Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alastair

Music In WADs

I've been listening to lots of music in WADs but it's sort of annoying opening them up in XWE.
There has to be a better way! I know it would be wishful thinking that there would be a devoted WAD music player but is there a way to extract the music and eventually turn it into MP3?
And before anyone mentions Sycraft's (fucking) OGG files: I'm talking about PWADs like reqmus for example.
Thanks in advance =)

Use XWE to extract the music. Depending on what format it is, is what player you'll be using. Usually music is in midi format, sometimes mus, which requires to be converted to midi (using MUS2MID.exe) before it can be played.

It comes out as lump files. Which even when I rename to mus: mus2midi doesn't do anything with them.
Is there another WAD resource tool that might have the same function? (Just maybe work for me?)
Sorry to harass everyone it's just I love one of the tracks on reqmus.wad and don't like using XWE as my media player =P
(Plus this will help for adding music to the WAD I'm making)

your lucky, I can't EVEN use XWE as my music player, it won't play music for some reason, just the sounds, cause they're in WAV format.

Alastair said:

It comes out as lump files. Which even when I rename to mus: mus2midi doesn't do anything with them.
Is there another WAD resource tool that might have the same function? (Just maybe work for me?)
Sorry to harass everyone it's just I love one of the tracks on reqmus.wad and don't like using XWE as my media player =P
(Plus this will help for adding music to the WAD I'm making)

DeePsea can export a MUS file and convert it into a MIDI file automatically. In fact, the default is set up to do that.

1. First load in your PWAD:
2. Press F7:
3. Select Export Lump to a file
4. Click External Files only not required but shortens to just your PWAD. (you could select only MUS but again not required)
5. Find the lump you want (it plays them unless you disable lump preview)
6. Click the MID button and save.

sbsoftware.com click the downloads button link on the left

Thanks heaps, DeeP!
I'll try that when I get a chance.
Also should be fun trying a new editor =)

Xanthier said:

your lucky, I can't EVEN use XWE as my music player, it won't play music for some reason, just the sounds, cause they're in WAV format.

Have you got MUS2MIDI.EXE?
(I'm the last person to be giving help or advice *sigh*)

Hey deep, I tried that and it worked to a certain extent but the midi is out of time.....
It's playing different instruments in wrong parts (I don't get it....)
It plays fine in XWE but everything goes at once witht he DeeP extracted midi
I am closer now than I was though hehe.

Alastair said:

Hey deep, I tried that and it worked to a certain extent but the midi is out of time.....
It's playing different instruments in wrong parts (I don't get it....)
It plays fine in XWE but everything goes at once witht he DeeP extracted midi
I am closer now than I was though hehe.

It's possible it has different timing. There's a variable in the export to change that (although be sure to set it back to the default since that works almost all the time). It's the Auto Options button, then change the MUStoMIDI to something else. Default is 89.

As to the instruments, that's an instrument mapping issue as pointed out. Depends a LOT on your sound card. Most converted stuff is as good as or better than the original MUS. On my system has improved over time as I get newer and better devices. Conversely, I have some inexpensive test systems that although new, sound pretty bad :)

I'd be interested in receiving a link to the PWAD you are extracting this MUS from and also the name you are converting. TIA.

Alastair said:

Have you got MUS2MIDI.EXE?
(I'm the last person to be giving help or advice *sigh*)

where do I get it?

Use this instead of mus2mid.exe. It tends to do a better job of converting .mus files without any weird side effects and can convert larger files.

http://www.doomvault.com/mmus2mid.exe

Just drop a .mus onto it's icon and it should spit out the .mid in the working directory. (I believe the file originates from the prboom source, but excelblue from the zdaemon community compiled this for me as a standalone binary)

Deep: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=8194

Awesome Co-Op btw (as well as the music)

If anyone does have a sound card that allows them to extract it and play it correctly....please? :)

But I really don't understand how it is hard/soft-ware .....
It plays fine in game and in XWE (linked to mus2midi.exe) but Deep scrambles it.

Thank you for your help everyone =)

Alastair said:

Deep: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=8194

Awesome Co-Op btw (as well as the music)

If anyone does have a sound card that allows them to extract it and play it correctly....please? :)

But I really don't understand how it is hard/soft-ware .....
It plays fine in game and in XWE (linked to mus2midi.exe) but Deep scrambles it.

Thank you for your help everyone =)

You must be playing original DOOM2? I'm on XP and can't really play DOOM to check accurately.

However, I played other ports and the MUS files sounded exactly the same as the DeePsea conversion - IOW it's about as correct as it can get using other ports as a comparison in XP on my system.

I can't get mmus2mid nor mus2midi to work with XWE although I ran it manually and it too resulted in a file that sounded exactly the same as the DeePsea produced file.

Software makes a difference since MUS (and MIDI) both play "fake" instruments to result in the music one hears. The conversion selects the replacement instrument/channel, so if it's not close then it will play different. As to hardware, that makes a difference since the hardware can be programmed to have a different set of instruments for the channels.

Hope that clarifies a bit on why this stuff happens :)