Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sinaz

Has anyone tried this type of conversion...?

Wondering if anyone has tried to make an application that takes original DOOM IWADs and attempts to convert them into DOOM3 levels by constructing 3D tilesets based on DOOM textures.

So, the idea being...

An artist takes a DOOM texture and creates a 3D tile out of it. Basically reconstructs it into an appropriate brush from DOOM3. Textures it and lights it, etc.

Then, this app takes a DOOM IWAD and analyzes it, sews together these brush tiles into the shape of the original DOOM levels, truncates tiles that reach a wall edge, caps corners with archetectural beams, and outputs it.

Now, I know the levels will be very simple in comparison to the complex architecture in DOOM3. But it might make for an interesting attempt to convert original DOOM levels into DOOM3 levels without painstakingly recreating them from scratch.

Plus, I could imagine that once a DOOM IWAD is converted, you could open it up and tweak certain details... take the rather bland and ugly exit room and finesse it into a nice portal room, for example. Then a conversion project is more about tweaking and beautifying rather than building from scratch.

Ahem. I registered this account solely to voice that idea.

Thanks for the attention, guys.

The overall problem is that using the original classic doom resources in doom3 is by all accounts illegal, hence the reasoning to recreate things from scratch.

Yeah, but...

Aside from that... the utility would be an interesting one... and it has capabilities beyond porting the original DOOM levels into DOOM 3.

Think of all the free DOOM IWADs made by end users that could be converted quickly into DOOM 3 maps.

Just a thought, really.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about... only, someone should consider making an app that analyzes the texture layout on the brushes and convert the textures to pre-made full 3D brushes for DOOM3.

Wish I could get ahold of the author of that app, but couldn't find an email addy.

I'll d/l the file and dig for a readme or something.

Thanks.

Sinaz said:

Think of all the free DOOM IWADs made by end users

I'm trying, but apart from Freedoom (which is unfinished), I can't think of any.

Sinaz said:

Yeah that's what I'm talking about... only, someone should consider making an app that analyzes the texture layout on the brushes and convert the textures to pre-made full 3D brushes for DOOM3.

If you were to use the freedom textures, may as well create normal/bump maps. Same sorta effect but a much much much lower polycount.

May try this out actually.