Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofhell

WOW, utterly disgusting

This was posted before, but geez, it's impressive. I'm half considering installing that so I can play it on my GeForce FX 5200 and 3.0 Ghz Dell system without having to put up with crappy performance - it's kinda anime cell-shaded style.

As impressive as it is to see a Voodoo 2 run Doom 3, those screenshots are just as ugly as I remember them being the last time I saw them. Hell, even my craptacular Geforce 4 MX runs the game at about the same speed as the Voodoo 2 does in the screenshots, yet it looks 1000x better and the quality is so much greater than those shots are. I can sympathize with those that have an inferior card to run the game, as is obvious by how dated my card is. However, there is a time where you just have to admit to yourself that your card or computer isn't going to run the game without a serious quality and enjoyment loss, if it can even run the game at all. I frankly think that anyone with just a Voodoo 2 who wants to play the game should either upgrade their card or throw in the towel and play all of the older games out there that are just as good, if not better.

Yeah, that's . . . Well, I appreciated how light it was, but damn . . . Those were some ugly screenshots. I'll take dark-DOOM over that any day.

this also looks the same as a kyro2 as well
basically anything that does not support cubemapping will give that effect, not just voodoo2 hardware

I agree that it is still as fugly as the first time I saw it.

I can't even begin to imagine what kind of person would want to play Doom 3 like that.

While that does look disgusting and all...sometimes you gotta do what you have to to get something to work. That's life.

Heh...sadly, that's not as bad as the demo looked on Baldy's old compuiter. Now THAT was horrid.

Bashe said:

While that does look disgusting and all...sometimes you gotta do what you have to to get something to work. That's life.

That's not what I call a working game. Half the gameplay involved darkness and the atmosphere was a very important element. Don't tell me that's a working game. It's broken. You're better off not playing it. Or waiting until you've got a new computer, and no, there is no reason to stick to such an old piece of junk, unless maybe you're 10 and your dad won't buy you a new one. And in the mean time play some other game that was designed for such a configuration.

If that's the only way I'd be able to run doom, I'd wait until I could afford an upgrade. That's just, horrendous. Games eight years ago look better than that.

What is it with playing DooM3 on crappy computers?

I play DooM3 on High with everything maxed out - I have a GeForce 6800 Ultra 256mb with 1024 DDR RAM along with a Athlon 64 3800+ and I used the unpack and graphical tweaks (including the framerate limit break) so that DooM3 and ROE both play no lower than 60fps, and let me say that DooM3 is my favorite game now because of that and other reasons too.

My point isn't to brag about my computer or how it runs (as I'm sure a lot of you guys have the bleeding-edge systems that owns this one) but to show that even though games should have the gameplay where it counts, high-quality graphics like DooM3's can still be fun if you're willing to enjoy the visuals.

Now about the cost of these visuals....well that's another thing.

DooMtheThird said:

(as I'm sure a lot of you guys have the bleeding-edge systems that owns this one)

Well I wouldn't consider a 4 year old box to exactly be "bleeding edge". :p Ok, so I can hardly ever get a steady framerate in Doom 3 but I'd rather have it run at what it's at now than use some thing like what they've done here.

Technical question: The Voodoo 2 DID have support for colored lighting... why dont you see any of that here?

Because it's an abomination of hacked drivers/configs and somewhere along the line it probably got turned off.

It doesn't look that bad.
Anyone know where to download it?

Wobbo said:

Technical question: The Voodoo 2 DID have support for colored lighting... why dont you see any of that here?

Everything is fullbright because there's just no way to pixel shade surfaces.

Caco-Puff said:

For some reason this makes me want to make a DooM 3 mod for System Shock 2.

Not the other way around?

kristus said:

People already tried that, and got shut down.

Yeah, I heard something about that. Boy I'd like to play SS2 in new engine. I didn't relaize this was dead.

And thanks for the link.

DooMtheThird said:

You can do it 2 ways:
Open the console and type [Com_Fixedtic -1]
Or put it in an autoexec.cfg file line [seta Com_Fixedtic -1]

That doesn't work for me, just sets it to 0 :/