Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mogul

Compatibility with the original wads

Would it ever be possible to create a version of Freedoom that was compatible with the original wads?

What I mean is, wouldn't it be fantastic if you could just plug Freedoom's Doom2.wad into your ZDaemon folder and play using that instead of id's Doom2.wad? Is this possible? Is that the state of Freedoom currently? etc, etc

The most important thing lacking is monster sprites. Only half of the monsters are done, still need a baron, revenant, archvile, cyberdemon, pain elemental, and IIRC spider mastermind.

The other thing lacking is maps. It's not considered that important since Freedoom's main goal is to play existing pwads.

Everything else is basically there (all the textures and flats).

XDelusion said:
Why does it need to depend upon BOOM?

It doesn't "need to"... it just does, as far as the included maps are concerned. The reason was probably because when the project was envisioned the map designers wanted Boom features, and because it would be packaged with a Boom based engine eventually. Keep in mind that the project was made to go along with the GPLed engines, so it's not surprising it uses features inherent to these (like PrBoom, that's distributed with some Linux versions.) But if you add a PWAD to it that doesn't meet Boom specs, it should work, since as far as the resources are concerned, it serves the same purposes as the DOOM II wad.

So for example, I could take a classic DOOM2.exe MegaWad from back in the day, merge it into FreeDOOM, the fire it up under doom2.exe or WinDOOM with no hassles?

The reason this is important to me is because of a lot of the console ports of DOOM thus far have been based upon the crappy WinDOOM source. If they were able to run FreeDOOM, then I could compile ready to go download package for people to grab for there XBOX, or for that matter ISO's packed full of goodies for the Dreamcast community, not to mention the PSP community thankx again to my man Lantus.

XDelusion said:

So for example, I could take a classic DOOM2.exe MegaWad from back in the day, merge it into FreeDOOM, the fire it up under doom2.exe or WinDOOM with no hassles?

I believe that is correct.