Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Mobile Doom RPG Reviewed

A while back there was news that id Software was developing a Doom-based RPG for cell phones, leading to much consternation and head-scratching at why John Carmack was screwing with Java mobile games instead of interplanetary rockets or next-gen 3D hyperengines. Anyways, the game is apparently done and out there, as reviews have popped up at 1Up and IGN. 1Up gives it a respectable 7.5 / 10, calling it "hands down one of the best games to be found on a cell", while IGN gives it a gushing 9 / 10. IGN giving a game a suspiciously high score? Well I never.

Yeah, it's just like how Doom 3 got incredibly high scores from reviews and yet for some reason they seem to talk about how much it sucks and how many problems it has.

Those screenshots don't really look very appetizing. It looks like Wolf3D with a bunch of random recolored doom sprites and some other random stuff thrown in. But I guess I shouldn't expect a cell phone game to look very good at all.

Personally, I think playing video games on a cell phone is an extremely bad idea. That's what handheld video game systems are for. For games. Cellular phones should be for phone calls.

I'd love to see a convertion to the PC, I don't mind about the RPG, but the maps and textures look interesting for me.

Vegeta, you already want to rip it? Its resources have a smaller scale than DOOM anyway. They are more like Wolfenstein 3D's.

AgentSpork said:
Yeah, it's just like how Doom 3 got incredibly high scores from reviews and yet for some reason they seem to talk about how much it sucks and how many problems it has.

In these cases the scores and the reviews do not seem contradictory.

It looks like Wolf3D with a bunch of random recolored doom sprites and some other random stuff thrown in.

Well, that sounds prettier than DOOM 3! But seriously, I like the recolorings. From what I can see both the engine and texturing were modified to enhance the experience on the medium.

Personally, I think playing video games on a cell phone is an extremely bad idea. That's what handheld video game systems are for. For games. Cellular phones should be for phone calls.

There really isn't much of a difference between putting a game on a cell phone or on a computer. You'll get "more primitive" games on a cellphone but with more mobility for you (play it on the bus or while waiting at the dentist appointment.) Hand held video game systems are a burden compared to a useful device like a phone, which you almost never carry in vain.

Imps really hate shotguns, and flaming skulls are always particularly vulnerable to the fire extinguisher.
The most remarkable new toy is a dog collar used for taming demonic hounds.

I mean, really. This can't hold a candle to Rougelike Doom.

Haha, I got a story accepted.

A few years from now, I'd like to see a port of this to the PC done by somebody, as my phone (along with a few others) probably couldn't handle it. :/

For the user, there is no real advantage to playing games on a cellphone.

To the publisher, however, there is one major benefit: Each and every single fucking teen in every first world country carries one around 24/7, and uses it just as often. Quality is irrelevant.

A DOOM . . . RPG.

The mere juxtaposition of these two terms is making my brain hurt.

And yet, if an MMORPG came out for DOOM, I'd probably buy it.

Darkman 4 said:
A few years from now, I'd like to see a port of this to the PC done by somebody, as my phone (along with a few others) probably couldn't handle it. :/

You'll likely have a more powerful phone "a few years from now."

The level design seem to be a mix of Doom2 and Doom3's textures. :p At incredibly low resolution. Looks fun to me, I've always loved FP RPG's such as this one.

DestX: pretty intresting site, but it bothers me when they write about the company that they call their founding father by a common nickname ("Tommy") instead of Mr. Kelliher or something more respectful/formal.

kristus said:

It bothers me when they write about the company that they call their founding father by a common nickname ("Tommy") instead of Mr. Kelliher or something more respectful/formal.

Considering the nature of the faux website, they're probably trying to put on a more 'humane' look to the company. ;)

This does have one ACTUALLY new monster, called Kronos. Looks preety fun to play. The stuff they added, like new weapons, add to the games atmosphere. I would buy it, if I had a cell phone.

Marty Razor Kirra said:

This does have one ACTUALLY new monster, called Kronos. Looks preety fun to play. The stuff they added, like new weapons, add to the games atmosphere. I would buy it, if I had a cell phone.

Not to mention that Kronos looks out of place next to the other monsters...good one Carmack...

But Adrian didn't work on this thing (though some art is his, or is based on his.) John D. Carmack did work on the engine, though.

I wonder if John did do some game graphics early on before he joined id Software.

This game kind of goes back to Carmack's roots. His pre-id games were RPGs (like Wraith and the Dark Designs games.)

destx said:

Carmack doesn't do graphics you moron.

Dude, whether he does the graphics or not, it's still his project, and if I was hoping for a sucessful project, I wouldn't include something that looked completely out of place, moron...

It'd be cool if that Kronos is the final boss, still it seems to be weaker than the cyber.
I'd love to see it converted to the pc, but with the proper quality of the pc version.

I wonder if that name was inspired by the main author of the DOOM 3 in DOOM 2 mod.

Vegeta said:

It'd be cool if that Kronos is the final boss, still it seems to be weaker than the cyber.

Well, in the original DOOM, Cyberdemon took four BFG blasts to kill, while the Spidermind only took three.

Well placed, so the strategy guide says.

Guardian said:

Well, in the original DOOM, Cyberdemon took four BFG blasts to kill, while the Spidermind only took three.

Well placed, so the strategy guide says.

The actual difficulty depends on the situation. It's much eaiser to take out a Cyberdemon than a Spider Mastermind when there's no cover.

TheDarkArchon said:

The actual difficulty depends on the situation. It's much eaiser to take out a Cyberdemon than a Spider Mastermind when there's no cover.

A good point. However, I was referring more to the numbers than the situation, and it takes at least four well-placed BFG blasts to down a Cyberdemon, and three for the Spidermind. As I said previously, that's what the good ol' strategy guide said -- and I've pretty much seen it repeated in other mods that have Cybers and Spiderminds.