Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carnevil

Houston = Fucked

... shouldn't be as bad as New Orleans was with Katrina, but this is still going to be pretty bad. Say goodbye to Galveston, everyone!

Anyway, as of this posting, Rita is a Category 5 hurricane, and is the 3rd most powerful storm in the Atlantic basin on record (just behind Gilbert and the Great Labor Day Hurricane, IIRC). The computer models basically have it headed just west of Galveston and Houston, meaning that they'll be on the east side, which is the worst side.

Oh yeah, and even though the storm won't even be hitting New Orleans, experts are saying that the little bit of rain NO does receive will be enough to break the levys, which haven't been fixed from Katrina. Joy.

Wish me, Kaiser, Ty Halderman, and the rest of the affected area (read: the TX and LA gulf coast) luck.

Guess where I evacuated to when Katrina came into New Orleans...

On the way back to Louisiana (though not New Orleans) to avoid Rita. I think there's a red switch over there that opens a door in Houston.

^Talk about the shittest of luck.

If that positive projection stuff works, I'm thinking happy thoughts for you guys. Good luck East Coast.

There are plenty of factors that can cause a hurricane to lose force (that's why really big ones are rare - or at least have been historically). Let's hope some of them kick in in time.

Jeez. Two Cat 5s in one year. That hasn't happened before (though I guess Katrina was actualy a Cat 4). If a major earthquake hit the west coast within the next 4 months, it could absolutely drain the country's resources. Other possible disaster scenarios: a major hurricane hitting DC; a hurricane hitting NYC. Meteorologists are predicting they will run out of names for hurricanes before the end of the year, which has never happened before.

Oh noes, my uncle lives near Gavleston...but ever since my grandfather died, he's went from good uncle to crappy uncle, since he keeps stealing money from my grandma with his little antics. Oh well...

Danarchy said:

If a major earthquake hit the west coast within the next 4 months, it could absolutely drain the country's resources.

In the case of earthquakes, however, normally there are some warnings, such as frequent fore-shocks.

Danarchy said:

Other possible disaster scenarios: a major hurricane hitting DC; a hurricane hitting NYC.

Is that even possible? I can't remember ever hearing about a hurricane hitting that area before . . .

Two things have been refinforced in my mind due to all this hurricane crap. First, hurricanes (and hurricane season) are stupid. Want evidence? Look at the names we give them for God's sake. Secondly, speaking of which, someone must be pissed off. Who knows.

Either way, good luck folks. The Gulf Coast region sucks.

Guardian said:

Is that even possible? I can't remember ever hearing about a hurricane hitting that area before . . .

I think the farthest north a hurricane ever got was New Jersey.

Job said:

I think the farthest north a hurricane ever got was New Jersey.

They've made it much farther north than that.

Then there's Maria.

Guardian said:

In the case of earthquakes, however, normally there are some warnings, such as frequent fore-shocks.

I was reading an article the other day that said that geologists noticed Vancouver Island slipped 3 mm west silently without any earthquakes which is apparently a really bad sign. The article was rather vague and used all kinds of scientific words I hadn't heard before, so I don't know exactly what it was trying to say.

When I was about 1 year old and living in Connecticut, we were hit by a Cat 1 or 2 hurricane (Gloria). It was powerful enough to knock trees down all over the place. If it can happen in Connecticut, then it can hit in NYC, and *******ely DC. DC might be too far inland though.

Ichor said:

They've made it much farther north than that.

Where do these Canada-based hurricanes originate? I'm guessing nowhere near the Gulf Coast . . .

Danarchy said:

I was reading an article the other day that said that geologists noticed Vancouver Island slipped 3 mm west silently without any earthquakes which is apparently a really bad sign.

Where'd you read this? You've piqued my curiosity.

Several hurricanes have hit pennsylvania during my life time, ripping a tree across the street straight out of the ground

Guardian said:

Where do these Canada-based hurricanes originate? I'm guessing nowhere near the Gulf Coast . . .

There have been a few (not very many though), which have started out around there, made their way across Florida, and up to Canada. By the time they got up there they were generally weak.

Danarchy said:

Jeez. Two Cat 5s in one year. That hasn't happened before (though I guess Katrina was actualy a Cat 4).

Katrina was a cat 5, just not when it hit New Orleans. Rita won't be a cat 5 when it hits the Houston area either.

Ralphis said:

Several hurricanes have hit pennsylvania during my life time, ripping a tree across the street straight out of the ground

heh, even in Oregon there's been windstorms that ripped pretty strong trees out of the ground. One of them even knocked out the huge ass window in our living room and we had to board it up in the dark without electricity and with big gusts of winds and chunks of glass flying at us. That was good times.

Guardian said:

all of them originate off the west coast of africa