Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dear WAD makers,

My name is Stiv and I'm a musician who owns a studio. Music is my life and I've been playing Doom all my life. If there's one way to make me happy it's to make a soundtrack for Doom. Since I have a Mac and they won't make Doom for Mac properly I'm unable to play custom WADS. I also only have the Doom 1 demo. If you are making an episode and are looking for a soundtrack please send me your screenshots to poosoldier@hotmail.com and I will pick which one I like best. I will then work with you to make the soundtrack, though I am confident I have enough current songs to fulfil your needs.

I am also pissed off that Doom 3 is so untraditional and is some stupid Halo piece of crap. It's no wonder Trent Reznor (who did Quake) refused to do the soundtrack for it. By making a soundtrack for a custom Doom episode I feel as if I disaproving of Doom 3's non Doom theory. Please participate.

Eh? Since there's atleast one editor for Mac, there's bound to be support for mods for mac. I also know that there's source ports of Macs aswell.

kristus said:

Eh? Since there's atleast one editor for Mac, there's bound to be support for mods for mac. I also know that there's source ports of Macs aswell.

Wrong, I can't find ANYTHING at all. I couldn't even find an original version of the Doom 1 demo. I downloaded a moded version of it DoomLegacy.

Stop the Mac apathy. There are more people who use Macs then recording studios, graphic design, and video producing firms. I'm going to have to buy a whole new PC just to play Doom and other Dos games now.

Hmmm, I may have a project you could help me out on.... I'll email a screenie or two... I do more of concept work, but the current project I'm working on will be a compilation of all the concepts I've done into one wad. Expect an Email from me in the near future.

vomited_anal_tract said:

Wrong, I can't find ANYTHING at all. I couldn't even find an original version of the Doom 1 demo. I downloaded a moded version of it DoomLegacy.

Stop the Mac apathy. There are more people who use Macs then recording studios, graphic design, and video producing firms. I'm going to have to buy a whole new PC just to play Doom and other Dos games now.

no. There's an official OS 9 port of Doom. It reads any doom2.exe-compatible wads. There are map editors for Mac, although no recent ones. Yes, the official port is OS 9 only. No different from the official PC version being DOS-only.

There's Legacy, which you have, for both OS 9 and OS X. There's also a Mac OS X version of Doomsday Engine (jDoom). You should download it. Right now. It's very good.

prBoom and EDGE are both Mac-compatible, but there are no precompiled versions on their sourceforge sites, and I guess I'm, like, not competent enough to get them to compile.

There isn't a Mac port of Zdoom, Skulltag, Risen3D, or many other ports, but you can play Doom on your Mac.

Also...you don't need a modded version of Doom to play it on your Mac. Any regular IWADs or PWADs, unless they're specific to a sourceport that you don't have, will play without modifications.

EDIT: The only reason you can't play custom WADs is because, like you said, you only have the shareware IWAD. You can't play custom maps with the shareware IWAD no matter which operating system you're using. And I think "apathy" isn't the word you're looking for.

superloud4 said:

There's an official OS 9 port of Doom. It reads any doom2.exe-compatible wads. There are map editors for Mac, although no recent ones. Yes, the official port is OS 9 only. No different from the official PC version being DOS-only.

The OS9 Doom SUCKS. I hate it. "F" is fire, and the rest of the controls are retarded. The screen gets fucked up, it's tiny, I hate it and I'm never going to play it. I also can't find JDoom.

Thanks for your help but I think I'm going to buy a PC from the flea market instead.

vomited_anal_tract said:

The OS9 Doom SUCKS. I hate it. "F" is fire, and the rest of the controls are retarded. The screen gets fucked up, it's tiny, I hate it and I'm never going to play it. I also can't find JDoom.

Thanks for your help but I think I'm going to buy a PC from the flea market instead.

...you can change the controls, you know. And I don't think there are too many people out there who still play DOS Doom; the OS 9 version is no different (also, you can fix the graphical glitches in the OS 9 version by switching your monitor to 640x480, if you really want to use it). Why don't you just use Legacy? It's nice...

