Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Zin

Browser Molestation!

Ok, I'm using Firefox and Doomworld is the only site I am getting this crap. When I'm visiting Doomworld I'm getting a Winfixer hijackware that shits it's ads onto my system. I think one of the ad banners is lauching this (probably some sort of javascript).

You know, I'm getting that too occassionally. It's actually the main reason why I stopped posting before. Me, I find that if I CTRL+ALT+DEL the page, Mozilla closes down and I can start over no problem.

Of course, I sadly have no idea if this 'succeeds' in getting anything onto my actual computer. So far, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary.

I was getting this crap yesterday and even when I hit X it pops right back up.
IE is still hardly better than firefox for numerous reasons so don't even throw that out there.
I use Mozilla and I work for a pro Web developer all we use is firefox, because ie is a security nightmare and we dread using it, my boss also preaches it to his customers whenever the oppurtunity arises. So there you finally heard it from a professional :P
(Because I heard someone say something about that in a thread that was post-helled.)

Xanthier said:

I was getting this crap yesterday and even when I hit X it pops right back up.

Yeah, hitting their offered 'Cancel' or 'X' buttons doesn't do a thing.

I've visited hundreds of shady sites with old trusty and I don't have any pop-ups, virai or anything. but then again I don't know what else is protecting this computer.

I think what you guys need is some kind of pop-up protection instead of a different browser, ever think of that?

We have better things to do than mediate a browser war. If you get something that you think is trying to install spyware or other nasties, tell us what page you got it from (forums, main page, hosted site, whatever), what browser you're using, and if possible, the contents of the advertisement. Then maybe Telefragged can have a few words with their advertising content provider.

Okay, here's what I remember:

It normally occurs after I've logged out of the forums, and I'm given the option to go back to the main page. Once I click onto the main/home page, I get the message that some program is about to scan my computer for spyware or adware or whatever.

I can't remember the "company," but if I get the pop-up again I'll EDIT this post.

As for pop-up blockers, as far as I know, my ZoneAlarm is on, but perhaps not functioning . . .

Bloodshedder said:

We have better things to do than mediate a browser war.

He started it :(

What I should have said was, maybe you need some extra protection, the castlecops.com site has plenty of advice and downloads for the job, at least I found it did.

adblock solves it though the problem wasn't even here today, only yesterday and it was whenever i went to the main page of the forums.