Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
F8al 4ce

Origin of the toxic barrel and their ingredients........

Just for a brain teaser, why are there barrels of toxic waste just lying around, not covered or concealed, who brought them there, what are they composed of? (elementally). or are their contents even present in the periodic table of elements?

It's probably radioactive fuel or similar stuff. E1M2 is the Nuclear Plant, after all, and the E1M3 and E1M6 names also help illustrate whatever industry would require the dangerous substances. I'd say the id guys were ispired by that part in Aliens where they had to hold heavy fire to avoid destroying the whole base (the effect is minimized in DOOM for play value, but is otherwise similar.) The stuff is also similar to "green slime" in D&D (particularly the equally green damaging stuff the marine has to walk around or over.)

Also, it seems John Carmack has always liked to blow things up; it's told he'd make explosives with his friends back when he was a teen (and has lately derived that same inclination to amateur space rocket development.)

The slime and barrels also help give the impression that the UAC is pretty careless and daring in the use of toxic or hazardous materials (another facet of the company whose folly unleashed Hell's denizens.)

Slime cans are open so humans working there would be attracted by that great smell and drink them. That's because greenstuff is actually a space-proof variant of oil, which smells like kiwi soda.

Since it obviously wasn't sanitary, they just puked it over'n over creating those lakes of green acid (it became that inexplosive substance due to chemical reactions in the stomach) that helped breed an alien Martian microorganism that reproduces continually, feeds on humans and looks fluid. It was it that helped demons warp through to our World, because it was Nasty. K?

What I wanna know, is that if they are explosive barrels of nukage, Why don't nukage pools erupt into a gigantic sheet of flame when I shoot them?

Submerge said:

What I wanna know, is that if they are explosive barrels of nukage, Why don't nukage pools erupt into a gigantic sheet of flame when I shoot them?

Because there is no spark, genius :-P

Shooting a barrel causes a spark, your bullet is just hitting teh nukage!

In barrels the stuff has more pressure against it and when you shoot a hole into the barrel, it pops, but if you shoot above the barrel into the slime, then it won't pop, except in Doom it will pop, because Doom doesn't have locational damage for barrels. Or maybe they pop because the bullet rips the barrel apart and there's something inside the barrel exterior material that have explosive reaction with the green stuff.

Probably the barrels are made by a concentrated solution, the slime pools could be solved with water. Or may be there are diferent liquids.

It should be cool to see in a modern wad masive explosions if you open fire over the slime.

What I want to know is how to make my own explosive barrels :-)

Submerge said:

Because the doom marine can't look down to shoot the nukage pool.

heres another possibility on the doom story:

the radiation from the barrels sped up the zombifying process the demon's used on the people! :o so THATS why they took over the nuclear plant! ah-HA!!! CLICK!! it all makes sense now! and all this time i thought they chose a nuclear plant to take over because it offers a good place for big open areas and gun fights and typical action stuff.

Dr_Ian said:

Because the doom marine can't look down to shoot the nukage pool.

Still you can shoot a rocket to a wall that it's in a slime sector, or shoot a projectile to the floor if you are in a higher level and miss a blast to a monster that is down there (this is more apreciable if a cyber is in the higher floor and you are down).

Submerge said:

Because you can't look down? :P

The barrels are full of liquid Kaboom, and are placed in case of emergency invasion by flesh-eating, conveniently-vulnerable-to-pyrotechnics monsters.

I'm sure you could stunt something up with gun triggers

Use an instant floor lowering to remove a very thin wall with SFALL on it with lava or one of those horrible fire textures behind it

If you wanted to do a pool of slime you'd need to muck about with flat transferring and probably end up needing voodoo dolls and Boom conveyors, or ZDoom scripts or whatever

Crush barrels for sound effects or just put one in the middle as an ignition (surround with gun trigger lines) and make sure the player only has bullet weapons when he reaches the spot

oh who cares!!

It'd be cool just to have the whole pool go aflame killing everything within it even yourself! Kinda like that electric weapon in quake 1 when used underwater.