Also, get the latest Doomsday Engine release here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/deng/deng-1.9.0-beta2.dmg?download

"Vomited Anal Tract" , judging from the name, you may be a fan of Carcass? Would this mean a Carcass style soundtrack :)

TomD666 said:

"Vomited Anal Tract" , judging from the name, you may be a fan of Carcass? Would this mean a Carcass style soundtrack :)

Carcass kicks ass. The metal from Doom was most memorable but it's not all what I'm about. I have plenty of different types of music.

vomited_anal_tract - Do you have any samples of your music online?

If you dig Carcass, I like you already. :)

What type of music are you doing anyway? Any live instruments?

Fanatic said:

vomited_anal_tract - Do you have any samples of your music online?

If you dig Carcass, I like you already. :)

What type of music are you doing anyway? Any live instruments?

I do not have any samples. Whenever I try to upload music on a website it never works. I need to get my friend to properly convert it to .mp3.

Carcass is awesome.

I have many different types of music. My favourite right now is a one man choir I did. I know that sounds kind of gay, but it's really really creepy when played with Doom and you have to try it. For exciting levels I would high velocity pumped up cocaine songs. Something heavy like Carcass but showy like E1M1 in Doom 1.

Fine.

Here is my favourite one for Doom. It's that choir one I've been talking about. This is a 49 second demo of it. Get it quick, you only have a certain amount of time to download it. If you want it after this just ask.

http://rapidshare.de/files/4808196/Doomworld_Sample_1.aif.html

All of those noises you hear were made by my mouth (with a little help from the distortion effect) except a synth I used in the beginning. Pretty cool eh?

vomited_anal_tract said:

Fine.

Here is my favourite one for Doom. It's that choir one I've been talking about. This is a 49 second demo of it. Get it quick, you only have a certain amount of time to download it. If you want it after this just ask.

http://rapidshare.de/files/4808196/Doomworld_Sample_1.aif.html

All of those noises you hear were made by my mouth (with a little help from the distortion effect) except a synth I used in the beginning. Pretty cool eh?

Eh...any reason for using an .aif file? It's not a big deal on the OC-3 over ATM connection I'm on, but wouldn't a compressed format be better for some people? EDIT: oops, missed the post saying that you needed to get your friend on that...

That being said, the sample isn't too bad. It has that ambient atmosphere to it, but I feel as if the EQ could be tweaked a bit. It sounded too heavy in the mid section, but that could be personal preference as well. Also, although it's very hard to tell in the sample, does the song end up moving in any direction? Or does it flow more on the sound collage side?

Not that I could use it...being a fellow musician I'm just curious.

I could use a track, I don't have screenies yet but it will be a deserted moonbase with hundreds of slain marines, like after a massacre, it will be dusty dawn background. I'm hoping for a music theme that is low-key, fairly simple, and eerie, but once I have shots maybe you can have an easier time choosing one.
don't worry I'll email you the screenies when they come, something similar to the sample would suffice.

DJ_Haruko said:
That being said, the sample isn't too bad. It has that ambient atmosphere to it, but I feel as if the EQ could be tweaked a bit. It sounded too heavy in the mid section, but that could be personal preference as well. Also, although it's very hard to tell in the sample, does the song end up moving in any direction? Or does it flow more on the sound collage side?[/B]

Very good ear my friend. It builds up, it has suspense, it breaks down. The full version is 3:48. The original non-Doom version has a bit of an industrial intro with distorted drums and cool synths and that version is 5:39.

Xanthier said:

I could use a track, I don't have screenies yet but it will be a deserted moonbase with hundreds of slain marines, like after a massacre, it will be dusty dawn background. I'm hoping for a music theme that is low-key, fairly simple, and eerie, but once I have shots maybe you can have an easier time choosing one.
don't worry I'll email you the screenies when they come, something similar to the sample would suffice.

I was hoping that I would score for a whole episode, not just one little map, no offense. I want to get recognized by the Doom community and if I'm going to make it then I want a big major project.

vomited_anal_tract said:

I was hoping that I would score for a whole episode, not just one little map, no offense. I want to get recognized by the Doom community and if I'm going to make it then I want a big major project.

First of all. YOU are wrong. I know that what I said is correct.
Second. WTH do you want to get reconized by the doom community? Wrong reason. You'll just end up being disappointed.
Third: If you want to make soundtracks for a mod I'd suggest you appply for one you feel you will be commited to, not just one that you are asked to work on.

If you really want a major project to score, and are willing to make a good handful of tracks in many different moods, I would love to have you make the music for my project (with a lot of credit of course!).

