Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

New Nintendo Controller Revealed

Bloodshedder said:

What the hell? I saw this on another site and figured it was a joke. Now that it's on CNN I'm not so sure.

It's on Gamespy, Gamespot, and 1Up, too.

Thats fucking stupid right there. A console controller and a tv remote are almost as different as handhelds and cellular phones. And you know how well Nokia did with that product (the cell phone/handheld combo)

You never know. Nintendo's probably got something big up their sleeves. Hopefully we'll know more stuff about the Revolution when the Tokyo Game Show rolls around...

Will someone who actually plays games be allowed to design controls please?

This is one of the many reasons I don't own a single current system. Heh, when next gen is out, I won't even have any of the previous generation.

Positive: You have a free hand to perform other tasks with.
Negative: I cannot imagine doing a Hadou-Ken with that. Unless throwing it at soemone counts.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Thats fucking stupid right there. A console controller and a tv remote are almost as different as handhelds and cellular phones. And you know how well Nokia did with that product (the cell phone/handheld combo)

button bricks are overrated

It's funny how you guys rant about the game industry sucking and never coming up with any new ideas. Nintendo does just that, and you scream for blood.

IMO it's a great controller and I think it will provide some new and interesting gameplay experiences. Just what Nintendo is good at :P

I remember how stupid I thought the DS's touch screen was when the first revealed it. Now that I've tried it, though, I understand why they went with it, because so far it's been used pretty well.

As for this remote controller, I'm not sure exactly how it could be put to use yet (not until I see some games on it), but I can already imagine the thing being used for gun games (like a Star Trek phaser of some type).

udderdude said:

It's funny how you guys rant about the game industry sucking and never coming up with any new ideas. Nintendo does just that, and you scream for blood.

I wouldn't say this is so much of new idea as it is a gimmick. For a few games it may be useful, but for the majority it will be a hinderance.

Gokuma said:

Heh, when next gen is out, I won't even have any of the previous generation.

I hate to break it to you, but this is the next generation.

udderdude said:

It's funny how you guys rant about the game industry sucking and never coming up with any new ideas.

Not all new ideas are good ideas. It's an important differentiation to make. I think I speak for the community when I say that we're interested in good ideas, not just new or original ones.

Nintendo manages to discharge another round into their collective foot. I'm amazed they keep standing considering the number of horrible, horrible ideas they've had.

udderdude said:

You know, I could make a console which requires all players to wear genuine dapper pig-hats while playing any game on it. It's a brand new never-before-seen idea, but it's totaly and utterly stupid.

I'm not sure what to make of this. On the one hand, it's definitely different from any console controller we've seen so far, and it might not be so bad. I'm actually kind of interested and excited about this, and I want to try this out and see how it works. On the other hand, I have no idea how I would play a game with such a device to begin with. I mean, we're going to have to learn how to play games all over again, and get used to the idea of moving our hand while playing games. However, I imagine if the controller is the only thing that flops, they'll just release a standard one that functions like the old ones (Microsoft kind of did that with the S Type controller after there were complaints about the size of the original one).

And when you think about it, this controller is actually nothing more than a 3-Dimensional mouse which you move through the air rather than across a mouse pad. Most of us are accustomed to moving our hand to aim in PC FPS games anyway, so it might not be too hard to learn at all.

I'm pretty excited about this, but I guess it all depends on how well it works in practice. From what I've read it sounds like it could be a pretty natural and intuitive way to interact with software.

I definitly figure this is a good development. Sony and MS have the bases covered with the traditional console evolution thing. Let Nintendo do something more radical, and break out of the box a little. It could either work well and benefit gaming as a whole, or Nintendo could fall flat on their asses. In that case there will still be many amazing games on PS3 and xbox360. It's sad to see people always complain about lack of innovation and the emphasis on graphics today (anyone else tired of ppl moaning about that btw?), and then when N does something like this, a lot of people still feel the need to take a reactionary dump on the whole idea. How about waiting to see how it works before predicting that Nintendo is doomed or about to go out of business?

Oh, and it'll be cool to turn the controller sideways and play old-school games that way.

What has ALWAYS annoyed me about some people is, when playing console games, they move around, duck, move the controller as if it's going to affect the game. It just looks dumb. Now this is going to encourage that sort of behaviour. Hooray for a generation of retarded looking gamers.

I thought this was a joke when I saw it. That can't be comfy.

I always thought controllers had reached maturation by the time of the SNES, or maybe PS. I really don't see any point other than gimmick to change from those designs. If it ain't broken...

I guess this is sort of a 3d mouse, but it seems to make all but 2 fingers and yoru second hand redundant. The article thinks developers will make games non-button dependent because of the controllers. Forcing developers to make games to fit a controller design seems to me to be completely the wrong way round to do things. Maybe it'll fit some genres.

I'm also thinking the slight wrist actions needed to move the controllers are likely to cause RSI. But then again gamers tend to have a lot of practise in those sorts of movements so maybe it'll be ok.

I don't see this as a good idea, but I will give nintendo the benefit of the doubt. They haven't disappointed me yet.

Unless you have some really fast thumbs, this thing will end up being used with two hands for some games anyway, which will make it quite awkward.

Psyonisis said:

There doesn't seem to be an advantage to use a one-handed controller.

Think of using two at once. Use one as a sword, one as a shield. Or drum sticks.