal one. And ive tried it before, there isnt any indication of a switch in those mentioned places. Did anyone ever figure out at least something about it?

If "Doom 64 Absolution" is anything to go by, there's a secret room in the red key area with a sign that says "Curiosity Killed The Marine". I don't know how to access it though, and I don't know if the message is the same in the N64 version.

GIVING PEOPLE WAREZ LINKS IS EVEN SMARTER!

I don't know what happened... I must've hit a major glitch or something. I've tried no clipping in "Absolution", and wireframe graphics in the ROM, and I can NOT find that room.

TheLazenby said:

If "Doom 64 Absolution" is anything to go by, there's a secret room in the red key area with a sign that says "Curiosity Killed The Marine". I don't know how to access it though, and I don't know if the message is the same in the N64 version.

that was my own secret. But not true to the one in the oringinal game.

Sgt_BFG said:

where is the ROM?

haha no.

Well, since that game is like eight years old and obsolete and no one's figured it out, can you tell us how to get the real thing then??

TheLazenby said:

No, I meant the secret message! The Absolution people had to have figured it out...

Kaiser said:

They mentioned it in the interview on doom depot, but so far no one hasn't figured it out yet.

I might also note that Kaiser is one of the main people who worked on the Doom64 TC.

Well, I guess Midway pulled a Rareware then...

Is there any way to 'no clip' with a GameShark? If it's a separate room, I could just pop through the wall and check it out. But didn't you come across anything when you were making the levels for the PC version?

Embed a secret hopelessly deep in their game that no one ever finds, and then refuses to say anything about it. A good example is the "Citadel" level in GoldenEye. Rareware denied the existence of that thing, and it took seven years for someone to actually find it.

The citadel isn't a real level, it's a remnant of a 3D model of a vague draft of a level. You can only find it through a rather large amount of hacking. You can't play it, because it's just left over junk, it wasn't meant to be played. There's no detailing, it looks like shit, there's glitches all over. It's not a secret, it's a scrap. Of course they wouldn't talk about it because it's doubtful that anybody except the programmer who forgot to delete it actually knew about it!

If you really want to use a legitimate secret in a Rare game as an example, you could mention Goldeneye's button sequence activated cheat codes that Rare didn't reveal until years later. Or the ice key in Banjo-Kazooie.

Rare revealed one button pushing code (the one for more multiplayer characters). The rest were discovered by searching the game's RAM with an action replay, the cheating device. They never intended the rest of the them for release.

No, you can most definitely play Citadel! It's even got its own picture on the level menu!

Go to rarewitchproject.com; there's a download there that contains an IPS patch that you can stick to your ROM, and then play it. It has weapons and everything.

The citadel level data is partially stored on the ROM and is 100% unaccessable without patching the ROM to allow access. If memory serves me right, there was also a ZX Spectrum emulator which was originally intended to be in Goldeneye, but only brief traces remain. Almost like the asteroids minigame in Doom that never saw the light of day. These aren't secrets, they're just abandoned ideas for the game or test stuff.

Rareware do like secrets, though. In Perfect Dark, there were some oddities. A vent with a big ? symbol, some ammo that was unobtainable, cheese on every level, parts of maps that seemingly served no purpose whatsoever, etc. In Goldeneye as well there were totally random things like the glass beakers on the vent in the ceiling in the Facility level, or picking up Ouromov's briefcase on the Silo level and being able to open the roof.

I don't know about anyone else, but after the whole Stop 'N' Swop fiasco, I lost all faith in Rareware. That's pretty shitty - promote a revolutionary "hot swapping" function in your game, and then don't tell anyone how to do it. Even right before Banjo Tooie came out, they were pushing Stop 'N' Swop... and to this day, not a single person knows how to do it.

Sgt_BFG said:

WOW ASKING FOR WAREZ IS A SMART THING TO DO! PERHAPS I SHOULD READ THE FAQ!

TheLazenby said:

GIVING PEOPLE WAREZ LINKS IS EVEN SMARTER!

I don't know what happened... I must've hit a major glitch or something. I've tried no clipping in "Absolution", and wireframe graphics in the ROM, and I can NOT find that room.

I find it odd that you would ban users for asking where to download a rom of a game that hasn't been comercially sold for over 8 years on a system that hasn't been comercially sold for over 4 years. If you consider the Doom 64 rom to be warez and asking where to download it a bannable offense, then should you not also ban every user who has asked where to download the Doom 64 TC? Afterall I believe they extracted all of the sprites, textures, and graphics directly from the Doom 64 rom, so under your logic isn't this also warez?

The SECRET MESSAGE OF DAMNATION THAT YOUR WHOLE LIFE DEPENDS ON: Who gives a shit?

I'm pretty sure if the Midway guys put a message in Doom64, it's probably something like "You're a total fagwagon for trying so hard to find this message. Go alphabetize your Star Wars trading cards."

Doom_user said:

I find it odd that you would ban users for asking where to download a rom of a game that hasn't been comercially sold for over 8 years on a system that hasn't been comercially sold for over 4 years. If you consider the Doom 64 rom to be warez and asking where to download it a bannable offense, then should you not also ban every user who has asked where to download the Doom 64 TC? Afterall I believe they extracted all of the sprites, textures, and graphics directly from the Doom 64 rom, so under your logic isn't this also warez?

That's just the way is is. The FAQ states:

This forum has a strict policy against warez and copyright infringement. Do not link to or request full or leaked versions of games or content, magazine scans, ROMs, or copyrighted media such as music or movies.

Also, they are not banned.

Doom_user said:

Not exactly, as you still have to pay to be able to play the game (you need a copy of Doom 2's IWAD file to run the TC). So id Software is still making money from their game and they have no reason to prosecute.

And besides that, any place that has the Doom 64 rom file is likely to also have several other rom files, many of which are still under copyright and are protected by their respective laws. And who knows - when the Nintendo Revolution comes out, perhaps they will have the Doom 64 game for download via their classic game delivery system.