Vital links for said project:
freewebs.com/mouac

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=31&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&mforum=shadowland

http://mods.moddb.com/5073/

and of course feel free to email me/ PM me about anything. Music will play a big part in this project.

I must agree with Kristus.
Sorry VAT but You probably won't get too noticed in a community dedicated to an 11 year old game. You'll most likely do better helping in a mod for some modern thing like Doom 3 (improving the soundtrack anyone?) or HL2.

All that said, the sample isn't too bad. You perhaps add some chorus to it or pitching of voice layers so it doesn't sound like one guy's voice ;)

Good luck to You dude.

Carcass = :rock:

Nmn said:

I must agree with Kristus.
Sorry VAT but You probably won't get too noticed in a community dedicated to an 11 year old game. You'll most likely do better helping in a mod for some modern thing like Doom 3 (improving the soundtrack anyone?) or HL2.

All that said, the sample isn't too bad. You perhaps add some chorus to it or pitching of voice layers so it doesn't sound like one guy's voice ;)

Good luck to You dude.

Carcass = :rock:

I didn't want to have my own screen before the game starts because it pisses me off when I'm waiting for something to start but I'm bombarded with useless animations of corporate logos. I wanted the player to play the wad and hear the songs and say, "Hey that's pretty good. I'm going to check the credits at my own discretion to see who wrote it and maybe I'll find some mp3s". I think that Doom 3 is a completely different theory that Doom. You walk into a hall and shoot into a dark corner and 1 guy dies. Then you walk into another small room and kill another 1 guy. Don't even get me started, but it is absolutely sacreligious.

kristus said:

First of all. YOU are wrong. I know that what I said is correct.
Second. WTH do you want to get reconized by the doom community? Wrong reason. You'll just end up being disappointed.
Third: If you want to make soundtracks for a mod I'd suggest you appply for one you feel you will be commited to, not just one that you are asked to work on.

Where did this sudden inflamation of negativity come from? I can't find Doom 2, end of story.

I want to get recognized by the Doom community because Doom is a fucking awesome game and it is in fact very influential to my life. If I can't thank the makers then I'll contribute to it's players.

vomited_anal_tract said:

I didn't want to have my own screen before the game starts because it pisses me off when I'm waiting for something to start but I'm bombarded with useless animations of corporate logos(...)

I wasn't really looking for Your POV on Doom 3 and I won't comment on it, because, simply put, I haven't played it.

My point is still valid-You'll get more chances in getting "recognised" by people when making things for a modern game, whatever it'll be.

Yet, reconsidering what You wrote about being recognised in the Doom Community I believe Your plan is pretty good. Nevertheless, good luck.

And yep, Doom is a game that still kicks ass.

You walk into a hall and shoot into a dark corner and 1 guy dies. Then you walk into another small room and kill another 1 guy.

Have You played Serious Sam? The gameplay in that game is an almost complete opposite extreme to what I quoted, i.e. tons of monsters.
Concerning Doom-I advise You to play the wads: Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed. I'm sure You won't find that kind of gameplay in those titles (one guy per one room).

Nick Perrin said:

Hehe, looks very fun! I'm definitely checking this one out.

Tract? Yeah...that seriously is sick music and I'd gladly download the 5+ min version. Upload it, but in premium MP3 quality please.

Woa that looks pretty bad ass!

Right now I'm talking with Nick Perrin but there still is plenty more of me to go around.

I want someone to make an episode where you go on a cannibal rampage and you murder all sorts of fuckers for no reason. Then they turn into zombies and there are monsters all over the place. There are also millions on uneccessary decorations like faetuses hanging from their umbilical cords, images of genital impalment, and vomited anal tracts, etc. Can anybody make me a completely irrationally violent rampage episode?

vomited_anal_tract said:

I want someone to make an episode where you go on a cannibal rampage and you murder all sorts of fuckers for no reason. Then they turn into zombies and there are monsters all over the place. There are also millions on uneccessary decorations like faetuses hanging from their umbilical cords, images of genital impalment, and vomited anal tracts, etc. Can anybody make me a completely irrationally violent rampage episode?

You should just make it yourself!! If you want to do the music for a mod, the mod is going to be someone else's idea and the only choice you'll have is to score it, or not.

If you want to see this done, you really should try making it yourself, and you can score it as well.