Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VileSlay

diagonal lift?

I was just wondering if any one has ever tried a diagonal lift. I was thinking about trying to mess around and see if I could pull one off, but I figured maybe I should see if anyone did it before or if it's even possible.

I was thinking that maybe I could set up a multi sectored flat plane on a slope to be the "lift" and have a scripted series of plane realignments when the player hits a switch and steps on the "lift" and have an actor mover synced to the timing of the change to keep the player on the "lift" until it reaches bottom. I'm not sure if it's possible to do itlike that, or how it would look, or even how to do it. I'm still pretty green on the advanced stuff. I'm just theorizing, so if what I'm thinking can't be done let me know.

With Boom linedef types you can make diagonal scrolling walls. I bet you could use that to create the illusion of moving diagonally, with a "cage" style elevator and the wall scrolling past outside.

Perhaps a combination of instant small lifts, fake bridge tricks, and Boom's wind/conveyor effects?

Seems like an awfully uneconomical thing to do, of course.

Hm, I thought it was the quake engine rewritten to manage the Doom level data.. But I suppose that doesn't grant it the "flexability" of the quake engine.

kristus said:

Hm, I thought it was the quake engine rewritten to manage the Doom level data.. But I suppose that doesn't grant it the "flexability" of the quake engine.

It still has to work with Doom level data - and that includes getting a sector's geometry from the BSP.

But, Vavoom use it's own method for nodebuilding.. Doesn't it? I mean, the damn thing rebuilds all your IWADs just so it can run it. Or is that just so you won't get the awesomefabulous GL holes?

kristus said:

But, Vavoom use it's own method for nodebuilding.. Doesn't it? I mean, the damn thing rebuilds all your IWADs just so it can run it. Or is that just so you won't get the awesomefabulous GL holes?

It builds normal GL nodes but is doing an additional pass for the GL_VIS data. But that's not geometry. It's just a visibility table to speed up internal processing.

BTW, GL holes? That's a Legacy 'feature', right?
With GL nodes such a thing won't happen. The GL node spec requires that any sector is fully covered by its subsectors. Guess what I am using in GZDoom to render the geometry? ;)

If it can't find GL nodes in the WAD or a GWA file it rebuilds the nodes using ZDoom's internal node builder.

But it keeps the original nodes for gameplay purposes (getting a sector from a coordinate.)
Some maps with overlapping sectors might be broken if I didn't. A good example is the crane in P:AR E1M3. I haven't found a single node builder that manages to build working nodes for that part of the map.

Ok, Cool.
Well, I am all for GL nodes, I've actually asked on the legacy forum a couple of times for GL nodes since even with Zennodes streamlining for Legacy's specific needs, it still isn't enough. You still get cracks occationally. Usually they are only visible when you have a GL light near it though, but it's still big sucks to have shit like that in your maps.

I'm expecting a significant improvement on this front in the next legacy version. The 2.0 rewrite that is. But the current Alpha doesn't even have openGL yet, so I haven't been able to test anything.

Jehar said:

Is this for a JediKnight tc by any chance? >D

no, I'm just workin on one map right now that has naught to do with SW. my wad is gonna be base style, with the main facility set in the side of a mountain. I wanted the lift for a setion I was planning that would take you to a deep part of the facility to get to the main generators.

there was this suggestion I got on the zdoom forums:

talonos said:

Very simple. Make the interior of a lift. Then, at the place you want the lift to end up, make a replica of it. When you hit the button to make the lift go, a script activates that makes certain wall textures go diagonal for a bit. After a few seconds of watching the wall scroll by, it teleports you to the other lift (Which is identical) You could make the script so that you can't access the lift if you're at the bottom and it's at the top, or if you really want to go for fancy, you can make a skybox, and make it so when your elevator moves, the skybox viewpoint moves with it. Then put a skybox window in your elevator and watch as the landscape outside moves diagonally.

Just ideas. Typically, if you want something done in doom, you can fake it.

although I would love to have this in my wad, I think I'm just gonna skip it and put either a gated sloped road way or a standard lift.

What about automated stairs, you know those ones in shopping centers...

If the texture on the stairs scrolled, the floor of the stairs would be pushing the player/objects and the stairs would go a bit up and down.

It'll probably look like something.

Or a conveyor belt with some boxes made by sprites, that move all along and reapear at the top/botton of the slope. Some decorations nearby to make it look more industrial.